Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2011   #121
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Will Use Mario at LB

Man, if you can't be optimistic in May, this is going to be a very, very long season for you.

We have all of the fall to face reality
Old 05-07-2011   #122
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Wade Phillips is going to fix the defense and that's going to solve the Texans problems. That's the current Kool-Aid correct? We're on the right track came right out of our owners mouth and that was before he hired Wade to fix the defense so if we're drinking the juice and the owner is right then we're Super Bowl bound. Maybe not this year of course (got to keep your options open) but eventually and these are the people to get us there.

I mean, That is if you buy this bullshit.

Nobody knows that Phillips is disingenuous at this time. It's only a deep gut feeling on my part. Actually he might not be at all. I'm sure he's buying into the plan as he spins it.

So call it hating for 10 years of suckitude. Still history suggests I'm on to something and that moving Mario Williams to OLB will turn out just like every other slightly hair-brained scheme this franchise has ever cooked up.
I don't think it is drinking KoolAide to realize that as a DC, Phillips has been wildly successful everywhere and there is no reason to think he has forgotten how. Most think this was a Wade Phillips draft and he allegedly got what he wanted. A fair evaluations shows good players in most positions and a good possibility that Kareem Jackson can be turned around. One simple instruction would be to stop his bump & run and play the WR. Yes it is too early to say the D will be much better but there is more arguement that it will than it will not.

The offense should have Gary's sole attention and with the confidence of Foster, the return of OD and the year that Dreesen had, this team could go deep in playoffs and that is without any significant free agents which I hope we get. There is beaucoup reasoning for a very good year. But this is from a guy who predicted 12-4 last season. Sigh.
Old 05-07-2011   #123
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade Phillips is going to fix the defense and that's going to solve the Texans problems. That's the current Kool-Aid correct? We're on the right track came right out of our owners mouth and that was before he hired Wade to fix the defense so if we're drinking the juice and the owner is right then we're Super Bowl bound. Maybe not this year of course (got to keep your options open) but eventually and these are the people to get us there.

I mean, That is if you buy this bullshit.

Nobody knows that Phillips is disingenuous at this time. It's only a deep gut feeling on my part. Actually he might not be at all. I'm sure he's buying into the plan as he spins it.

So call it hating for 10 years of suckitude. Still history suggests I'm on to something and that moving Mario Williams to OLB will turn out just like every other slightly hair-brained scheme this franchise has ever cooked up.
I ain't questioning your gut feeling. The logic is certainly... specious.

I don't know if this team is on the verge of winning with Phillips. I just know he is the best promise of a credible defense since Dom Capers. I don't know if that is going to lead to a winning team this season or next. So I have no projection or gut feeling for where the next season will lead; I just plan to watch it play out. I don't care for Kool Aid or Haterade.

No doubt this team has a long history of having no plan, hare-brained or not, work out for it. Hell, Ryans is coming off an Achilles injury and one of the top OLBs is also coming off a season ending injury. Another major injury to someone else in the front seven and they are forced to rely on the recovery of Ryans. Not good, IMO.

But I think Phillips brings the hope to the defense that Kubiak brought to the offense. Phillips has, in the past, improved defenses in a short span. So I am waiting to see if he can pull it off again. Along the way, I plan to improve my understanding of the game of football.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #124
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So give us your reasoning why it won't work other than "The Texans are doing it so it must fail". Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2011   #125
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
History is on your side. But, the law of averages favor the Texans (blind squirrel eventually finds nut).

Maybe the Texans are the squirrel and Phillips is their nut? Maybe Mario is the squirrel and the OLB position is his nut? Or maybe, just maybe, The Texans fans are the squirrel and a playoff berth is the nut?

History vs. law of averages? Something's got to give. Unless both are trumped by Murphy's Law?

Can someone get me some more koolaid?
Old 05-08-2011   #126
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
History is on your side. But, the law of averages favor the Texans (blind squirrel eventually finds nut).

Maybe the Texans are the squirrel and Phillips is their nut? Maybe Mario is the squirrel and the OLB position is his nut? Or maybe, just maybe, The Texans fans are the squirrel and a playoff berth is the nut?

History vs. law of averages? Something's got to give. Unless both are trumped by Murphy's Law?

Can someone get me some more koolaid?
Stop, there's still time to be completely pessimistic about the season. Training camp hasn't even started and we haven't been deluged in reports of how great we are going to be at every position. I mean Amobi Okoye hasn't even had his "Best training camp as a pro" yet. Peak kool-aid consumption happens about week 2 or so and you can easily post positive stuff then without getting called on it in January where we will ostensibly begin our 2012 offseason.
Old 05-08-2011   #127
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
So give us your reasoning why it won't work other than "The Texans are doing it so it must fail". Thanks in advance.
Nope. I'm standing pat with "The Texans are doing it so it must fail" until they manage to succeed at something.

Wade's had great success wherever he's been. Of course a certain offensive line coach had never failed to run the football before arriving here and suddenly finding that the foundations of Reliant Stadium were laced with Kryptonite. Then to add insult to injury we then roll Foster out the year after he leaves and manage 3 fewer wins while seeing a running game the likes of which we had every reason to expect when he (Gibbs) arrived.

I've seen a Dom Capers coached team unable to defend. I've seen an Alex Gibbs coached offensive line unable to run the football consistently. I've seen a team try their hardest to do everything possible to the highest standard and still end up looking like cheap bastards half the time.

I see no reason to expect Wade Phillips to be able to coach a good defense here until it happens. I'm fresh out of optimism where anything with "Houston Texans" on it is concerned.
Old 05-09-2011   #128
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3783 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

good article about what Phillips plans on doing with mario and the rest of the defense
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...c-ee09ee32910a
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #129
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
good article about what Phillips plans on doing with mario and the rest of the defense
Fifty-two. Hmm. Makes a lot of sense to me. Would think we'd need a whole lot better defensive backs than we have.
Old 05-09-2011   #130
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Good call PN. I'm still worried about pass coverage though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #131
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Good call PN. I'm still worried about pass coverage though.
Hey, what about me?

TPN has always been one of the guys who was willing to hear me out (and vice versa).

The Texans scheme up front was gearing closer toward Wade's, I had talked about it before last season (the 3-4) and even the year before that.
You can't help it when looking at the personnel and seeing Bum Phillips at TC year in and year out.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #132
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
I'm still skeptical of this, but after reading the article, I feel a bit better. I want to see it on the field. Get this labor crap out of the way so players can start learning assignments and playbooks.
Old 05-20-2011   #133
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher chimes in.

Quote:
Cowher thinks Texans' Williams has chance to succeed in 3-4
By Pat Kirwan NFL.com
Senior Analyst
Published: May 20, 2011 at 01:27 p.m. Updated: May 20, 2011 at 02:24 p.m.

One of the biggest pieces of football news in this most unique offseason was the Houston Texans' decision to move Mario Williams from defensive end to linebacker as the team converts to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Wade Phillips.

I recently got a chance to sit down with Bill Cowher, a man who spent his whole career looking for 3-4 pass rushers. So who better to examine building the defense than the former Steelers coach.

Cowher was quick to point out that Phillips is a very good coach and knows what he's doing. Even though Phillips has been running the 3-4 scheme for years, many have questioned the wisdom of moving Williams' 6-foot-6, 290-pound frame from end to linebacker.

However, Phillips has talked about the Texans playing more of a 5-2 defense, where five linemen will be used with two inside linebackers. In that scheme, Phillips has said Williams will often line up as the weakside linebacker, but basically still be an end playing on his feet more.

Cowher cited how effective Bruce Smith, who played under Phillips during the late stages of his time in Buffalo, was as a five-technique defensive end and produced pressure on the quarterback and has more sacks than any other NFL player in history. Cowher's point was that the defensive end in the 3-4 can still be a very dangerous player, and if the outside linebacker next to him is someone versatile like Darryl Talley was for Smith the defense works.

As Cowher pointed out, Williams will be rushing most of the time. So while Smith played end and Williams will now be a linebacker, it comes down to having other defenders who can be that Talley and drop back in coverage and do some of the dirty work as Williams goes full out after the quarterback. As far as the ground game, Williams is going to have to learn to protect his legs and understand on run plays he has a lot of surface area that blockers can get to as compared to coming out of a three-point stance over the tackle.

While Cowher felt Williams can make the transition, I got the feeling he might not have done it himself, saying "I would be very careful about it."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011   #134
badboy
Site Contributor

I think MArio's success will depend on the DEs & Nose tying up the line and how effective the other OLB (Reed or Brawin)will be. There should not be much between Williams and the QB unless the O pulls someone to spy.
Old 05-21-2011   #135
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Cowher chimes in.

Man, it's going to be an easy transition for him next season. The 3-4 will already be in place! (Not sure if him and Wade run the same technique though)
Old 05-21-2011   #136
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like Mario IS NOT going to play the same position that Bruce Smith did for Wade in Buffalo, as Smith was a down lineman playing a 5-tech while Mario will be a LB. Secondly the 5-2 is basically the same as the 3-4 as there's 3 down linememan and 4 LBs in each formation, the only difference being the OLBs play up, right on the los in the 5-2.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
OK but hold on because this comment from another website says the down lineman inside of Mario would not be a 5-tech, but instead a 3-tech. Well that should make Antonio Smith happy. Dang I'm really getting anxious to see exactly what Wade is going to use and who plays where, but with this lockout they are talking months before we get a look:
"Bramel goes on to point out, "It's somewhat of a semantic argument because there will be four players in a two-point stance behind three down defensive linemen, but this front is more like a 4-3 than a 3-4 because of how the three linemen line up. The lineman to the inside of the Elephant rusher is aligned as a 3-technique, something that you won't see in a base 3-4 set. This look is essentially a 4-3 Under with a standup defensive end."
http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/5/...hant#storyjump

Last edited by IDEXAN; 05-21-2011 at 09:45 AM.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read