Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-26-2011   #121
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5006 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nnambi and Houston

If this gets done I can't imagine what im going to do. Just imagine guys. Peyton will never be able to throw to reggie wayne again!
Old 07-26-2011   #122
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
If this gets done I can't imagine what im going to do. Just imagine guys. Peyton will never be able to throw to reggie wayne again!
But Dallas Clark is always ready.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #123
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I do not want them to outbid everyone for Nnambi! No way. We should avoid these sweepstakes and get a CB for half the money, that is 2 or 3 years younger, and not already preparing for his life after football!
Old 07-26-2011   #124
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I do not want them to outbid everyone for Nnambi! No way. We should avoid these sweepstakes and get a CB for half the money, that is 2 or 3 years younger, and not already preparing for his life after football!
As much as I would like Aso, I agree that no player is worth "breaking the bank" for unless he's a proven pro-bowl quarterback in his prime...And other than a once-in-a-decade chance, how often does that happen?

Most of these unbelievably expensive free agents usually fall well short of their pay more often than not.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #125
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ordinarily I would agree with you. I think in this case Nnamdi is a must sign. This is one case that a free agent is worth what he gets. To this defense (especially with Phillips defense) the abilty to shut down half the field is incredible. He changes the entire game with one signing and he does it for 3-5 years.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #126
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What CB is going to even be near his level that only wants half? I'm genuinely curious on this.
Old 07-26-2011   #127
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5006 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree we should not spend all our money on Nnamdi like I said in a different thread and get other players but I mean if we get Nnamdi then how can you be dissapointed? Its pretty much like getting another Andre but for the defense
Old 07-26-2011   #128
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans need to win THIS YEAR.They need to make the moves that makes them competitive NOW. We're all tired of waiting for "next year" and the best WR in the NFL isn't getting any younger. The time is now!
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #129
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
What CB is going to even be near his level that only wants half? I'm genuinely curious on this.
This free agent market is flooded, particularly at the CB position. I'm not sure which players will be the best bargains, only that the principles of supply and demand will ensure that some will be. We have never seen a market this loaded with young talent in the salary cap era. Here are some names for you:

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

and that list excludes the 30 and 31 year old FAs that will also be in market:

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

I'm not saying that all those guys are great players. But, some are/will be very good and smart teams will have the opportunity to assess which ones will have the best value as the NFL moves through this truncated free agent process.
Old 07-26-2011   #130
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
The Texans need to win THIS YEAR.They need to make the moves that makes them competitive NOW. We're all tired of waiting for "next year" and the best WR in the NFL isn't getting any younger. The time is now!
agree w/stemp. we owe this to Andre Johnson too as well as the fans

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #131
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, how DARE we actually make a bold move to become competitive!

We know you're fine with 6-10 and giving Gary and Rick a lifetime contract. Some of us, however, want a little bit more.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #132
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Phillip Buchanan
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #133
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I'm sorry, but anything but the signing of Aso won't cut it for me, and no amount of reasoning will pacify me. I don't want a second tier player, it's time for this front office to step up and deliver.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #134
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree we should not spend all our money on Nnamdi like I said in a different thread and get other players but I mean if we get Nnamdi then how can you be dissapointed? Its pretty much like getting another Andre but for the defense
There's a difference. Offensively, the Texans can scheme in a way that ensures Andre will be involved in the game and have an opportunity to make a lot of plays.

An opposing team, on a passing down, will often have 5 eligible receivers running routes. Nnambi will only be covering one of those five. Good offenses can scheme and work an offense in a way that minimizes the impact Nnambi will make. After all, consider how bad the Raiders defense has been the past four years while Nnambi has been, dominant, healthy, and in his prime.
Old 07-26-2011   #135
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are so lost sometimes. He's not old, he's not going to break the bank, and how many times have we gone out and signed a cornerback who was half the price of someone like Aso? How's that worked out so far?

I don't understand the reluctance to go out and get the best possible solution to one of our biggest problems over the last decade. A great player is on the market at a position we need and we have the chance to get him for money. Not picks, not players, just money. What is wrong with Texans fans that they can't imagine a reality where the team pays big money for the closest thing to a free agent sure thing in memory? Someone is going to sign him and that team will still be able to field a roster of players at least as good as ours I promise you. That team will have money to sign rookie contracts and they'll be able to pick up street free agents during the season to fill holes. He'll be expensive but he isn't going to render your team incapable of operating.

In 3-4 years his contract will look like a bargain compared to what the top free agent CB costs (whoever that may be).
Old 07-26-2011   #136
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
As much as I would like Aso, I agree that no player is worth "breaking the bank" for unless he's a proven pro-bowl quarterback in his prime...And other than a once-in-a-decade chance, how often does that happen?

Most of these unbelievably expensive free agents usually fall well short of their pay more often than not.
So a QB is worth breaking the bank for but the ability to take half the field away from that same QB is not worth it?

What if your secondary is absolutely terrible and you could go from the 30th secondary in the league to instantly an average secondary? This is the one player that you can probably add 3-5 wins to your total instantly. Seriously. Without any other changes to our defense last year, add Nnamdi and you are talking about a team that wins 9-11 games.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #137
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This free agent market is flooded, particularly at the CB position. I'm not sure which players will be the best bargains, only that the principles of supply and demand will ensure that some will be. We have never seen a market this loaded with young talent in the salary cap era. Here are some names for you:

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

I'm not saying that all those guys are great players. But, some are/will be very good and smart teams will have the opportunity to assess which ones will have the best value as the NFL moves through this truncated free agent process.
You tell me which of those guys are going to be anywhere near Nnamdi in talent, and will only want half. None of the guys on either of those lists qualify that I can see.
Old 07-26-2011   #138
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

Don't you ever get sick of watching the Texans sift through the bargain bin looking for "the best bargain" and trying to show the world how smart they are? After ten years of this haven't you figured out that the Texans aren't exactly good at this (Arian Foster's presence on the team notwithstanding)
Old 07-26-2011   #139
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Yes, how DARE we actually make a bold move to become competitive!

We know you're fine with 6-10 and giving Gary and Rick a lifetime contract. Some of us, however, want a little bit more.
I would like to see our finite resources used most efficiently. I have no problem with fans believing that paying for Nnambi is the best utilization of those resources. I happen to disagree. What I find intellectually insulting and immature, is the idea that the ONLY way the Texans can show they are serious about improving the team and winning this off-season is to sign Nnambi. That is such a silly straw man that it seems pointless to even discuss football with people that think that way.
Old 07-26-2011   #140
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
But Dallas Clark is always ready.
Mario will cover him, hehehehehe.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read