Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-27-2011   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Cushing "The Pass Rusher"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Back in January, I was spurred to research Cushing's 2010 performance in comparison to his peers. This was in response to some kid who joined the forums and started spamming it with nonsense.

What I concluded was that Cushing lead the front seven in tackles per game and passes defensed. Despite missing four games and playing two in an unfamiliar position, he had two sacks and had more tackles than Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, and Troy Palomalu.

Thread link

Going by stats, no one can call his 2010 season a disappearing act. The defense wasn't putting anyone in a position to excel.
I like the work you did there. But.....

You seperate Cameron Wake as a 3-4 OLB when talking about his 11 sacks.... Then you point to OLBs in 3-4 defenses & mention Cushing had more tackles than they did. By the nature of those particular 3-4's, those guys don't rack up tackles.

& saying Cushing was the best of our bad defense with the exception of Pollard isn't saying a lot.
Old 06-27-2011   #22
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I like the work you did there. But.....

You seperate Cameron Wake as a 3-4 OLB when talking about his 11 sacks.... Then you point to OLBs in 3-4 defenses & mention Cushing had more tackles than they did. By the nature of those particular 3-4's, those guys don't rack up tackles.

& saying Cushing was the best of our bad defense with the exception of Pollard isn't saying a lot.
You're right that I shouldn't compare Ware or Suggs, but the fact that he was the best of a bad defense does matter if debating progression or regression. His effectiveness is sorely diminished if the QB has so many opportunities, but one can't argue that his physical ability is diminished when he still performed better than his peers.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A case is being made for Cushing the pass rusher
All of this missing 4 games and being moved out of position by our brilliant coaching staff. (yet another reason Gary should've been fired)

Keep them sheep happy
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #24
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

I always thought Cush would be better utilized if he played on the outside in this new system opposite Mario.......
Old 06-28-2011   #25
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Give him a break!

HE WAS PREGNANT!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I always thought Cush would be better utilized if he played on the outside in this new system opposite Mario.......
I don't know if he's really got the speed or explosion to take on Olinemen every play. Cushing seems more of a sideline to sideline player that can get in the backfield and harass you on the occasional basis. To me, I'd rather have Cushing playing on the inside to help with what's going to be a large gaping hole in the A gap if Mitchell/Cody aren't that great being the nose in the 3-4.

If one of Barwin, Mario, or Reed gets hurt, hopefully Cush can go into that role and be decent.
Old 06-28-2011   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Back in January, I was spurred to research Cushing's 2010 performance in comparison to his peers. This was in response to some kid who joined the forums and started spamming it with nonsense.

What I concluded was that Cushing lead the front seven in tackles per game and passes defensed. Despite missing four games and playing two in an unfamiliar position, he had two sacks and had more tackles than Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, and Troy Palomalu.

Thread link

Going by stats, no one can call his 2010 season a disappearing act. The defense wasn't putting anyone in a position to excel.
I agree wholeheartedly with you, stas or no stats.

Also, what I saw was that the previous year, he was the benefactor of some of his teammates' good plays (besides playing well himself).
This last year, he was the one whose good plays benefited his teammates.
Favors returned!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't know if he's really got the speed or explosion to take on Olinemen every play. Cushing seems more of a sideline to sideline player that can get in the backfield and harass you on the occasional basis. To me, I'd rather have Cushing playing on the inside to help with what's going to be a large gaping hole in the A gap if Mitchell/Cody aren't that great being the nose in the 3-4.

If one of Barwin, Mario, or Reed gets hurt, hopefully Cush can go into that role and be decent.
I agree that Cushing is very versatile.
It looks to me like Wade has a lot of option; he can move guys around if he wants to.

As far as where Cushing and Demeco play (assuming that he can come back 100%): who's at MIKE, who's at MO, I tdon't think it can be clear cut.

I would imagine that Cushing will be used in blitzing more, but it's not a given.
There are packages for both the MIKE and MO to blitz anyway.

The MIKE is going to peel back to cover the TE; Demeco has the most experience in this deparment, but Cushing has the length and the physicality to jam, so it's another toss-up.

When the TE goes into motion to the other side, the ILBs normally don't switch around, so that's another blurr right there.

Against a balance 2-TE set, the MIKE and the MO pretty much have the same function. One TE might be more proven as a pass catcher, but the defense always have the option to bring the SS up, there's just no telling how Wade is going to utilize them.

The ILBs were utilizing differently by Wade when he was with different teams, or even with the same team, but in different years, depending on the make-up of the rest of the team.

He's going to adapt to the players and try to put them in the best position.
(That doesn't mean that some didn't complain - like Mike Croel, the DROY at Denver who later on lamented that he wasn't used the right way when he signed with the Giiants. It's a long story, but for short, Croel didn't do any well at all with the 3 other teams after the Broncos.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #29
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree that Cushing is very versatile.
It looks to me like Wade has a lot of option; he can move guys around if he wants to.

As far as where Cushing and Demeco play (assuming that he can come back 100%): who's at MIKE, who's at MO, I tdon't think it can be clear cut.

I would imagine that Cushing will be used in blitzing more, but it's not a given.
There are packages for both the MIKE and MO to blitz anyway.

The MIKE is going to peel back to cover the TE; Demeco has the most experience in this deparment, but Cushing has the length and the physicality to jam, so it's another toss-up.

When the TE goes into motion to the other side, the ILBs normally don't switch around, so that's another blurr right there.

Against a balance 2-TE set, the MIKE and the MO pretty much have the same function. One TE might be more proven as a pass catcher, but the defense always have the option to bring the SS up, there's just no telling how Wade is going to utilize them.

The ILBs were utilizing differently by Wade when he was with different teams, or even with the same team, but in different years, depending on the make-up of the rest of the team.

He's going to adapt to the players and try to put them in the best position.
(That doesn't mean that some didn't complain - like Mike Croel, the DROY at Denver who later on lamented that he wasn't used the right way when he signed with the Giiants. It's a long story, but for short, Croel didn't do any well at all with the 3 other teams after the Broncos.)
The way I've seen the 3-4 broken down with respect to ILB play is usually one of the ILB's is going to be the "run stopper" guy and is basically going to be up around the line of scrimmage on most running downs and distances where as the other ILB is going to play more of (but not necessarily only) of a coverage type role and will try to cover TE's and the RB out of the backfield. Both Demeco and Cushing have proven that they can stop the run with force but both are a liability in coverage so they could easily switch off duties from a down to down basis and I don't think you're losing much if anything.
Old 06-28-2011   #30
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The way I've seen the 3-4 broken down with respect to ILB play is usually one of the ILB's is going to be the "run stopper" guy and is basically going to be up around the line of scrimmage on most running downs and distances where as the other ILB is going to play more of (but not necessarily only) of a coverage type role and will try to cover TE's and the RB out of the backfield. Both Demeco and Cushing have proven that they can stop the run with force but both are a liability in coverage so they could easily switch off duties from a down to down basis and I don't think you're losing much if anything.
I think Cush has proven somewhat effective in coverage. He has 14 passes defensed and 4 interception in his 1st 2 seasons. I would agree that Ryans is more of a liability in coverage, though.
I'm thinking that this season will prove where Cush's talents lie. We will see if we get the 'roid raging monster from '09 or the lost and confused from 4 game suspension and changing positions regular guy from '10.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read