Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2011   #81
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dang.... Ahman Green goes off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

The only thing I will say is there seems to be something a little teflon/smarmy about Rick Smith. He's done a terrible job as a GM. But nothing seems to stick to him.

It's another sign of no accountability within the Texans organization. Maybe that's the way Billionaire BoBBy wants it.
I think the fact that Smith hasn't tried to **** himself spectacularly in the draft (Mostly by not trading up much if ever, especially in the first round) that the FO can tell themselves "well at least he's not Charlie" and use that logic to keep him around.

I think if Watt has a year that's as bad as Jackson's rookie year though, then Smith is probably out, even if that was a "Wade" pick.
Old 06-20-2011   #82
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think the fact that Smith hasn't tried to **** himself spectacularly in the draft (Mostly by not trading up much if ever, especially in the first round) that the FO can tell themselves "well at least he's not Charlie" and use that logic to keep him around.

I think if Watt has a year that's as bad as Jackson's rookie year though, then Smith is probably out, even if that was a "Wade" pick.
Expect:

Quote:
But, he didn't have the benefit of a full preseason prep. Next year, he will have a break out year........and, if not next year, definitely the year after.

-------------Rick Smith.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #83
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Rick Smith is just a bad general manager and I'm just not going to drink any kool aid.
Old 06-20-2011   #84
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
How many former Patriots players or Steelers players you see just hammerin' away at Pats or Steelers FO personnel?
Is this a trick question or are you just be rhetorical?

Are you really asking why championship franchises don't have the problems of the sub-.500-history Texans?

Do you think either of those teams would hire Rick Smith as their GM?
Old 06-20-2011   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Matt Schaub was a Kubiak/Smith acquisition. If there is any "crown jewel" in Rick Smith's time here, I think the Schaub trade is it and Foster is a close 2nd. Schaub got hammered a lot here, put on his back and had some rough times before figuring out how to NOT be a Carr version 2.0. He never outed any coaches or the GM for not doing this or not doing that to help him out.
A GMs job is to acquire talent for the team. Matt Schaub, Arian Foster, Wade Smith, all good acquisitions from a talent & production standpoint. Kudos for Rick Smith at identifying & signing these guys.

But as far as bringing in star players, Ahman is the only player Smith has landed so far that had been to a ProBowl before he got to Houston.

In my opinion that makes Ahman Rick's most prolific acquisition. Which says something about Rick's ability to attract talent.
Old 06-20-2011   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Is this a trick question or are you just be rhetorical?

Are you really asking why championship franchises don't have the problems of the sub-.500-history Texans?

Do you think either of those teams would hire Rick Smith as their GM?
I'm saying there's some basic psychology involved, as to why an ex-player (one who did jack-squat) would berate his former team IF the former team was a sucky team.

Conversely, you ain't gonna' see an ex-player (one who did jack squat) of a great team do this same sort of crap out in the media.

Situation 1: When YOU suck, you point to it being the fault of the sucky team you were on. The grumbling ex-player knows it will get some play in the team's local papers, and it's a passive aggressive petty bull**** move, IMO.

Situation 2: When you're on a great team, and YOU suck, people will laugh at you when you try to say the awesome team was the reason you personally stunk up the joint. If you didn't make the cut on a great team, it naturally says that YOU couldn't hack it and therefore few ex-players of great teams are going to get the same play in the minds of fans.

CLARIFICATION TIME....

I don't want anybody here to be under illusions that I think Rick Smith is a world-class GM in terms of recruiting, signing, and retaining top talent. I am saying that in this particular, isolated incident with Ahman Green there exists the same motive as we saw with people like David Carr and Dunta Robinson when they trashed out the Texans on their way out: They all three were not performing at high levels, they have not really done anything spectacular since leaving Houston, and so they are bringing weak sauce by saying their woes were due to the Texans.

Our team sucks SO badly, you ought to be able to stand out as a superstar on this team if you just quit feeling sorry for your predicament and just hustle a little. Instead, those guys cashed the checks (with relative ease) and essentially are trying to say their lack of stardom here was not on themselves.

I think that's a fair & balanced view, personally.
Old 06-20-2011   #87
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

In addition, it's not "on Kubiak" nor is it "on Smith" for our troubles.

It's on McNair. Squarely.He makes the top decisions.

He hired a guy, Kubiak, to turn an awful offense into a competent offense. He did just that. Unfortunately, McNair went "familiar" and grabbed Rick Smith as GM. Too cozy with not enough winning history and veteran experience in order to overcome the "familiarity and coziness" factor, IMO.

Kubiak bungled the Richard Smith hiring, but (a) did KUBIAK really hire Richard Smith or was that forced on him by McNair or (b) was Richard Smith the only option due to McNair's allowance for a d-coord in conjunction with who was available at the time? It seems the second time around, Kubiak hired a guy (Frank Bush) that he had been wanting for a long time but couldn't hire due to Bush being under contract with the Cardinals. This makes me think Richard Smith was easily a Plan B or even Plan C type of hire.

Rick Smith has definitely kept us out of cap hell. We got out of it, due to having to ride out so much dead money (a feature leftover from the Casserly era) and yet I think the thing McNair loves so much about Rick Smith--which is what we all loathe so much about Rick Smith--is that it has now become SOP (standard operating procedure) for the Texans to go Free Agent Lite instead of taking more chances. Of course, this begs the question from some on here: "But if there isn't solid, 100% value in free agency at the time, can you blame an organization (Texans) for NOT pursuing the big names at that time?" I dunno.

All I know is there is as sure of a BIG THING at cornerback (Aso) as I have ever seen in my life as an NFL fan, and I bet we can't get him. We're hamstrung by a losing climate in Houston, a new d-coord who was fired as HC of the Cowboys just a few months prior, no real depth or even starter quality in the entire secondary, and a guy in Aso who probably will be a NY Jets player when it's all said and done. Why? The odds are favorable for them to get to the next level this year. Us? LOL. Yeah, sure.

At the end of the day, folks, we have an inept and slow-learning and slow-to-change owner who is learning the game on the fly. My greatest contempt is for the owner because HE hires these guys and HE chooses to retain them rather than cut bait and find the HC and the D-Coord out there who can take what we have and make it better. IMO, Cowher would be the best bet to do just that. Then again, maybe "Gosh darn. Aw, Shucks" Kubiak gets it done???

Old 06-21-2011   #88
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not really sure how this is a surprise regarding Rick Smith. The guy has sucked. Everyone from ex-players to guys wanting to come here to people in the media have said the guy is a world class prick with attitude that pretty much doesn't know what he is doing.(though Richie hating him isn't a surprise either) That is what he has shown. I've heard this on talk radio for years. From LZ today

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...or-rick-smith/

Quote:
Rick Smith, on the other hand, has people ready to shots at him in high and low places. I think it is safe to say that Smith’s tenure as general manager of the team is not strong enough to warrant consideration in that capacity for any other team at this time and his interpersonal relationships are not what they need to be according conversations I’ve had over the years with former players and coaches, current players and coaches, agents and a couple of personnel people.

Quote:
Let me lay all my cards out on the table for you so you know that what I’m writing today doesn’t have an agenda behind it.

I’ve spoken with Rick Smith on a few occasions over the years and we’ve exchanged emails regarding a couple of football-related issues in the past. When I found out how disappointed Aaron Schobel was with how his dealings with the Texans and Rick Smith went, I contacted Rick to get his side of the story and he answered. Am I buddy-buddy with Rick Smith? No. Do I dislike him? No. Rick Smith will tell you right out front that the organization believes in the “once voice” concept and Kubiak is that public voice. While I think that Smith needs to be more accessible to the media so that the fans can hear directly from him, I really don’t care if Smith is difficult to deal with for the media or not – as long as he does his job well.
Quote:
He also said that he was warned by some former players to keep an eye on Rick Smith as he might not be trust-worthy. The real eye-opener during the interview was that Ahman Green claimed that Rick Smith called him into his office during the 2007 season and asked him directly if he was faking injuries. BAD. MOVE.
Quote:
The next morning on the radio, we were discussing Ahman Green’s interview and comments and former Texans’ defensive back Marcus Coleman called into the show to give his opinion of Rick Smith and how the Texans are run. Coleman has no axe to grand with Smith as he was gone from the Texans before Smith came along, but Marcus has spoken with players who have played under Smith and he’s still tight with a few people inside the organization who have given him info over the years. If you’re thinking of trying to discredit Marcus Coleman with some type of “DUI” blast, save it.

I’ve spoken to Marcus at length over the last two years and he’s simply frustrated at what he sees. Coleman came from the Bill Parcells school of building and coaching a team and he played under then defensive coordinator Bill Belichick. As a Houstonian, Marcus shares the same frustration that we all feel while watching this regime operate, but he has the added burden of understanding how things should and could be done differently.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read