Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2005   #21
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

We're going to have to stay with the 3-4. If our defense is subpar now, switching to a 4-3 would make it worse for awhile. Then what do we do with guys like Babin, Peek, and Anderson all DEs in college converted to OLB for the 3-4. Either way, Pburnt is still going to get burned and thrown at all season until he can make a play. How many passes and TDs has Buchanon given up in 2 games?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #22
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

They would play DE and some OLB. Subpar now - couldnt be much worse if we switched. Not that I think its going to happen anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #23
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think our personnel better fits the 4-3, with the exception of LB depth. peek & babin are pass rushers, they're just undersized. 10-15lbs in the offseason puts them at the same size as kearse, freeney, rice, taylor, etc. wong & greenwood are flexable, they'll fit in either scheme. the biggest advantage IMO would be sliding gary walker to the LE spot where he's going to see a lot more one on ones and payne still ties up 2 blockers. sign a big name LB and/or CB in the offseason and draft BPA.
Old 09-19-2005   #24
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I've been a 3-4 or 46 defense since the Oilers. Keep in mind that Walker went out and Smith did for a while. Our line backers have been shuffled around and I do expect a huge improvement from those guys after the bye. I am much more concerned about Buchanan at the corner. If we had any kind of offense, we would have been in the first 2 games.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #25
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man
Good point...the key there is that teams that have success with the 3-4 have been running it, drafting for it, and developing guys for many years...Steelers and Patriots are the case in point. It was mentioned during the game by the announcers that Cowher was asked about this very point and he said the absolute key is in drafting over time and being able to develop the players in the correct mold. I think we can ID 4 impact defensive players that we really missed the boat on (Sharper, Glenn, Foley, Posey). 3 of the 4 are starting and are significant players for playoff level teams.

PS...if we do switch to the 4-3 (which wouldn't hurt my feelings) then I highly recommend we do a double Ohio State dip with Hawk and Carpenter in the rounds 1 and 2. Heck...I would pick-up either one of those guys even if we don't switch to the 4-3.
I would absolutly love it if we got Hawk. I dont know were in the first round he will be taken but I would realy like for us to pick the best LT we can get with our pick. Then trade back into the first and prey for Hawk. Hawk can play ILB or OLB in my defense any day. I can dream cant I
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #26
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

what's all this, it takes 4-5 years to get a good 3-4 defense in place ?

San Diego did it very well last year, and Dallas has switched to it and used it well this year.

Here's the obvious point. Capers' 3-4 scheme is inferior to the other 3-4 defenses in the league. Its a FACT. He doesn't attack very much at all, and consistenly relies on minimal guys rushing the passer.

Another obvious point. Casserly is not good at getting the right players to fit the 3-4. San Diego switched well in one year, Dallas looks pretty good in their 3-4. HOUSTON has never gotten a pass-rush from their version of 3-4 in 3 years. Dallas went out and got Spears, Canty, Ware in the last draft. And they all seem to be great picks already. Casserly had a 3 year head start on drafting for the 3-4 and he's failed miserably.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
what's all this, it takes 4-5 years to get a good 3-4 defense in place ?

San Diego did it very well last year, and Dallas has switched to it and used it well this year.

Here's the obvious point. Capers' 3-4 scheme is inferior to the other 3-4 defenses in the league. Its a FACT. He doesn't attack very much at all, and consistenly relies on minimal guys rushing the passer.

Another obvious point. Casserly is not good at getting the right players to fit the 3-4. San Diego switched well in one year, Dallas looks pretty good in their 3-4. HOUSTON has never gotten a pass-rush from their version of 3-4 in 3 years. Dallas went out and got Spears, Canty, Ware in the last draft. And they all seem to be great picks already. Casserly had a 3 year head start on drafting for the 3-4 and he's failed miserably.
Some good points here, and really they are the reason I am not in favor of switching to a 4-3. We have the personnel here to run a 3-4 much better than we have it for a 4-3. Freeney, Peppers, Jason Taylor, etc. don't come along every day. Our problem is not the 3-4. Plenty of teams utilize it very effectively. Our problem is talent evaluation, development, scheme, and coaching adjustments. So rather than fix the wrong problem (by switching to 4-3), I say go right to the root. For the record, I don't really care which defense we use, as long as we get pressure on the QB. I just think we currently are better positioned to do so with the scheme we have in place, if properly run.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #28
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish we would blitz with our safetys more.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #29
J-Man
Veteran

Don't get me wrong, the 3-4 is fine...if you can support it with your talent level. The biggest thing that bothers me is that you get pigeon holed into they type of guys you need which will lead you to bypass better athletes.

I think linebacker might be the best example; I you are forced to look at undersized DEs in the draft to fill your OLB role. I happen to think that you should take some good looks at plain old LBs of any stripe with the knowledge that it is easier to get a guy to add 10-15lbs than to teach him how to drop into coverage.

When you have the right personnel the 3-4 is clearly an effective platform to pressure the QB from, it's just building that personnel base.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #30
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we used more blitz packages we wuldnt have a pressure problem. Dom just is to gutless to allow blitzing and you get picked apart.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #31
SESupergenius

I can't believe anyone is serious about switching to a 4-3 and it being the savior for our defensive woes. This is sad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read