Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-14-2011   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If CB Nnamdis Asomugha signed Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think it is more of a risk factor. Some fans will risk more than others, especially when the result has little impact on us as individuals. Reminds me a bit of politicians who say anything and then when they sit on the throne of power they make different decisions.

I would spend $74 million 5 years of Bob's money for Nnamdi but if ASO gets hurt or has a bad year or two, it is Uncle Bob who looks silly not BADBOY.
Teams don't look stupid for spending high dollars on a guy who is #1 or #2 at his position in the league if he ends up getting hurt. No GM or owner has a crystal ball and can tell if someone is going to get hurt that they sign to a lot of money, so anyone who would call an owner stupid for that is well stupid themselves. And if ASO started playing poorly all of a sudden I don't see how he'd look stupid then either considering that there is nothing in Aso's history to suggest that he'll lose motivation because he gets a big contract or that he is on any downward spiral of decline. He already has been paid top dollar and has still played great and been highly motivated. On paper Aso is one of the safest big investments you could make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Given that the current circumstance is AJ is allowed to talk to other players and the Texans can't this is an off-base comment.
I had a feeling someone would come in here and use that against what I said. The fact is that the Texans management haven't done that in any seasons under this regime hardly. You can use the "well they can't talk to anyone right now" argument all you want, but I can go back on 4 off seasons where Smithiak arrogantly just wanted to build through the draft and hardly pushed hard at all to sign other top players around the league that were available, while AJ is all over the place trying to pull guys over here. What he is doing now is something Smithiak has never been consistent at doing in order to bring in high end players to fill holes. I don't see any reason to believe that will all of a sudden change when this lockout is lifted and Smithiak is able to sign and push hard for whomever they want. Mcnair already stated "we aren't going to do anything crazy" so in his language that meant we'll keep the same status quo and do the same thing we have for years and be very conservative in free agency as opposed to being aggressive.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #62
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Teams don't look stupid for spending high dollars on a guy who is #1 or #2 at his position in the league if he ends up getting hurt. No GM or owner has a crystal ball and can tell if someone is going to get hurt that they sign to a lot of money, so anyone who would call an owner stupid for that is well stupid themselves. And if ASO started playing poorly all of a sudden I don't see how he'd look stupid then either considering that there is nothing in Aso's history to suggest that he'll lose motivation because he gets a big contract or that he is on any downward spiral of decline. He already has been paid top dollar and has still played great and been highly motivated. On paper Aso is one of the safest big investments you could make.
It's usually the #1 or #2 rated player at his position (not the league) we're talking about... rarely does the best actually become available. Nobody would ever blame a team for signing an Andre Johnson or Nnamdi Asomugha type of player. It's the ridiculous contracts that get handed out to the #1 or #2 rated player at their position just because they're "the best that's out there". And that can easily haunt a franchise if that player sucks or gets injured. No crystal ball - whatever... what happened last year or two years ago is old news. Nobody cares/remembers anymore but that player is still counting against the team's salary cap and limiting their options to furthur improve the team.

In regards to Nnamdi... every single owner, GM, head coach, defensive coordinator, and fanbase would LOVE to have him on their team.

Why is it that I'm still cautiously optimistic this may happen? It's like when you buy a lottery ticket and you really REALLY have that feeling that you're actually going to win. I feel like that with Asomugha. For some weird reason my mind is playing this awful trick on my heart.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #63
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Why is it that I'm still cautiously optimistic this may happen? It's like when you buy a lottery ticket and you really REALLY have that feeling that you're actually going to win. I feel like that with Asomugha. For some weird reason my mind is playing this awful trick on my heart.
From my observations in the past you're always very optimistic about this team so that's not a surprise. When you're still yelling out "Team Kubiak" after 5 years of failures, I'd consider you an optimist no matter the circumstance given the history. I don't know why you would be at this point as far as free agency goes though. We haven't done anything in the past under this regime to indicate that there would be a high liklihood that we would pay the kind of money that Aso will demand, nor have we gone out and pushed extremely hard for highly sought after free agents. If the Texans did make a huge push and go all out to sign Aso it would be the first.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #64
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Asomugha, experienced DBs on secondary-weak Texans' radar

Quote:
Wade Phillips hasn't been bashful about letting it be known the Houston Texans need veteran help in their secondary.

The Texans' new defensive coordinator has made the point repeatedly in public forums since his team used three picks in the first five rounds of last April's draft on defensive backs.

Whether Phillips' message has been heard by general manager Rick Smith or the rest of the Texans' hierarchy is a different story.

"From what I know and what we've talked about (internally), I think we'll be active in free agency, especially as far as the secondary (goes)," Phillips told me during a recent interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "But there may be other priorities, maybe even offensive priorities."

The Texans could use help in other areas besides the defensive backfield or any other spot on defense, for that matter. They are looking to make a serious postseason run, and Smith and coach Gary Kubiak no doubt are feeling some heat over the team's inability to finally get over the hump and into the playoffs on their watch. That pressure ultimately could push the team to look in multiple directions for new players when the lockout ends and free agency and trades begin.

Nevertheless, the Texans clearly view improving their defense as a key element to being strong contenders this season. That was why they hired Phillips last January. That was why their first five draft picks, and six of their eight choices, were defenders.

Phillips understands his job is to make the defense significantly better in a hurry. And he knows he doesn't have all of the necessary tools.

"We're really young in the secondary overall, and that's more worrisome than anything else," Phillips said. "I think we have some good talent, although I haven't had the players (at the team facility for offseason workouts) to know exactly what we have. I'm going on what the other coaches say and what we've seen on tape."

Phillips didn't mention any specific names, but the Texans are known to hope to get in on the bidding for biggest prize in free agency: Oakland Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

They might not be able to land him, but Phillips certainly is encouraging them to try and to go after other experienced defensive backs.

Follow Vic Carucci on Twitter @viccarucci.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Drafting 3 more seconday players as he's very concerned about the young secondary?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We're really young in the secondary and that's worrisome.
So I went ahead and drafted 3 more players!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #67
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Signing Aso would be my double rainbow.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #68
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 29308 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Signing Aso would be my double rainbow.
And I'd have a jersey made within days of the signing
Old 06-23-2011   #69
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Well they had to play the draft like free agency wouldn't ever happen, for obvious reasons.
Old 06-23-2011   #70
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

On NFL Live today, they did a sort of "mock draft" of what every team needs to do in Free Agency, and they said the Texans top priority was to sign Asomugha. FWIW...which is probably nothing.
Old 06-24-2011   #71
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And let two experienced safeties go. Granted, they may be shite but at least they had some experience.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011   #72
Raf
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Raf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd freaking flip out. Might not make it to the Super Bowl...but love the approach. Trying to win....something Bob hasn't shown in...lets just say never. My love for the team would be rejuvinated. Sure, signing Joseph would make me happy and disply mild excitement.

But with Namdi....be more like:

Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
How would fans react? I don't know how to create poll but I think many would be "ho hum" and want to see how he does. Others like me would be estatic. I think others would complain at how much he costs & demand a Super Bowl.

Where do you line up?
I can't imagine anyone who claims to be a fan of this game & the Texans being ho-hum about Nmandi & Wade...

Just Wade, I can see it.

Just Nmandi.... maybe.

But both?

Then you throw in the draft, & we've got a Ti-Vecta
Old 06-25-2011   #74
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I can't imagine anyone who claims to be a fan of this game & the Texans being ho-hum about Nmandi & Wade...

Just Wade, I can see it.

Just Nmandi.... maybe.

But both?

TK there are posters who I think would be glad to get Asomugha but would then say, "Well, it doesn't guarantee a SB so McNair has to do more."
Old 06-25-2011   #75
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just Wade, I can see it.

Just Nmandi.... maybe.

But both?

The Texans need to win (10 plus and the playoffs) for me to get excited. Phillips or not. Nmandi or not. Draft or not. Individual moves don't matter much, bottomline results do.
Old 06-25-2011   #76
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The Texans need to win (10 plus and the playoffs) for me to get excited. Phillips or not. Nmandi or not. Draft or not. Individual moves don't matter much, bottomline results do.
Well there you go and thank you for admitting it.
Old 06-26-2011   #77
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well there you go and thank you for admitting it.
Just for clarification:

Do I like the chances of the Texans chances of being good with Wade more than any of the previous DCs? Of course, he has a clear record of being able to put together good ( not great) NFL defenses.

Do I like the chances of the Texans being good with Nnamdi than with any other free agent corner back? Of course, he has been either the best or 2nd best CB in the league by all accounts for the last 5 years or so. Still how much has he helped Oakland's bottonmline as a team?

Do I like the overall draft of the Texans? Yes, but they are rookies and expecting them to be better than people who have at least proven they stay on an NFL roster is always shaky. I am hoping but that's all.

Until the Texans break their mediocore overall behavior, there is not a reason for me to expect more than some teasing at goodness and mediocore results. This dude or that move can't override multiple years of the same darn thing under Smithiak. More hopeful, yes. Actually excited, no.
Old 06-26-2011   #78
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just for clarification:

Do I like the chances of the Texans chances of being good with Wade more than any of the previous DCs? Of course, he has a clear record of being able to put together good ( not great) NFL defenses.

Do I like the chances of the Texans being good with Nnamdi than with any other free agent corner back? Of course, he has been either the best or 2nd best CB in the league by all accounts for the last 5 years or so. Still how much has he helped Oakland's bottonmline as a team?

Do I like the overall draft of the Texans? Yes, but they are rookies and expecting them to be better than people who have at least proven they stay on an NFL roster is always shaky. I am hoping but that's all.

Until the Texans break their mediocore overall behavior, there is not a reason for me to expect more than some teasing at goodness and mediocore results. This dude or that move can't override multiple years of the same darn thing under Smithiak. More hopeful, yes. Actually excited, no.
Exactly. Totally agree.

Sung to the tune of Aretha Franklin's "Respect"....

R-E-S-U-L-T-S...

That is the big ultimate test.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'll be watching & rooting for the Texans next season. It's what I do. However, if it weren't for the Wade Phillips acquisition, & the defense heavy draft, I'd have little reason to believe next year would be different.

So I'm already excited & if we sign Nmandi, I'll be extremely excited.
Old 06-26-2011   #80
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll be watching & rooting for the Texans next season. It's what I do. However, if it weren't for the Wade Phillips acquisition, & the defense heavy draft, I'd have little reason to believe next year would be different.

So I'm already excited & if we sign Nmandi, I'll be extremely excited.
ditto

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read