Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Could we make the playoffs with a top 16 defense?
YES 57 89.06%
NO 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2011   #21
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Could we make the playoffs with a top 16 defense?

Can we make the playoffs with the Number 1 offensive .......

the chargers had it last yeah BUT !!!! they had poor special teams prob worse then ours

Arozina and Greenbay had pretty explosive offensives has well
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #22
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Can we make the playoffs with the Number 1 offensive .......

the chargers had it last yeah BUT !!!! they had poor special teams prob worse then ours

Arozina and Greenbay had pretty explosive offensives has well
Arizona had an explosive offense last year? Only when they were on the toilet. Green Bay won the SB......
Old 05-05-2011   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans were never in that game in Tennessee. And if a couple of plays weren't made in the Washington or Kansas City games, the Texans record could have been even worse. Playing the coulda-woulda-shoulda game is misleading. The Texans didn't look remotely like a playoff team in 2010.

The Texans defense could finish in the top 16, but have a different wheel fall off in 2011. This team doesn't know how to win. And in virtually every game they play, the head coach is over matched. Will that ever change? When it does, I'll vote "yes".
I agree. Even with solid offensive and defensive units, I'm still not believing that Kubiak is a good head coach with regards to making decisions during the heat of the moment in games.

I voted "yes" to the poll only because it says "could". Sure they could make the playoffs. If it was "will" they make the playoffs, I'd vote either unsure or no.
Old 05-05-2011   #24
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Could we make the playoffs with a top 16 defense?

Ok, suprisingly hard to find points scored and points allowed by year (I didn't look that hard).

To me, the ONLY stats that matter are points scored and points allowed. As Madden would say 'the team that scores more points is going to win this one!'

Picking apart every little stat will make your head spin and cause arguments.

I think we were 3rd last year in point scored and 29th in points allowed? I assume if we were 16th in points allowed, then our average point scored would be greater than our average points allowed, meaning we win more games.

I really wish I could find those stats.

For some teams these stats are off because of a few oddball games. But other than Rusty Smith those stats are pretty telling for us, and that's ignoring the lack of offense against Dallas and NYG.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Ok, suprisingly hard to find points scored and points allowed by year (I didn't look that hard).

To me, the ONLY stats that matter are points scored and points allowed. As Madden would say 'the team that scores more points is going to win this one!'

I think we were 3rd last year in point scored and 29th in points allowed? I assume if we were 16th in points allowed, then our average point scored would be greater than our average points allowed, meaning we win more games.

I really wish I could find those stats..
Offense points scored 2010 - 24.4 ppg
16th Defense points allowed 2010 - 21.6 ppg
Old 05-05-2011   #26
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
TY (rep if it'll let me).

Then I assume barring an odd year with lopsided scores that yes, if the offense holds steady and the defense plays average we make the playoffs.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 05-06-2011   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Texans Offense points scored 2009 - 24.2 ppg
Texans Defense (17th) points allowed 2009 - 20.8 ppg

And of course, no playoffs. There's something to be said about finding a way to win or finding a way to lose. We know what the Texans are better at.
Old 05-06-2011   #28
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:

And of course, no playoffs. There's something to be said about finding a way to win or finding a way to lose. We know what the Texans are better at.
That was the year of the half-back pass and inability to get 1 yard. It was a very sad year and touche' on your counterpoint to my point.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 05-06-2011   #29
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Arizona had an explosive offense last year? Only when they were on the toilet. Green Bay won the SB......
i meant when they had Kurt warner
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This.

I think we could make the play-offs...

But regardless, Kubiaks offenses have still not preformed at an elite level. Sure they have put up numbers, but they still have lacked in the area of performing when it matters most. Not sure how anyone can dispute that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #31
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I think think the defense being historically bad has overshadowed how bad special teams were...

Punt Distance 26th
Punt Coverage 10th

Kick Distance 9th
Kick Coverage 26th

Kick Return 27th
Punt Return 29th

Field postion was terrible all year for both sides of the ball. Improving this will help our defense and offense.
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #32
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

I really wish I could find those stats.

For some teams these stats are off because of a few oddball games. But other than Rusty Smith those stats are pretty telling for us, and that's ignoring the lack of offense against Dallas and NYG.
PPG isn't the best stat to measure how good a specific offense or defense is because special teams scores and defensive scores would go towards the points scored per game (Which people would chalk up to the offense being good), as well as the defense getting charged with allowing fumble/pick 6's returned for TD's when we are on offense as well as if our special teams allowed a return TD.

Basically saying an offense or defense is this good because they get X yards a game or X points a game is flawed since we all know that many different things go into a good offense or defense. Think about this, how many short fields did our offense see last year as opposed to 2009? I know our ST unit in 2009 was not the dismal failure it was in 2010 (As long as you forget how terrible Kris Brown was) in terms of field position. It's a lot harder to find a team with a huge positive ratio in the turnover department that didn't go to the playoffs than it is to find a team with a positive ratio for points scored per game : points allowed per game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read