Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011   #81
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson's plight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Two times?

In man coverage?

Can you show me?
I doubt that he can .... More often than not they played some form of zone.

The zone coverage was exploited time and again between the LB and CB as well (and most notably) between the CB and either S. Teams could go to that and exploit it at will .... and the Texans defensive staff never figured it out.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #82
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I doubt that he can .... More often than not they played some form of zone.

The zone coverage was exploited time and again between the LB and CB as well (and most notably) between the CB and either S. Teams could go to that and exploit it at will .... and the Texans defensive staff never figured it out.
Exactly!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #83
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at this screen shot and count the number of defensive players on the field.

Look at both the offensive and defensive formation:

- The Skins were in offset-I right, single TE on the left.
They have two receivers on the right.
The outside receiver will go into motion ad run a fake reverse.

- The Skins will fake both the reverse and the run before McNabb pulled up to make the long throw.

- The Texans were in a 4-man front.
They shifted the LBs to the left: LOLB Diles lined up between the numbers and the hashmarks (nearest to the slot receiver Galloway); MLB Ryans was just inside LDE Smith and outside of the FB, and ROLB Adibi was pretty much accross the RB.

The Texans had Quin on the TE, with Pollard backing him up.

Jackson lined up on the wide-out, but did not follow him all the way as this guy went into motion and faked a reverse.
He (Jackson) simply tightened up his split and took on the slot Galloway.
This is zone defense, not man coverage.

As the play developed, you will see Diles following the FB who went to the flat and ran down the side line while Demeco simply dropped back and did not follow anybody; same goes forAdibi.

Both Quin and Pollard also dropped back when they read pass.
This looks like a "supposedly" 5-2 zone, except the Texans were missing a safety.

- Based upon the line-up, if there was a deep safety, we would expect to find him, most likely, behind MLB Ryans.

The slide show cannot find that safety anywhere on the field.
(I have 4 different camera angles.)

But first, here's the line-up.

Old 07-19-2011   #84
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Now, I'm going to try to post the link to photobucket.

See if you guys can get there and see the album with 4 sub-albums.

See if you guys can find Wilson anywhere on the field.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...to%20Galloway/
Old 07-19-2011   #85
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Click on one the sub-albums, "111" for example.

When it opens up, there should be an option "view as slide show".

When the slide show starts, there's a play and pause button on the bottom left so you can play it manually.

When you finishes with a sub-album, click on the "back" option on the top right hand to go back to the previous play.
From here, you can click on "62-yd pass to Galloway" to go back to the root directory in order to view the other sub-albums "222", "333", and "444".
Old 07-19-2011   #86
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Now, I'm going to try to post the link to photobucket.

See if you guys can get there and see the album with 4 sub-albums.

See if you guys can find Wilson anywhere on the field.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...to%20Galloway/
I can't find him. Were we only playing with 10 guys?
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I can't find him. Were we only playing with 10 guys?
We sure did!
He should be somewhere between the zebra and Jackson, but he went phantom to the cameras.
Old 07-19-2011   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I've made my album public so everybody can see what's going down.

As you can see, I've been learning on the go.
The organization is still a mess.
Most sub-albums have the photos in reverse order.
(There were a few out of order, but very few.)

There were hardly any comment so it can be hard to follow.

It's probably best to wait for me to point to a certain sub-album after I post some comments on the board.

At any rate, regarding the 2-receiver route, here's one successful defensive play by the Cowboys against the Bucs in 09.

The Cowboys actually stayed with cover 2 (even though the second safety - Hamlin - can still come down to play the run and didnt affect the outcome of this play.)

A safety (Sensabaugh) committed a penalty by pulling on the receiver face mask that was not called, but it shouldn't affect the outcome of the play either.

The important player was RCB Jenkins (the off-side CB like Quin) who came back up top to take over the place of the deep safety. He made the INT.

The LCB Newman who was on the receiver (in Jackson's role) did not defend the route.

The other safety (Hamlin) stepped down to play the crossing route as usual.

Note: These two sub-albums have the photos in reverse order.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...oys_Bucs_2009/

Got to go. More later!
Old 07-19-2011   #89
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...000d5d81aa7e0d thanks god

Galloway had to slow down to catch the ball. But still caught it. sure no safety but come on he was K.J man.

And correction 76 my bad i said 2 when it was actually once that galloway got deep on jackson. The other time it was against Wilson and one of our LBs with Pollard about 15 yards behind.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #90
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post

Galloway had to slow down to catch the ball. But still caught it. sure no safety but come on he was K.J man.

And correction 76 my bad i said 2 when it was actually once that galloway got deep on jackson. The other time it was against Wilson and one of our LBs with Pollard about 15 yards behind.
So Jackson was the guy who ended up with him , that view doesnt give us enough information to know what the coverage was nor the route combination to give us an idea if there was a blown coverage and who might have made a mistake.
There are at least three recievers on that side of the field and you cant see the reciever opposite , he could have run a crossing route to disrupt the coverage.

Looks to me the big mistake was Pollard being out of position - Either bit on the play fake or over commited to another reciever.

Plays like that are probably why Pollard was released.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #91
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So Jackson was the guy who ended up with him , that view doesnt give us enough information to know what the coverage was nor the route combination to give us an idea if there was a blown coverage and who might have made a mistake.
There are at least three recievers on that side of the field and you cant see the reciever opposite , he could have run a crossing route to disrupt the coverage.

Looks to me the big mistake was Pollard being out of position - Either bit on the play fake or over commited to another reciever.

watch the actual game highlights on NFL.com it shows jackson covering him pretty much from start top finish. it was man
Old 07-20-2011   #92
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:

Regardless it was still jacksons man. i mean hey he could of fallen down, but we dont blame the turf/grass. so i dont blame pollard.
Old 07-20-2011   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
watch the actual game highlights on NFL.com it shows jackson covering him pretty much from start top finish. it was man
Let me play!

OK, so you insist that it was man coverage.

There were two receivers on the field.

Who was in man coverage on the other receiver?
Old 07-20-2011   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

FYI, Jackson actually overran that play due to smart route running by an experience receiver who knows exactly where the ball is going.
(I have uploaded a new series of photos in case you got tired of figuring it out!)

Also, FYI, you're missing the big picture to begin with.
Old 07-20-2011   #95
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Regardless.

We aren't saying Jackson played like the best corner in the league.

We aren't saying that Jackson doesn't have room to improve.

All we are saying, is that he played like we expected a rookie to play.

Anyone else, expecting anything else just aren't being realistic.
Old 07-20-2011   #96
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Let me get back to the two-receiver route.
The way the Cowboys defended it successfully against the Bucs.
It was born out of two concepts that I've noticed in Wade Phillips' defense:
The inverted cover 2 and the drop-kick call.

The play against the Bucs where both CBs actually have more depths than the two safeties (resulting in an INT by the off-side CB Jenkins) is clearly of the inverted cover 2 gene.

The drop-kick call, as I had mentioned before, involved only two main players: the off-side CB and the safety.
Since I've already had this example in the INT against TY Yates, I thought I'd bring it up again.

By now, I think I had given at least a glimpse of how the concept works.

This is the diagram I had drawn and posted some time ago:

Old 07-20-2011   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Against TY Yates, the defensive line up is like this:

The TE was strong left; he will run the crossing route.
The receiver on the right will be the target.

The receiver on the left will be in motion and run a fake reverse.
The offense, of course, will also fake a run (to the right) to try to draw at least one safety up.
These two actions combined might even bring both safeties up.
Old 07-20-2011   #98
76Texan
Hall of Fame

As the receiver on the left went into motion, the weak side safety came up.
He was getting ready to play the reverse.

The RCB also followed; where he ends up depends on what he sees.
Old 07-20-2011   #99
76Texan
Hall of Fame

With the reverse and run fake showing, both safeties stepped up, but notice how the RCB immediately dropped back.

Here you can also see the receiver on the right and the TE on the left start their route.

Old 07-20-2011   #100
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Now, the deep safety realizes it's not a run, so he drops back.
He can still see the TE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read