Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-26-2011   #381
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nnamdi and Houston

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Jets' interest in Nnamdi Asomugha (and a dream pairing with Revis) is real interesting. Remember, Nnamdi played 5 yrs for Rex's brother Rob. I do think this about Nnamdi -- Winning is important this time around. And I believe he'd sacrifice some money for the right situation.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #382
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Do I think he can help us? Hell yeah I do. Do I think we're one CB away from the superbowl? Nope. I think there are too many positions of need on defense to invest it all in one player. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if we did sign him. I think that there are pros and cons to both scenarios.
What do you think our many positions of need are? I can think of 2 "need" positions. CB and S. We could use LB depth as well.
EDIT: Signing Aso will significantly reduce our need at S.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #383
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do I think he can help us? Hell yeah I do. Do I think we're one CB away from the superbowl? Nope. I think there are too many positions of need on defense to invest it all in one player. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if we did sign him. I think that there are pros and cons to both scenarios.
I think the psychological impact is understated. Front 7 know that Aso would lock down one side of the field. The other DBs know they don't need to help him. Having Aso puts their minds to rest.

Also, having Aso fires up the team even more becuase its a sign from ownership that they will do ANYTHING to win.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #384
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Antonio was the #1 rated DE available in FA the year we got him.

To be fair can you name any other players of Aso's caliber that have even come on the market for FA since Smith has been GM?
You're trying to use Antonio Smith as an example that Smith can pull off a high caliber player that's being targeted by several teams? Lol!

That's funny.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #385
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
What do you think our many positions of need are? I can think of 2 "need" positions. CB and S. We could use LB depth as well.

Each and every single one!!! C'mon man!!! We ALSO need LBs, Nose, WR, FB, OL, KR, punter.... that's just for starters.

Nnamdi's a pipe dream. We can't afford him...
Old 07-26-2011   #386
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I don't expect a whole lot from Houston this year anyway.
Old 07-26-2011   #387
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if the Texans potential participation in Hard Knocks could have been leveraged as added value in bringing Aso in.
Old 07-26-2011   #388
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You're trying to use Antonio Smith as an example that Smith can pull off a high caliber player that's being targeted by several teams? Lol!

That's funny.
Can you name a high caliber player of Aso's level that has even been available since Smith was the GM?

Old 07-26-2011   #389
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post

Each and every single one!!! C'mon man!!! We ALSO need LBs, Nose, WR, FB, OL, KR, punter.... that's just for starters.

Nnamdi's a pipe dream. We can't afford him...
Really? We have a very good WR corps, our OL is very good, with some depth, A little guy named Holliday is supposed to be one helluva kick returner(injured last season), Phillips says he's happy with our NT personnel. I agree we need LB help, but who would you sign as a FA that commands enough $$ to torpedo signing Aso? What on earth do you mean we need a punter? Besides, a punter is gonna screw the salary cap? Are we signing Janakowski? C'mon man yourself.
Old 07-26-2011   #390
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? We have a very good WR corps, our OL is very good, with some depth, A little guy named Holliday is supposed to be one helluva kick returner(injured last season), Phillips says he's happy with our NT personnel. I agree we need LB help, but who would you sign as a FA that commands enough $$ to torpedo signing Aso? What on earth do you mean we need a punter? Besides, a punter is gonna screw the salary cap? Are we signing Janakowski? C'mon man yourself.
First off, we can do better at the #2 WR position. I like Walter, but he's not a huge threat and lacks that little bit of extra speed. I think he's clutch, but I still think an upgrade would help.
As far as Holliday goes, I wasn't impressed with him last preseason and I think the best thing that could gave happened to him was to get injured. I think he hesitated too much and looked a little scared. I wouldn't bank on him being a big contributor this year, but I hope I'm wrong.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #391
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow there sure is a ton of negativity in this thread.

We're in the first day of the most interesting FA period in my lifetime. Can you not wait until this all shakes out before you go slamming our GM, our coach and the franchise? Geez.
c10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #392
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First off, we can do better at the #2 WR position. I like Walter, but he's not a huge threat and lacks that little bit of extra speed. I think he's clutch, but I still think an upgrade would help.
As far as Holliday goes, I wasn't impressed with him last preseason and I think the best thing that could gave happened to him was to get injured. I think he hesitated too much and looked a little scared. I wouldn't bank on him being a big contributor this year, but I hope I'm wrong.
Our offense isn't based on deep threats like Desean Jackson. It's possession, precision, blocking. You can upgrade the speed of WR2 and remove Walter, but there are very few other WRs in the league who do the things he does AND upgrade that speed.
c10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #393
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
We don't have a competent GM that knows how to pull off a deal on a marquee player of Aso's caliber that has several suitors. It's that simple.
This could possibly be true. Certainly, I can offer no evidence to the contrary. Personally, I don't think that is a very important quality in an NFL GM. I'll take a GM that can draft well and has an eye for talent, rather than one whose greatest asset is getting the guy that everyone agrees is the best player at his position.

Unfortunately, Smith's draft record is mixed and a number of the team's personnel decisions have been questionable to say the least. So, even though I still have some hope, I can't make a strong argument that Rick Smith is a very competent GM. And, I'm terrified the Texans are going to royally screw in free agency over the next ten days. I have hope, but zero confidence that they have properly prepared for the strange set of circumstances that the lockout has created.
Old 07-26-2011   #394
Doppelganger
None

Ok. So I will expect the worst and hope for the best.

Old 07-26-2011   #395
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
OK. You addressed two out of five positions you listed. We've had a top 4 passing O the last 3 seasons and you want to deep six Aso to improve that. What??? Are you nucking futs??? KR and PR guys are usually not huge FA signings. So tell me again about all the holes we need to fix? If we had Aso last season, we're talking our 2nd trip to the playoffs and winning the SB. Without Aso this season, we're talking about the '12 season as "our year". I'm sick of next year being "our year".
Old 07-26-2011   #396
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK. You addressed two out of five positions you listed. We've had a top 4 passing O the last 3 seasons and you want to deep six Aso to improve that. What??? Are you nucking futs??? KR and PR guys are usually not huge FA signings. So tell me again about all the holes we need to fix? If we had Aso last season, we're talking our 2nd trip to the playoffs and winning the SB. Without Aso this season, we're talking about the '12 season as "our year". I'm sick of next year being "our year".
I don't know if frank bush would have known what to do if he had aso
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #397
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
It would've been nice to find out.
Old 07-26-2011   #398
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Even Aso can't overcome playing back ten yards from the line
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #399
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd trade our offense for any other team's. No one has a perfect roster.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #400
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Even Aso can't overcome playing back ten yards from the line
Maybe Aso would've freaked out the secondary like Pollard did by "disguising" his coverage. Or maybe he would've done what ge does best and coaches be damned. Pull it off and the coaches can;t ***** too much.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read