Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Has Confidence

A little more insight into Wade's thinking on the future of the defense.

Phillips has confidence game downBy RICHARD JUSTICE
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
June 16, 2011, 10:35PM

Quote:
From his father came essential lessons of fundamentals and strategy and composure. Yet when Wade Phillips speaks of Bum, he begins with something more basic.

"Just the way he worked with people," he said. "He has a great feel for players and people in general. He's got a charisma about him."

Wade saw it from his earliest days as his dad's water boy at Nederland High School.

"I was around Bear Bryant, and guys like that have something that draws people to them," he said. "They walk into a room, and people listen to what they have to say."

One of the first great thrills of Wade's life was joining his father on A&M's team plane for the 1957 Gator Bowl. He was 10 at the time.

"Later on, when I went to scout at Alabama, coach Bryant's staff would tell me they hated to see me coming," he said. "They said he'd see me and always tell that story of me going to the Gator Bowl when I was a little kid. They had to hear it every time I was there."

What made Bryant great?

"It was the same thing his overall charisma," Wade said. "Daddy said he learned a lot about the psychology of coaching from coach Bryant, how he'd mastered those kinds of things. He said coach Bryant wasn't close to the staff, but he'd take one guy to lunch every once in a while. If you got to go to lunch with coach Bryant, that was a great deal. He had a gift for dealing with people."

Wade has some of that same gift. One of the things that has impressed Texans coach Gary Kubiak in Wade's first few months as defensive coordinator is the confidence he has in his plan and how that confidence rubs off on those around him. He is excited about seeing that confidence passed on to the players.

"It's just experience," Wade said. " You've got to realize that 20 games a year for 35 years is a lot of football. It's almost twice as (many games) as a college coach in the same amount of time."

Nothing the Texans do this offseason is likely to be as significant as the hiring of one of the NFL's best defensive coordinators a man universally respected for his basic decency as a man and his expertise at organizing and executing game plans.

Now if they'll just give him a team to coach. He believes if the NFL's labor dispute is settled in time to give him a full training camp, he will have enough time to prepare the Texans for his 3-4 defense.

Meanwhile, he has watched hundreds of hours of video to assess how the pieces will fit together. He is taking over a defense that was 30th in yards, 32nd in takeaways, 23rd in sacks and 24th in points allowed.

The Texans used their first five picks of this spring's draft on defensive players and would like to add a veteran cornerback in free agency. But their biggest addition has been Phillips, who has led 12 teams to top-10 defensive rankings in his 29 seasons as a defensive coordinator or head coach.

"I just think we've got a chance to be real good here," he said. "That's part of why I came here. It wasn't just, 'Gosh, I'm coming home.' I thought this was the best job out there for a defensive coordinator."

He is high on his nose tackles Shaun Cody ("played very well") and Earl Mitchell ("really good-looking player"). He loves Brian Cushing's energy ("a violent player and someone you want on your team") and thinks Mario Williams ("he can do it") is capable of great things as a pass-rushing linebacker.

Wade believes the Texans will be very good in the front seven but just doesn't know what he has in the secondary, where there are question marks all over the place, beginning with second-year cornerback Kareem Jackson.

"I think technique-wise he needs a lot of work," Phillips said. "I guess he was able to play at Alabama without a lot of technique without worrying about staying low enough or moving his feet, those kinds of things. I think that caught up with him. I think we can coach him. We'll drill him enough that we'll go over and over and over."

Phillips will turn 64 next week, and at a time when some are starting to slow down, he says he is as energized as ever. When the Cowboys fired him at midseason and he found himself watching NFL games from home, he was reminded how much he still loves the sport.

His presence and track record have given a franchise with exactly zero playoff appearances a shot of confidence and the feeling that 2011 might be a breakthrough season.

"We set our goals to be in the top 10 in most categories," he said. "You try to make realistic goals. I understand when you're 31st or 32nd, but I still think you reach for things. I think we've got a chance to do some good things."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #2
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Has Confidence

Well CNNND, I see from some of your other posts that you don't think Phillips will have much success with the Texans D. You may be right. We sure haven't done much for the last 10 years to garner much respect. However, from around the league, and some of the comments on NFL network, that they are slowly srarting to see some light at the end of our tunnel. I can only hope they are right. i was a glass half-full person for 40 something years with the old Oilers, and I will be so again for the Texans.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Wade believes the Texans will be very good in the front seven but just doesn't know what he has in the secondary, where there are question marks all over the place, beginning with second-year cornerback Kareem Jackson.

"I think technique-wise he needs a lot of work," Phillips said. "I guess he was able to play at Alabama without a lot of technique without worrying about staying low enough or moving his feet, those kinds of things. I think that caught up with him. I think we can coach him. We'll drill him enough that we'll go over and over and over."
I'm just remembering statements by Kubiak and Smith coming out of the 2010 Draft and maybe I'm just interpreting it the way I want, but it sounds like Wade doesn't believe Smithiak re: their post-draft comments on Jackson.
Old 06-18-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm just remembering statements by Kubiak and Smith coming out of the 2010 Draft and maybe I'm just interpreting it the way I want, but it sounds like Wade doesn't believe Smithiak re: their post-draft comments on Jackson.
But he was the most NFL-ready cornerback in the 2010 draft! That means he knows how to play NFL style defense or maybe it means he's really good at Madden...

Do you think he falls down when playing Madden?
Old 06-18-2011   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I remember Smithiak EMPHASIZING that Jackson was the most "NFL READY" CB in the draft. Had I thrown MY hat into the draft, they may have had a tougher time deciding who to take.
Old 06-18-2011   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Well CNNND, I see from some of your other posts that you don't think Phillips will have much success with the Texans D. You may be right. We sure haven't done much for the last 10 years to garner much respect. However, from around the league, and some of the comments on NFL network, that they are slowly srarting to see some light at the end of our tunnel. I can only hope they are right. i was a glass half-full person for 40 something years with the old Oilers, and I will be so again for the Texans.
I'm trying to keep some semblance of optimism. But just ask yourself, didn't you feel that same surge of excitement/optimism/hope just about this time going into the 2010 season? So many extra pieces. Talented vet players coming back. New vets. Supposedly talented rookies. And a coaching staff that finally "got it." Then...........time took care of all of that..........

I really hope that this year changes all of that........with Wade leading the charge.
Old 06-18-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
But he was the most NFL-ready cornerback in the 2010 draft! That means he knows how to play NFL style defense or maybe it means he's really good at Madden...

Do you think he falls down when playing Madden?
If you go back & read many of the posts on this mb the thought was the Alabama coach ran an NFL style defense and KJ would be able to translate those skills to NFL. He will need to be re-trained but that can be done. I'd rather see that done with him behind vet corners but we will see.
Old 06-18-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe wade doesn't like saban.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe wade doesn't like saban.
I do not really know that Wade's comments about Jackson's poor technique was directly aimed at Saban's "coaching abilities." But I would not be surprised at all if Wade had some bad feelings towards Saban. After all, as early as January 2010, well before he was ever fired, he had to listen to continual rumors that Saban was a likely candidate to take his position in Dallas.
Old 06-19-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Those were some pretty damning comments on Jackson. I wonder how much longer he'll be on the team.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Those were some pretty damning comments on Jackson. I wonder how much longer he'll be on the team.
I hate to burst the bubble, but I need to remind all that Wade does not have a good track record with CBs.

The most lacking position on his teams throughout the years is the CB.
He has had success with all the other positions overall, CB remains his Achilles' heel.

Wade is in no position to criticize Nick Saban on developing CB.
I've already given a hint that his secondary sucked worst than the Texans' last year!
If you like to be blunt, you will want to question him about that!

Ask him how his secondary players, including Pro-Bowlers CBs Newman and Jenkins regressed so much last year? Did he grill them on their techniques?
Ask him how his team went 1-7 and allowed almost 28 points per game last year (that's one point more than the Texans gave up.)
Ask him about the 3-34 shellacking at the hand of Brett Favre in the play-offs the year before last.
What kind of great tehcniques his secondary guys were playing when they gave up all those passes/TDs to Rice, Berrian, and Shancoe?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I hate to burst the bubble, but I need to remind all that Wade does not have a good track record with CBs.

The most lacking position on his teams throughout the years is the CB.
He has had success with all the other positions overall, CB remains his Achilles' heel.

Wade is in no position to criticize Nick Saban on developing CB.
I've already given a hint that his secondary sucked worst than the Texans' last year!
If you like to be blunt, you will want to question him about that!

Ask him how his secondary players, including Pro-Bowlers CBs Newman and Jenkins regressed so much last year? Did he grill them on their techniques?
Ask him how his team went 1-7 and allowed almost 28 points per game last year (that's one point more than the Texans gave up.)
Ask him about the 3-34 shellacking at the hand of Brett Favre in the play-offs the year before last.
What kind of great tehcniques his secondary guys were playing when they gave up all those passes/TDs to Rice, Berrian, and Shancoe?
Last year's Cowboys CB play was abysmal.

Criticism of starting cornerbacks Terence Newman and Jenkins came as Dallas allowed nine opposing receivers to accumulate 100 or more yards in a single outing last season.

Newman and Jenkins allowed 112 completions of the 181 passes thrown in their direction. Newman, while battling injuries, did manag e five interceptions -- the highest season total of his career.

In 2009, he was selected to the Pro Bowl. But a year later, he allowed quarterbacks to produce a 113 efficiency rating when they targeted him. Jenkins was also assessed a team-high eight defensive penalties. His overall "toughness" has been a point of great criticism.

Both of these cornerbacks were consistently virtually "run over" by opposing RBs. They were pitiful in the run game, something opposing offenses seemed to include game plan.
Old 06-20-2011   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Last year's Cowboys CB play was abysmal.

Criticism of starting cornerbacks Terence Newman and Jenkins came as Dallas allowed nine opposing receivers to accumulate 100 or more yards in a single outing last season.

Newman and Jenkins allowed 112 completions of the 181 passes thrown in their direction. Newman, while battling injuries, did manag e five interceptions -- the highest season total of his career.

In 2009, he was selected to the Pro Bowl. But a year later, he allowed quarterbacks to produce a 113 efficiency rating when they targeted him. Jenkins was also assessed a team-high eight defensive penalties. His overall "toughness" has been a point of great criticism.

Both of these cornerbacks were consistently virtually "run over" by opposing RBs. They were pitiful in the run game, something opposing offenses seemed to include game plan.
Ouch!
That's damning alright!
(Can't rep you, Doc).

Now if Wade wants to talk about technique, one can go to the highlights of the play-offs game between the Cowboys and Vikings in 09 at nfl.com to see what great technique Newman was palying.

He was playing off-man, standing high, and never get into a good stance as the receiver Rice smply flew by him on the outside (allowing the receiver a free out side release is not a great techqniue, Wade!)
And how many years had Newman played in the NFL?
(he completed his 7th year that year.)
Up to that point, he has had 3 years under Wade.
Last year, 2010, was his 8th year in the league.
Old 06-20-2011   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And while you're at it, ask Wade what great technique he taught Jacques Reeves to locate the ball!
Old 06-20-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I remember Smithiak EMPHASIZING that Jackson was the most "NFL READY" CB in the draft. Had I thrown MY hat into the draft, they may have had a tougher time deciding who to take.
It's all about perspective. Ever since the Kubiak has been here, he has wanted CBs to be a big part of the run defense. If you watched Kareem at Alabama, you'd know that was one of his strengths. He was not a shut down corner at the NFL level, though he rarely got thrown to in College.

Smith seems to want guys who can cover. He understands the secondary helps the front 7 by providing time for them to get to the QB. The front 7 helps the secondary by not allowing too much time.

So when Wade says, "he must not have needed technique in college... " tells me he hasn't watched Kareem in college & is going by watching the crap Kareem was taught in the NFL.
Old 06-20-2011   #16
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda funny how some people are ripping Wade for his DBs' play when they made the playoffs in 2009 (in addition to winning the division in 2007). I'm sure many on here would take the chance of horrible DB play if the Texans advanced that far this next year.

From everything I've heard and seen, Wade knows defense. The first year he has been with teams as DC saw major improvements in the defensive performance. I would be more than happy if he had the same results here.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

At Alabama, he was considered not fast or agile, but very good at man press coverage which is what they mostly played. He was never expected by most scouts to be a shutdown corner at the NFL level, but I wonder how much of his poor show was due to the shuffle technique as opposed to the backpedaling that he showed nice results at Alabama.

Thursday, September 10, 2009
For Texans CBs, out with backpedal, in with shuffle

Saban taught the shuffle to be used only in a sparing set of situations.

I came across this article that lays out Sabans Defensive Back approach to technique. Pretty interesting. And it seems that it depends on having some decent safeties.:

Cripes! Get back to fundamentals...
Old 06-23-2011   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
At Alabama, he was considered not fast or agile, but very good at man press coverage which is what they mostly played. He was never expected by most scouts to be a shutdown corner at the NFL level, but I wonder how much of his poor show was due to the shuffle technique as opposed to the backpedaling that he showed nice results at Alabama.

Thursday, September 10, 2009
For Texans CBs, out with backpedal, in with shuffle

Saban taught the shuffle to be used only in a sparing set of situations.

I came across this article that lays out Sabans Defensive Back approach to technique. Pretty interesting. And it seems that it depends on having some decent safeties.:

Cripes! Get back to fundamentals...
Thanks, Doc.
That's one of the websites I frequented.
Lots of hardcore stuff.
I found myself coming back to the same "article" now and again.
It's like when I'm learning the theory, then go off and see if something matches with them in live situation (or related to or similar to) and then come back and check out the theory again.

There are also coaches' sites and links to different playbooks/techniques/drills etc. that I always find myself engrossing in it all.

This particular one is from the LSU days.
All coaches evolve, or came back to some old stuffs from long ago if they think something can apply, what with all the rule changes and the evolution of offenses and defenses.
It's like women fashion, something can go round like a circle; but there will also be something new.

A few things I can be pretty sure that the time Jackson was at Alabama, the Tides hardly used any "pure" zone; nor did they make use of the shuffle.
And that was through the game tape breakdowns that I did after the draft, play by play (but mostly just concentrating on Jackson.)

At any rate, the shuffle technique described there is a whole different animal.
It serves to take away (or make it difficult) the inside route when the WR is way out there near the side line - with the only drawback that it can give up a quick out to the flat. It's a rather small area when the receiver lines up outside the number.
That is if I understand it correctly.

The technique as the Texans applied, encompasses a whole lot more situations, including deeper routes and receivers lining up inside the number.
It can put the CB in some pretty tough situations, as I see it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read