Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2011   #161
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans agree with S Danieal Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmojo.com View Post
Just chatted with a friend of mine who is a Bears season ticket holder.

He described Manning as a hard hitter but one who would blow alot of coverages. He said "Good luck with Manning. I'll miss his inability to read a route."

I still feel like Manning is a massive improvement over where we were at...but these comments have me mildly concerned.

A radio guy from WGN in Chicago was on 610, said pretty much the same thing. He called him a "decent" player but nothing spectacular. He said hes good in run support but struggles in his coverage ability.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #162
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Is there room to sign somebody like Sensabaugh (however you spell) to pair with Manning?
Probably not if they plan on signing others. We got two starters in the secondary, that's enough for now. Need to focus on front 7 guys, specifically linebackers and a NT.
Old 07-29-2011   #163
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

and Leach
Old 07-29-2011   #164
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I decided to check Manning out, so I watched the Bears played the Eagles.
In this particular game, Bears were in cover 2 mostly and they played the two safeties deeper than I've ever seen the Texans played them under Bush.
They let Vicks have the underneath to prevent any long throw.
The front 4 pressure was good. They stopped the run with 7.
They didn't leave any CB on an island but only a couple of times when they blitzed (single safety.)

Manning stepped up a few on the TE.
Overall, he did what he was supposed to do and didn't miss any assignment and didn't blow any coverage.

The Bears had a good lead and went into prevent defense in the 4th quarter.
Bears won 31-26 (Eagles scored a TD in garbage time.)

Overall, this was not a game to really see what Manning is all about.

The main thing is I don't see any blown coverage like that Bears fan hinted.
But it was only one game!
Good to hear!

Everyone blows coverages. Its the nature of the game. I was just suprised that he was perfectly happy losing him as a player.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #165
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
A radio guy from WGN in Chicago was on 610, said pretty much the same thing. He called him a "decent" player but nothing spectacular. He said hes good in run support but struggles in his coverage ability.
I'll watch some more to see whether that's true or not, but in the game against Vicks, he did well on the TE.

In the meantime, I like this Chicago babe better than that radio guy, that's for sure!

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #166
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I want to see Texicutioner send an appology to Rick ....

Hey Rick , know yer busy bro but , next weekend is on me at the Colorado.

Manning is the first legit Safety the Texans have ever had .... under any coach.
I'm not sending Rick jack. He should have been fired two off seasons ago. It shouldn't have taken him 5.5 years to finally go after a S and look for a good free agent CB when his job was on the line for the 3rd off season now. If he goes after more players next off season, then I'll completely back off of him. Signing two meaningful free agents going into his 6th season isn't bragging material when it took him that long to figure out that building through the draft alone wasn't going to get it done. It's a good sign that he is trying to move in the right direction though, and I'll give him kudos for that. That may not be enough for you, but I still want Cowher or another coach here. THis team has enough pieces to go all the way. They need a HC though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #167
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm not sending Rick jack. He should have been fired two off seasons ago. It shouldn't have taken him 5.5 years to finally go after a S and look for a good free agent CB when his job was on the line for the 3rd off season now. If he goes after more players next off season, then I'll completely back off of him. Signing two meaningful free agents going into his 6th season isn't bragging material when it took him that long to figure out that building through the draft alone wasn't going to get it done. It's a good sign that he is trying to move in the right direction though, and I'll give him kudos for that. That may not be enough for you, but I still want Cowher or another coach here. THis team has enough pieces to go all the way. They need a HC though.
I have been saying the players are not the issue with this team for awhile now not as Rick and Gary.
Old 07-29-2011   #168
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmojo.com View Post
Good to hear!

Everyone blows coverages. Its the nature of the game. I was just suprised that he was perfectly happy losing him as a player.
I just finish another game, against the Seahawks and Hasselbeck in week 6.
Manning played mostly SS, but also saw the FS spot.

Again, he was where the safety was supposed to be on any given play.
Bears were mostly in cover 2 just as the other game, but the safeties played closer than against Vick (which is understandable.)

He did well in run support and didn't blow any coverage (but also didn't figure in any help situation).
The pass action was never really near him enough to require him to help.
But he was there just in case.

No news is good news so far, I guess!

I'm going to watch him against Wade's Cowboys next.
Old 07-29-2011   #169
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Danieal Manning S, signs with Texans

I don't think that this has been posted. Nice article.

Quote:
The Chicago Bears experienced another free-agent defection early Friday morning, when strong safety Danieal Manning reached an agreement to join the Houston Texans.

His agent, Russel Hicks, said it was a four-year deal worth $20 million, with $9 million in guarantees.

The loss doesn't come as a surprise, after Manning turned down a three-year offer from the Bears last season.

"Man, it was tough to leave Chicago because I had so many bonds up there with coaches and players, especially the players, they were great," Manning told ESPNChicago.com. "But deep down inside, I feel like I got what I deserved. I feel like Chicago made their decision and I had to do what was best for me.

"I really didn't know this offseason, because of all the stuff with the CBA and the lockout, if the Bears were going to try and bring me back. I was like, well maybe they can't talk to me because they can't due to the lockout. As the lockout ended, I assumed Chicago would at least make a fair effort to bring me back. I mean, you kind of want to play out your career with the first team you played with, the first team that drafted you. But it didn't happen."

The departure leaves the Bears with little proven depth behind veteran Chris Harris and rising second-year player Major Wright. Craig Steltz is the only proven backup, but the club drafted third-rounder Chris Conte as a potential reserve, in addition to adding undrafted rookies.

Had the sides been able to come to an agreement for a Manning return, the safety had already been told he'd be involved in a three-player rotation, somewhat similar to last year's, which still featured Harris and Manning taking the majority of the snaps.

So Manning chose to sign with the Texans after receiving interest from several suitors, including the 49ers, Browns, Saints and Jets.

"I feel like those [Texans] coaches genuinely care about you and are putting together guys that want to win," Manning said. "They told me they envision me roaming the field on defense. It's a different scheme than I played in with the Bears, it's a 3-4 obviously, but it's a great opportunity. I talked with head coach Gary Kubiak, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and secondary coach Vance Joseph, they all sound like great guys and they told me how they want me to play. I told them I want to learn to play Houston Texans football.

"They told me just free safety right now, but anything can happen. As you know, in my past, things have a tendency to change for me on defense."

A fifth-year veteran, Manning made arguably the most significant impact of his tenure with the team in 2011, when he contributed 85 tackles, an interception and five pass breakups. The performance came as somewhat of a breakthrough for Manning, who played virtually every spot in the secondary, before the team finally settled on him at strong safety.

During a season in which the Bears allowed the second-fewest touchdown passes (14), and gave up multiple touchdowns just twice (best in the league), Manning was one of five safeties in the NFL who played 75 percent or more of their defensive snaps to not give up a touchdown.

Manning also missed just three tackles, second-fewest among other NFL safeties who played 75 percent or more of their team's defensive snaps.

Manning contributed considerably on special teams as a return man as well, which is likely a role he'll take on with his new club. Since 2008, Manning leads the NFL in kickoff returns of 40 or more yards.

"To be honest, we only spoke about returning kickoffs briefly," he said. "I didn't talk to the special teams coach at all. I think they have excellent return men already in place in Houston. At this point, I was just happy to be part of the Texans organization. I'm totally on-board, and now I'm going to do my absolute best to try and help this team win some games and make the playoffs."

Despite Manning's resume, the Bears placed their hopes on the inexperienced Wright, even though late last season they tried to re-sign Manning to a contract averaging $2 million per year for three years.

Sources within the organization said the Bears wouldn't increase that offer, leaving Manning to shop his services elsewhere.

Michael C. Wright covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000. ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson contributed to this story
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #170
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't think that this has been posted. Nice article.
Quote:

"They told me just free safety right now, but anything can happen. As you know, in my past, things have a tendency to change for me on defense."
So... Quin is the Strong safety? Or are our Siamese Safeties both considered Free at this point?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #171
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
So... Quin is the Strong safety? Or are our Siamese Safeties both considered Free at this point?
This is what got me confused.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #172
Ckw

I think he misspoke. The coaches, and Glover himself, have all said Glover is the free safety. Manning will play strong safety like he did in Chicago last year.
Old 07-29-2011   #173
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
I'll watch some more to see whether that's true or not, but in the game against Vicks, he did well on the TE.

In the meantime, I like this Chicago babe better than that radio guy, that's for sure!

Think we can sign her too?
Old 07-29-2011   #174
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The coaches talked to Manning about free safety? What happened to Quin? Even if both safeties are similar what does this comment say? Maybe the coaches will go back to S-1 & S-2?
Old 07-29-2011   #175
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The coaches talked to Manning about free safety? What happened to Quin? Even if both safeties are similar what does this comment say? Maybe the coaches will go back to S-1 & S-2?
This is what Vance Joseph was talking about in his videos on HT.com.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #176
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I just finish with the Bears/Cowboys game in week 2.
Manning had a very nice game, all around.

There's no way this guy can be lacking in coverage!
He reads run/pass very well and reacts quickly.

Again, he played mostly SS, but also saw some action at FS.

Witten had 5 catches, but none when Manning took him on.
When Manning gets on Witten, he shuts him down.

Looks good in coverage over the top, always showing up where he was supposed to be.
He got back to defend Miles Austin late in the game to prevent a possible TD pass that could have tied the game.

He read and reacted well to stop barber on a short yardage situation at the goal line, hitting him in the air.

No wonder Phillips wants him!

I think I'm going to take a break now.
What a way to spend a day off!
Old 07-29-2011   #177
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Looks good in coverage over the top, always showing up where he was supposed to be.
He got back to defend Miles Austin late in the game to prevent a possible TD pass that could have tied the game.

He read and reacted well to stop barber on a short yardage situation at the goal line, hitting him in the air.

From what I've read, last year he did well. Before that, the bears didn't know what to do with him - Moving him around as a safety, playing him as a nickle cornerback, etc. Maybe last year he just clicked?
Old 07-29-2011   #178
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

good call, no wonder Phillips wants him! He has been busy telling Rick who he wants & Rick has done his job giving him what he wants.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #179
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:

Once again, thanks for all that. Repped.
Old 07-29-2011   #180
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
From what I've read, last year he did well. Before that, the bears didn't know what to do with him - Moving him around as a safety, playing him as a nickle cornerback, etc. Maybe last year he just clicked?
Coming out of a small school like Abilene Christian, it's fair to say that he needs some time to develop.

I think that because Manning has some speed, they wanted to try to see if he can handle the CB position.
And the nickel would be a good starting point for a young player.

Also due to his speed and running skills, they wanted him to lighten the load for Hester in the KR department.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read