Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the pick
I like the pick 30 47.62%
I dislike the pick 2 3.17%
On the fence 31 49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011   #21
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rasdad Carmichael- What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Thanks for answering that, everything I saw on him was above 4.5 on the 40

Not a bad pick just everything past the 3rd round you have your fingers crossed on them. A bit surprised they went defense again and they are definitely setting up competition for the secondary, I'm just hoping they don't give up on bring in some vets to help school all these kids.

By the way, whenever your 40 time gets cut by over .1 seconds and almost .2, you have to check to see who's holding the timer especially when its the schools pro day.
true but of the little video i've seen on this kid, he looks like he's closer to the 4.39 than the 4.5 he was timed at at the NFL combine...

here's a short read with video i found breaking down his technique..he looks decent.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...technique.html
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #22
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rashad Carmichael- What do you think?

On the fence because I would have liked another position. His highlights look more impressive than BH's. He seems to be quicker and at least in his highlights looked like he had a nose for the ball. He also seems more physical and makes plays. Again could be wrong I have only seen highlights, but BH's highlights were average at best, this guy made plays.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #23
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rasdad Carmichael- What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You're funny!

You have to have a philosophy to change it.
Ummmmm, yep, you gotta point.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I said we should throw the whole draft at secondary players.

Outside of the two d-lineman/LB guys, we're doing just that. And yet the whole draft thus far has been DEFENSE for us...which is juuuust freaking fine with me.

I think Bob McNair ORDERED that we flood the first several rounds with defense picks. Otherwise, the measure of restraint shown by Smithiak (to give Wade each pick four times in a row) is truly amazing.

Out of all these picks we've had thus far, it's been defense every time. Even if McNair didn't mandate it, the only other logical conclusion is that Gary Kubiak knows he's got his toys on offense and it's defense that will sink his future here if he doesn't do something now.

Regardless, I'm at peace. More than I have been in a long time. We're stocking the pantry with what we need, IMO. Can't wait to see how these guys do.
Old 04-30-2011   #25
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems Like he has more consistently run in the 4.3s than the 4.5s. Supposedly ran a 4.26 in 2008.

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/...el_rashad.html
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #26
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Both LZ and Gooselin had him inside the top 90 on theircTop 100 boards. I like the pick just from a value aspect. Add to that he played at V Tech which means he can play special teams.

I like the pick.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #27
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching him for two full seasons I can say he is a good prospect in the 5th round. His junior year was much better than his senior and was evaluated to be a second rounder at the beginning but then dropped because of how well his counter part played this year.

Just a solid corner and could add good depth.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

He is very similar to Kareem Jackson imo. Hopefully our new DB coach can train him and correct KJ's errors. We need to salvage that first round pick if he has not been "David Carr'd".
Old 04-30-2011   #29
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

this is the best draft the texans have had IMO, besides 06
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if some of these CBs are being chosen with the mindset that if they don't work out as a CB, they may be plugged in as a S. Don't know if I would agree with an approach like this, especially when Joseph is looking for twin type of safeties.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #31
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I wonder if some of these CBs are being chosen with the mindset that if they don't work out as a CB, they may be plugged in as a S. Don't know if I would agree with an approach like this, especially when Joseph is looking for twin type of safeties.
Well if your looking for good coverage safeties, converting CB is not the worst idea.
Old 04-30-2011   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is really what I'm thinking.

We're going to have a shift in defensive philosophy, don't be surprised if they want a guy back there with a lot of range and good ball skills and aren't really worried about whether he's a CB or a FS or a SS.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #33
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Run 4 CB back there if it means we are going to get some picks.

I just want interceptions and PBU.

I don't want big plays because of bad coverage.

If that means playing 4 5'9" 180lb CBs I am ok with it.

Let the front 7 stop the run.
Old 05-01-2011   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read where, some feel that in order to be able not to be a run D liability, he will need to put on some significant weight and bulk to transition into the NFL. In fact, I read this about our other secondary pics. It doesn't tend to bother me with most other positions, but with secondary and WRs, I tend to wonder what effect this will have other aspects of their performance.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im wondering if this guy turns out to be the other safety .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #36
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25135 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

That`s what I hope - that they see a safety in him... he seems to be a ball hawk, so he could at least provide good depth there.

We have quite some CBs already - and everyone agrees that we need a veteran. So the vet and either KJax or Allen should start, with the other playing nickel. Brandon Harris can be the primary backup, with either McCain or McManis as the other. That should be enough, with maybe Molden coming back as well...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #37
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've read where, some feel that in order to be able not to be a run D liability, he will need to put on some significant weight and bulk to transition into the NFL. In fact, I read this about our other secondary pics. It doesn't tend to bother me with most other positions, but with secondary and WRs, I tend to wonder what effect this will have other aspects of their performance.
I'm not too worried about how good CB's play the run unless we have ideas of moving them to safety. Carmichael and Harris both seem a tad on the small side to be safeties and if the whole Quinn to FS is to be believed you probably don't want guys that small manning the SS position. Harris, Keo and Carmichael all seem like guys who they feel are going to be versatile ST players as well.
Old 05-01-2011   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I've gotta go with the "let the front 7 stop the run" crowd. If we're worried about CB's stopping the run, we have other issues to address. IMO, they'll do much better tackling with some back to basics coaching. I hope and pray our d coaches take that approach and stress fundamentals like tackling through the ball carrier and wrapping up.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #39
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I've gotta go with the "let the front 7 stop the run" crowd. If we're worried about CB's stopping the run, we have other issues to address. IMO, they'll do much better tackling with some back to basics coaching. I hope and pray our d coaches take that approach and stress fundamentals like tackling through the ball carrier and wrapping up.
I dont think anyone has a concern with tackling from a corner. My concern is if he gets moved to FS or SS. Safeties are the last line of defense, they need to be sure tacklers.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #40
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carmichael isn't the best tackler so I could see him backing up Quinn at FS.

With a future front 7 of:

Watt- *DT* - Mario

Reed - Cushing - Ryans - Barwin

that is a lot of size and I sure hope our run D will be stifling so we can afford to have some smaller ball-hawks in the secondary.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read