Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-26-2011   #181
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nnambi and Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
There's a difference. Offensively, the Texans can scheme in a way that ensures Andre will be involved in the game and have an opportunity to make a lot of plays.

An opposing team, on a passing down, will often have 5 eligible receivers running routes. Nnambi will only be covering one of those five. Good offenses can scheme and work an offense in a way that minimizes the impact Nnambi will make. After all, consider how bad the Raiders defense has been the past four years while Nnambi has been, dominant, healthy, and in his prime.
Dale, I don't disagree with what you're saying in this thread. I think it would be smart to get a two or three very good/quality players that are immediate starters. See Johnathan Joseph + Eric Weddle + whoever... Although you may get more bang for your buck and I think that would be a smart way to go, I think it's harder to accomplish. I think Joseph re-signs with Cincy, Weddle will be hard to get... I think we'll be stuck with Richard Marshal and Gerald Sensabaugh. ugh!

I also agree with your statement about an opposing offense "avoiding Nnamdi" thus taking him out of the play. That's why big boys in the trenches matter so much, they're a part of every single play. With that said, what Nnamdi does is allows our Safeties to focus on other parts of the field and the 4 other Receivers. That will help a ton.

I'll be interested in how Stanford Routt plays these next three years without Nnamdi across the field from him. Raiders just handed him a 3 year $31.5MM contract.

I think the stars are aligned for us to get Nnamdi. He's the exact kind of player that McNair covets. He's an All Pro, best at his position, Great work ethic, smart, literate, quality person, does a TON for the community, and can provide excellent veteran leadership that is desperately needed in our secondary. We've got the capital to sign him. Andre and him are great friends, we just got one of the most respected DC's in the league. I think McNair is going to go after him... it's just a matter of Nnamdi realizing that with him here, Houston is the frontrunner to win our division.

I normally would be against spending this kind of $'s on a 30+ year old player but I think he fits perfectly for what we want and what we need on this team. Additionally, he played sparingly his first 2 seasons and didn't become a full time starter until his 3rd year, 2005. So he's got only 1 year of full time starting experience than Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans and Eric Winston. He's in his prime (not past it) and the Texans are in "WIN NOW" mode over the course of this next seasons and the following 2-3,4 years... that will be the length of his contract.

Come on Nnamdi, just sign on the dotted line. PLEASE
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #182
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The big FA's we sign every year?
The FA market, largely due to the CBA being opted out of, has been horrible the past couple years. This is the market that makes up for those last couple awful ones... So, the Texans had better be active!
Old 07-26-2011   #183
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a quick point I want to make about Aso's health record, since it seems to be brought up quite frequently: All because a player has never had a major injury before does not mean they are immortal. It's football. Things happen. People are going to go crazy if we pay a guy $20 million a year and he breaks a finger or something this year and isn't quite the same, or tweaks his ankle next year and misses some games.

Granted, I wouldn't let the fear of injuries stop me from signing somebody. But if you spend this kind of money on one player and something does happen, you're screwed. End of story.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #184
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be extremely excited if we signed Nnamdi, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Texans targeted and signed two quality CBs such as Joseph and Grimes. That would immediately bolster our secondary, hopefully giving us more salary cap room so that we can sign a safety whom we can play the first game.

If I remember correctly, we haven't really addressed our safety issues yet, and I can't find any info on us signing an UDFA safety.
Old 07-26-2011   #185
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
When an Aso becomes a FA you MUST put your best offer forward.
Sure. What kind of money in your mind would it take to ensure that your offer is the best offer?
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #186
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
When an Aso becomes a FA you MUST put your best [for the team] offer forward.
Fixed it for you.

People can disagree on specific numbers but at the end of the day everyone should agree there is a cut-off price on what to pay for one player.
Old 07-26-2011   #187
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mainly, the one thing they can't do, is not participate in this free agency.
Nobody should disagree with this point, even if we all disagree with each other on what they should do, they should avoid being the people who have to sign their back up to the back up to the back up plan for FA.
Old 07-26-2011   #188
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Fixed it for you.

People can disagree on specific numbers but at the end of the day everyone should agree there is a cut-off price on what to pay for one player.
I agree. I am not saying we should hand him a blank check. We need to figure out the most we can pay him and then make him that offer. I say he is better than going for a lower quality CB and safty combo.

If we don't get him, we don't get him, but at least shoot for the stars once in a while.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #189
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Nobody should disagree with this point, even if we all disagree with each other on what they should do, they should avoid being the people who have to sign their back up to the back up to the back up plan for FA.
I have defended the organization for not spending money the past two seasons in FA because the market has been so poor... However, this one is great. If they don't spend this year, I'm going to be leading the anti-McNair and Kubiak crowd. True story.
Old 07-26-2011   #190
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

A Nnamdi Asomugha signing can not only put us in the playoffs or further, but it is flat out the signing of the franchise. You make a franchise with the signing of a Nnamdi Asomugha. You're saying "I know what we need, and I'm getting the best available no matter what."

Signing him is more than just on-the-field change.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #191
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I'd be extremely excited if we signed Nnamdi, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Texans targeted and signed two quality CBs such as Joseph and Grimes. That would immediately bolster our secondary, hopefully giving us more salary cap room so that we can sign a safety whom we can play the first game.
The Texans won't sign 2 FA corners this season unless one of those is Jason Allen. They have too many young corners they want to keep and develope. They can only justify keeping 6 on the roster, and likely 4 of those spots will be taken by KJack, Harris, Carmichael, and McMannis, That leaves us our 1 big FA and either McCain or Allen, hopefully they bring back Allen.

Joseph + Weddle + Midtier CB has a much lower chance of happening than Aso + (Gholdson or Sensebaugh). Even (Joseph or Grimes or Marshall + Weddle) has less chance of happening. As much as I like Weddle, I see him coming here less likely than Nnamdi. There is just too much open market for him and he has zero ties here which is usually our main sticking point for landing FAs.

Edit: I'm wrong you can justify having 7 on the roster, but at max only 6 will be active on gameday. 7 is pushing it though and leaves you weaker somewhere else on the roster
Old 07-26-2011   #192
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have to hope that Kolb gets dealt for Rodgers-Cromartie. It would really help our chase for Nnamdi, since the Eagles would be much more reluctant (or out of the race entirely?) to make an offer on him.
Old 07-26-2011   #193
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Just a quick point I want to make about Aso's health record, since it seems to be brought up quite frequently: All because a player has never had a major injury before does not mean they are immortal. It's football. Things happen. People are going to go crazy if we pay a guy $20 million a year and he breaks a finger or something this year and isn't quite the same, or tweaks his ankle next year and misses some games.

Granted, I wouldn't let the fear of injuries stop me from signing somebody. But if you spend this kind of money on one player and something does happen, you're screwed. End of story.
And he's 30 years old and not getting any younger. After 30, that's when the nicks and the "nagging injuries" start to happen. He's on the downside of his career, and with his last big contract, there's no incentive for him to give 100%.

It doesn't really matter anyway. He'll need to have his head examined if he chooses the Texans over a playoff caliber team that has decent chance of going to the Super Bowl. Like Herv said, he'll say all the right things to the Texans, but laugh himself silly under his breath.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #194
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone think that by signing Nnamdi we're not just immediately improving our team and chances to win but changing the way players around the league view us? We look at our roster now and can point to all these players that are ranked near the top of their positions. But there's this stigma about Houston. I think other players this year, next year, etc. would raise their eyebrows and say "damn, Houston is serious." I think it would only raise the interest level of players. But more than that, winning is the biggest thing that will get this franchise respected across the league.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #195
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
And he's 30 years old and not getting any younger. After 30, that's when the nicks and the "nagging injuries" start to happen. He's on the downside of his career, and with his last big contract, there's no incentive for him to give 100%.

It doesn't really matter anyway. He'll need to have his head examined if he chooses the Texans over a playoff caliber team that has decent chance of going to the Super Bowl. Like Herv said, he'll say all the right things to the Texans, but laugh himself silly under his breath.

Why would he want to come to a team with fans that have this mentality?

You DO know that Nnamdi Asomugha would be the difference-mak-----ah who cares.
Old 07-26-2011   #196
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's a difference. Offensively, the Texans can scheme in a way that ensures Andre will be involved in the game and have an opportunity to make a lot of plays.

An opposing team, on a passing down, will often have 5 eligible receivers running routes. Nnambi will only be covering one of those five. Good offenses can scheme and work an offense in a way that minimizes the impact Nnambi will make. After all, consider how bad the Raiders defense has been the past four years while Nnambi has been, dominant, healthy, and in his prime.
How is shutting Off a portion of a teams offense a bad thing?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #197
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
The Texans won't sign 2 FA corners this season unless one of those is Jason Allen.
Jason Allen's not a FA - he's under contract for 2011.

LINK
Old 07-26-2011   #198
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Mortensen
Quote:
On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all; that's a Super Bowl contender if they land him.
Seems purely subjective, but I hope he's right.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #199
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Something I quickly photoshopped before work.

Old 07-26-2011   #200
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Would be better without the text, lol.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read