Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2004   #21
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Huh? Why is it Ragone's fault that AJ dropped 3 of his passes? Does Dave throw a naturally slippery ball? What's up with that?

I think what he was putting imphasis on is that Ragone is left handed. The ball spins counter-clockwise instead of clockwise on the release. Im not trying to give AJ an excuse for dropping passes but when youve practiced and played with a right handed QB most of your NCAA and short NFl carrer its really a comfortability factor. He wasnt comfortable with a southpaw QB.
Old 05-03-2004   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

As I recall the Tampa game last year, there were three passes that some people were howling about AJ dropping the ball. One was a deep route that Ragone put the ball tantalizingly close enough that people could blame AJ, but he had no realistic chance. The second was a crossing route where Ragone placed the ball behind AJ's shoulder while he was running at full speed--I suspect AJ and many top WR's would catch it about 50% of the time (and be credited with a phenominal catch)--that wasn't one of them. The third was a good toss where the DB had Aaron Glenn type timing and hit AJ exactly when he touched the ball--just as when Glenn makes similar plays, I credit the DB more than I fault the WR. All of that said, AJ clearly drops some balls (they all do) but the real question is how is he in comparison to other WR's. Maybe it is a definitional thing of what is good vs. great, but in my book a WR that comes in 6th in the AFC among all WR's (that is two spots out of being in the pro-bowl) is great--especially as a rookie.
Old 05-03-2004   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I think what he was putting imphasis on is that Ragone is left handed. The ball spins counter-clockwise instead of clockwise on the release. Im not trying to give AJ an excuse for dropping passes but when youve practiced and played with a right handed QB most of your NCAA and short NFl carrer its really a comfortability factor. He wasnt comfortable with a southpaw QB.
Counter-clockwise instead of clockwise? That has to have 0.0% effect on catching a football thrown by a pro QB. Don't be fooled by what it looks like on TV, these balls are coming in like rockets. Receivers are watching the point of the ball, not looking at the rotation of the laces. That they can do this while running full speed with a 200 lb man in tow is amazing. But they can and that's what they're paid to do.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand this spin-logic thing either. I have never seen a football SPIN wildly out of someone's hands. The only difference this would make would be if Ragone was throwing the ball end-over-end.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #25
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Again, again, again

I know these are just thoughts that people have, but we must be the best half empty glass fans around. Just think, Carr has been with the Texans for two years, no line and expansion team. Johnson 1 year, caught 66 passes as a rookie! These two will be just fine. No one knows there personal business, if they worked out, slept together, emailed love notes??? Leave these future tag team partners alone. They will surprise the league more than we know!
Old 05-03-2004   #26
sctx109
Rookie

Just as a response to the Berrian posters, we have brought in Carr's former WRs before. Remember Atnaf Harris, he was brought in the first year to help out Carr and to give him someone familiar to throw to. I believe Harris was even one of his top threats when he was at Fresno State. They cut Atnaf in training camp last year, cuz there were other guys with more potential or more ability. Berrian is more talented than Harris, but the point I am making is having a guy that Carr is familiar with will not go far if he does not have the talent to beat out our top WR.
Old 05-03-2004   #27
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Counter-clockwise instead of clockwise? That has to have 0.0% effect on catching a football thrown by a pro QB. Don't be fooled by what it looks like on TV, these balls are coming in like rockets. Receivers are watching the point of the ball, not looking at the rotation of the laces. That they can do this while running full speed with a 200 lb man in tow is amazing. But they can and that's what they're paid to do.
The ball spins the other way when it hits your hand. Instead of moving towards your body when you catch, the ball moves away. Maybe it was just a bad day for AJ, but the ball does different things with a lefty. It is a little overrated, I agree, but it is a reason I didnt like drafting a left handed QB to back up a right handed QB.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #28
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
As for Berrian, keep an eye out for Sloan Thomas and Kendrick Starling, both seem to be a couple of sleeper WRs that have speed and pretty good hands from what I hear.
What out for that Jermaine Lewis from the NFLE, real big WR that also playes good special teams, Returned and Blocked a punt in one game.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #29
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

A.J.'s first year performance was better than expected IMO. We definitely got our pick's worth....sure he dropped some balls, but who doesn't...

I believe Carr did well for his second year with his rookie year not counting for being on his back the entire rookie season...last year was really his first. After this year, Carr will be sought after by the media...I just know it! His arm, WRs, and DD will make that possible.
Old 05-03-2004   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The ball spins the other way when it hits your hand. Instead of moving towards your body when you catch, the ball moves away.
Doesn't that depend on the direction you are running

Wouldn't it be either direction depending on if you are running right-to-left or left-to-right.

Old 05-03-2004   #31
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Doesn't that depend on the direction you are running

Wouldn't it be either direction depending on if you are running right-to-left or left-to-right.
Yeah it does, but when running a certain way you are expecting the ball to bounce a certain way when you go out to catch it. You have to adjust from the ball going one way with a righty to a different way with a lefty. Thats the point i am trying to make.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 05-03-2004   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

fair enough.

Old 05-05-2004   #33
done88
Veteran

Default Yes

Dom Davis is his favorite reciver. At least last year he was.
Old 05-05-2004   #34
wiley2002
Veteran

David had better work with all the receivers this off-season. It is important that he doesn't pass to the same receiver the whole time.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #35
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley2002
David had better work with all the receivers this off-season. It is important that he doesn't pass to the same receiver the whole time.
I think the thing Carr needed to improve on was reading defenses. He was horrible in the 4th quarter last year. He had a QB rating under 20, or something like that.

Old 05-05-2004   #36
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default For Couch Coaches Only

Couch Coaches,

Let the team grow, quit micro anilyzing the players and let the experts do thier job. It sure will make you look a whole lot smarter
Old 05-05-2004   #37
texasduece
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Yeah it does, but when running a certain way you are expecting the ball to bounce a certain way when you go out to catch it. You have to adjust from the ball going one way with a righty to a different way with a lefty. Thats the point i am trying to make.

I played TE all the way through college and catching a ball from a left handed guy was really no different. The only major difference is when your looking back you have to look for the ball to come from a different spot from behind the line. The other thing was the balls flight, Lefties have a natural hook when they throw anything. Finally the ball wasn't a harder ball to catch it was just different to pick up. As far as adjusting for the spin it never made any difference to me because it never bounced to me or away from me and the ball goes every direction from any QB when you don't catch it.
texasduece is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read