Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2011   #61
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: [LZ] Unsolicited damage control for Rick Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Not saying that he hasn't, but somebody give me one example of Rick Smith actually bringing a good to great player here....that is not attributable to Gary Kubiak building his offense. I don't want to hear about Kube's draft picks and Kube's choosing a UDFA like Foster. I want to hear who Smith himself has brought to the team that made a difference. I know that he brought in some decent FA some odd years back that played decent and filled a major hole, but I don't remember who or even what position they played. Other than that, it doesn't seem to me that Smith does a whole lot other than tick veteran players off and ride his subordinate's (Kubiak) coattail.

Maybe I'm wrong. So who has he brought in (from what we know)?

Cushing? Unproven?

Mario was the old GM's pick.

Ryans was also before Smith.

Connor Barwin? (Who IS unproven.)

Brown? Leach? Kubiak's picks?

What does Smith actually accomplish for this organization?

All I know is that he got his job in the first place because Kubiak was hired as our HC. That much is obvious...
I'll give him Wade Smith who was just meant to come here a fight for a job and ended up started on the offensive line. Antonio Smith has also been a solid free agent pick up too IMO.
Old 06-22-2011   #62
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: [LZ] Unsolicited damage control for Rick Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This organization is almost Oileresque.
The Houston Oilers were run far better than this current franchise is. To even compare the two is laughable. You had the Oilers trying to compete for championships. They failed to have much postseason success but they were always looking at ways of improving the team and did a lot to try and bring a winner here. Just a cursed franchise, but at least they tried and had some success and good times.

The Texans are a running joke around the league and have done nothing to distinguish themselves. The sad thing is that teams that were bad like the Texans a few years back (Rams, Lions, and Bucs) all look to be on the upswing and have assembled some good talent and coaching, while we stay on the right path with these losers in charge right now.

The problem is Smithiak but that is just a symptom of us having Bob McNair as an owner. He just doesn't seem truly committed to putting the best product on the field. He can say that is his goal all he wants, but he hasn't shown enough. Talk is cheap, Bob.

LZ is spot on with his critique of Rick. He even sugarcoated a lot of the criticism in order to inspire some honest dialogue about Rick's performance, rather than make it a flame war. Rick has been an ahole. Rick hasn't drafted well. Rick hasn't recruited FAs well. Rick (and Gary) took 6 years to bring in a decent defensive co-ordinator and probably only agreed after a gun was put to their head. Rick and Gary are both employed for one reason. It's not those 6 wins last year. It's Arian Foster. He made them look really smart last year and that has got to be the only thing that saved their jobs.

I like Brandon Harris and JJ Watt, but to think they are going to come in and make a serious impact is wishful thinking. They could start to factor in later in the season but by then will we be 4-7 again? I am sick of meaningless football in December and especially sick of meaningless wins at the end of the season to help perpetuate this suckitude we are all being forced to live through as Texans fans.

It's on you, Rickiak. If you fail to do anything in FA worth a crap, then no amount of excuses will belay the fact that you are an awful excuse for a GM. Just keep lapdogging up to McNair and sitting with the Bushes in yet ANOTHER big loss. Nothing new. I hope the Texans win but when that pipedream inevitably comes crashing down around me, I want Smithiak gone, once and for all and immediately after Week17. It should have happened this year, but we just have to crappy an owner for something smart and obvious to happen.

ugh,

@DougVanHorne (twitter)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read