Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011   #61
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson's plight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think that is what 76 is trying to do.

People generally watch the game & they pick somebody to blame. Usually if you have one bad decision after anther, it get's easy to say "I was right, I know better than Kubiak, Smith, McNair"

Since Kareem was the #1 pick,we didn't pick Kyle Wilson, we didn't sign Dunta, Lee played us, & we let Jaques Reeves go, everybody wants to blame all their frustration for Kubiak & McNair on Kareem.

Wade is going to say what he said for several reasons. #1 it's true, #2 he knows the Texans fans don't want to hear what 76 is saying. If a Wade came out saying that, we'd start the "McNair strapped him to Kareem just like he forced Carr on Kubiak" crap.

#1 is true, because he's a rookie & has a lot to learn. If I was Wade, Kareem wouldn't be in my top 5 things I need to worry about right now.
If Kareem isn't top 5, I bet the secondary, as a whole, is #1. It has got to be fixed and fixed now. I don't care if it's a better pass rush, better coaching/scheme or 1 or 2 top FA's. whatever it takes to reach at least average. Just get that side of the ball to hold up their end.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #62
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I like the still shots - frame by frame you can break down the details of the play more thoroughly. Not just the focus of the play but the other things that made the play work (or fail) like the protections. You miss so much in real time ..... Just ask the refs.

I dont believe that people appreciate the effort you put into these threads - I enjoy them , keepem comin.

(If you do use youtube , It would be nice to have the still's as well)
Yeah, keep them coming 76. Good stuff.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If Kareem isn't top 5, I bet the secondary, as a whole, is #1. It has got to be fixed and fixed now. I don't care if it's a better pass rush, better coaching/scheme or 1 or 2 top FA's. whatever it takes to reach at least average. Just get that side of the ball to hold up their end.
Secondary is a big problem.. if not #1 (NT maybe) it's #2. But the problem isn't & wasn't the corners. Safeties... if you look at 76's examples, the safety biting down on the run fake imo is what sets everything else in motion. If he's going to bite, the off corner has to take his place, or the other safety has to recognize & widen out.

We're talking about 40+ yard passes in his examples, the other safety maybe could have gotten over in time to do something.

& while we did give up many of those, we gave up more underneath.. crossing routes, quick outs to TEs, screens to RBs.. that's on the LBs & the DL. They have to recognize screens (& we are terrible at it) & the LBs have to control the middle of the field. They just have to.
Old 07-19-2011   #64
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Secondary is a big problem.. if not #1 (NT maybe) it's #2. But the problem isn't & wasn't the corners. Safeties... if you look at 76's examples, the safety biting down on the run fake imo is what sets everything else in motion. If he's going to bite, the off corner has to take his place, or the other safety has to recognize & widen out.

We're talking about 40+ yard passes in his examples, the other safety maybe could have gotten over in time to do something.

& while we did give up many of those, we gave up more underneath.. crossing routes, quick outs to TEs, screens to RBs.. that's on the LBs & the DL. They have to recognize screens (& we are terrible at it) & the LBs have to control the middle of the field. They just have to.
I completely agree with that. That's why I said secondary as a whole instead of specifying a particular position. Someone still needs to make sure Kareem has some longer spikes on his shoes this season. Maybe it'll keep him on his feet a little more often.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to say thanks to those who appreciate my effort.

All I'm saying is when we want to evaluate a player, we neeed to:

1. Look at the whole body of his work.
(This is where I compare Myers with Jackson. I've watched each play in slow motion and in still shots like these for the last 4 years. I've learned a little here and there.)

2. Look at the situation around him.
- One CB can look better with more pressure up front while another looks bad because lack of the same (overall when you look at all the plays each was involved in.)
- One CB, for some reason, just happened to receive better help from the safety while the other did not (again, counting all the plays each was invloved in.)
- One CB might have gotten away with a few more penalties while the other did not.
A little bit of this and lit bit of that add to some bad plays on his own combine to make for an easy scape goat.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

While watching that Chargers/Raiders game (a bad day at the office for Namdi), I saw a few interesting plays that can bring up a few points.

One of them is when Rivers completed a 55-yd pass over the other CB (Stanford Routt; this guy played locally here at UH and runs a 4.25 forty.)

The Raiders were in cover 2 but one of the safeties was itimitating Pollard while the other shifted over to help Namdi.

You can see from the view behind the offense how the QB Rivers "looked" them off from where the ball was going.

No safety help is a biatch!

I will show the side view first.

Old 07-19-2011   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

You can see that originally, one safety stepped down to play the run while the other concentrated on helping Namdi's side.
Old 07-19-2011   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The guy near the Raiders logo in the middle of the field was the FS; he went back to follow the receiver but then turned into the middle of the field.

Old 07-19-2011   #69
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone is having football relapse, with all these screenshots! ha
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

View from behind the offense.
See how the FS come down to play the run.

Old 07-19-2011   #71
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i also like what 76 is doing i look at it and he goes really in depth. But my whole point is that a CB should not need to depend on a safety. If he cant cover a WR man to man than maybe he shouldnt be a CB. The WR is the CBs job 90% of the time the safety is there to help. So we should expect our CBs to be able to cover guys without help. Look at 09 Dunta and Quin played far better with little to no help as well. Pollard was always in the box and Wilson was still Wilson.
EllisUnit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #72
76Texan
Hall of Fame

He now read pass and made his drop to help Routt.
You can see that he was looking at the QB.

Old 07-19-2011   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Now you will see that Rivers "looked off" both safeties, fooling them into thinking he was going to his left.

In the last scrren shot you can see the FS bit on the look by Rivers and turned back to the middle of the field (underneath) instead of continuing going back along with Routt.
Old 07-19-2011   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Old 07-19-2011   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

On a different play, there was a 5-yd holding call (away from the play) that was declined since the Chargers gained 10 on a pass to Sproles.

Namdi committed the penalty because he had allowed the receiver to cut back to the outside.

Then came a play in which Namdi funneled the receiver inside toward the single safety, but then allowed the receiver to cut back to the outside over the top.

(This is why CB had to honor the outside route.)

Fortunately, the pass was off-target (the pocket collapsed and Rivers couldnt step into the throw.)

I'm not going to show those sceen shots, but those plays clearly showed that as CB, you have to honor the corner route (or any type of outside route) as you funnel the receiver to the inside.

If you let the receiver cut back to the outside, the safety won't be able to help.
Old 07-19-2011   #76
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i also like what 76 is doing i look at it and he goes really in depth. But my whole point is that a CB should not need to depend on a safety. If he cant cover a WR man to man than maybe he shouldnt be a CB. The WR is the CBs job 90% of the time the safety is there to help. So we should expect our CBs to be able to cover guys without help. Look at 09 Dunta and Quin played far better with little to no help as well. Pollard was always in the box and Wilson was still Wilson.
Just about any CB in the NFL can cover the average reciever one on one when you take out all factors outside of those two players. But that isnt reality , unless they are on the practice field.
Its when you add in multiple routes and coverage scheme's that give the CB responsibilities outside of that man on man coverage that the waters get muddied. The mistakes one player makes can easily be compounded or cause a chain of mistakes or simple compensation opening a window elsewhere.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #77
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Just about any CB in the NFL can cover the average reciever one on one when you take out all factors outside of those two players. But that isnt reality , unless they are on the practice field.
Its when you add in multiple routes and coverage scheme's that give the CB responsibilities outside of that man on man coverage that the waters get muddied. The mistakes one player makes can easily be compounded or cause a chain of mistakes or simple compensation opening a window elsewhere.
i agree. But if you look at most of the times Jackson got beat. It was on long straight out routes. hell J. Galloway got behind jackson deep easily 2 times both were man, all he had to do was hang with him, and he didnt even come close.
EllisUnit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #78
76Texan
Hall of Fame

On another play, Rivers completed a 34-yd pass to Floyd on a back shoulder fade.

Namdi turned the receiver toward the side line and was one-on-one with Floyd.
He committed a PI and still couldn't stop the receiver from catching the pass.

I've said all along that the back shoulder fade is just a difficult route to defend when the QB and the receiver get on the same page.

I've seen Jackson as the victim of good offensive plays like that one a few times (and they weren't long pass plays as the one Namdi allowed in this game.)
Old 07-19-2011   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i agree. But if you look at most of the times Jackson got beat. It was on long straight out routes. hell J. Galloway got behind jackson deep easily 2 times both were man, all he had to do was hang with him, and he didnt even come close.
Two times?

In man coverage?

Can you show me?
Old 07-19-2011   #80
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I wanted to look at how teams can defend this 2-receiver route succesfully, but I don't think I have time to post all the screen shots.

If somebody has already used photobucket, perhaps they know how I can put a link from here to there so people can go there and watch the slide show.
Just PM me.

I'm uploading the Galloway pass screenshots right this minute and it will be much easier if people can view them there at photobucket.

It will show another of Jackson's plight.
The Texans FS went AWOL (he was not even on the field.)

(P.S. - Never mind, I think I'm about to get it!)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read