Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2011   #201
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
My comments aren't negative in a personal way..I like the guy alot...but I saw him play TCU and saw alot of his stuff and tall before that game. He has alot of good qualities but it isn't a slight to question where he will fit in this sceme and if there were better options. I think everyone does this at this point. I'm reading about Tyron Smith being the next Alex Barron on the Cowboy board.
I was actually replying to the link CnD posted with people whining and crying at the chron.com

He fits our scheme perfectly, and allows us flexibility in how we utilize MW. To generate a pass rush all game you have to have a solid rotation of guys, and now we have that at DE, and we can move MW outside in obvious passing situations. I think MW becomes our version of Ware, where he gets moved outside but rushes 90% of the time.

I'd love to see our nickel D be a 2-4-5 with Watt and Smith inside, MW, Brawin/Anderson outside, Meco and Cush with 5 DBs (hopefully a few new ones)

One thing I can't understand is that fans have blasted us in the past for drafting for need and in some cases reaching for need, and this year we go BPA and people are slamming us for not filling needs at OLB and DB. I did not want Prince. There was a great article several weeks ago looking at how the top CBs performed against top level competition and Prince did not fare well at all. Harris did and he might be there for us in rd 2. I would have been happy with Quinn, but a lot of guys thought he was better suited for a 4-3, similar to Kerrigan. I like Fairley, but I don't think he fits our scheme.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #202
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
FO might be scared of taking Quinn who sat out a entire year and doesnt know how he could pan out possibly be an Okoye type player.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think you also have to consider his medicals. I think Mario becomes our Ware type player. There are also some good pass rushers still out there.

The other thing I love about the Watt pick is he is relatively new to the position. I think he is just scratching the surface of his potential.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #203
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Lets face it Wisconsin is one of the best programs in the nation. We will draft there players because of this.

Get down off the grassy mound conspiracy theorists.
Simmer down, that was typed with tounge firmly in cheek.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #204
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think you also have to consider his medicals. I think Mario becomes our Ware type player. There are also some good pass rushers still out there.

The other thing I love about the Watt pick is he is relatively new to the position. I think he is just scratching the surface of his potential.
I would love Mario to be a Ware type player and with Watt that makes that possible
Old 04-29-2011   #205
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Surprise! Solomon didn't especially like the pick.

Fairley sure Auburn star a wiser pick
Too white. Fairley isn't a 3-4 guy.
Old 04-29-2011   #206
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I dont know if Mario has Ware's first step. I'm curious to find out, and if Wade thinks he can I'll give themt he benefit of the doubt for now. It's something to watch in the OTAs and training camp.
Old 04-29-2011   #207
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Yeah, safe pick, workout warrior.

I wanted a difference maker,

Disruptive force,

Quick first step,

Who blows up plays.

Oh, well. Too bad this is worst linebacker & safety class in years...just our luck.
Would you like a reach on one of the risky 3-4 olb's in the first? Alot of talent but some of the guys have MAJOR red flags. Watt was safe and a lunchpail type football player. We don't draft those often.
Old 04-29-2011   #208
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was actually replying to the link CnD posted with people whining and crying at the chron.com

He fits our scheme perfectly, and allows us flexibility in how we utilize MW. To generate a pass rush all game you have to have a solid rotation of guys, and now we have that at DE, and we can move MW outside in obvious passing situations. I think MW becomes our version of Ware, where he gets moved outside but rushes 90% of the time.

I'd love to see our nickel D be a 2-4-5 with Watt and Smith inside, MW, Brawin/Anderson outside, Meco and Cush with 5 DBs (hopefully a few new ones)

One thing I can't understand is that fans have blasted us in the past for drafting for need and in some cases reaching for need, and this year we go BPA and people are slamming us for not filling needs at OLB and DB. I did not want Prince. There was a great article several weeks ago looking at how the top CBs performed against top level competition and Prince did not fare well at all. Harris did and he might be there for us in rd 2. I would have been happy with Quinn, but a lot of guys thought he was better suited for a 4-3, similar to Kerrigan. I like Fairley, but I don't think he fits our scheme.
I actually think some of the blasting is for thinking Watt wasn't BPA and that guys like Fairley and Quinn were better overall players. The thinking being Watt was the safe pick. Just from what I'm reading. My concern is he going to get caught up in traffic in the 3-4. Some of the highlight stuff I watched and some other pieces shows him not even getting touched on plays...like blocked.. so I'm not sure how he will do with a big body getting to him in the NFL. I like him overall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I dont know if Mario has Ware's first step. I'm curious to find out, and if Wade thinks he can I'll give themt he benefit of the doubt for now. It's something to watch in the OTAs and training camp.
I could be wrong but my initial answer is their first step isn't close. I remember when we got Ware and the guy was known for bending on the edge and his quick step. The guy gets off the line. Mario isn't slow but I find him or of a size/moves guy than a speed guy. He doesn't have the lean.
Old 04-29-2011   #209
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Simmer down, that was typed with tounge firmly in cheek.
Hard to tell the tongue in cheekers from the genuine haters.

There are people out there who talk way too much nonsense and to those people these things need to be said.
Old 04-29-2011   #210
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Watt was safe and a lunchpail type football player. We don't draft those often.
Watt was safe and a lunchpail type football player, who just happens to be a very gifted athlete still learning his position.

Don't undersell the guy.
Old 04-29-2011   #211
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Fairley isn't a fit, even in hybrid 3-4, but Quinn was. Fairley is a great fit in Detroit playing alongside Suh. Two DTs with mean streaks. Suh will push Fairley similar to how the Texans hope Watt's energy will push Mario.

The Rams really lucked out with Quinn dropping to them.
Quinn was risky for us. With our curse, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Quote:
Is Wisconsin becoming the new Colorado State?
God, I hope so. They have good players.
Old 04-29-2011   #212
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Hard to tell the tongue in cheekers from the genuine haters.

There are people out there who talk way too much nonsense and to those people these things need to be said.
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
God, I hope so. They have good players.
Agreed, I'd have no problems with a trend of drafting Wisconsin players.
Old 04-29-2011   #213
mokalus
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anyone grumbling about the pick is grumbling that JJ Watt will be a bust. I love his attitude, work ethic, and underrated athleticism, but this pick just screams SAFE. And again, not that there's anything wrong with going with the safe pick, but I was ecstatic that the Texans had the opportunity of drafting Nick Fairley.

We can talk all we want about Mario's inability to consistently get to the QB, whether it be lack of effort or due to injury, but the push up the middle is something that opposing QBs have never had to deal with against this team. Having someone that is able to consistently collapse the pocket from the inside would help out Mario and Antonio immensely, as the QB then has to either take a few steps back or run into one of the DE's waiting arms.

I guess I just see NT as our biggest area of need, as the Amobi Okoye project is running out of "potential," and I'm not sold on Mitchell being much of a playmaker at the position.
mokalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #214
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Watt was safe and a lunchpail type football player, who just happens to be a very gifted athlete still learning his position.

Don't undersell the guy.
I love the pick. He was 3rd on my list, after Miller and Peterson. This is a 290lb guy they worked out at OLB at the combine. Freak athlete with a blue collar attitude.
Old 04-29-2011   #215
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Are the Texans flying Watt and his family down to Houston today to introduce him like they do every year with thier top pick ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #216
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Are the Texans flying Watt and his family down to Houston today to introduce him like they do every year with thier top pick ?
Yes. He tweeted that he was boarding a flight earlier this morning.
Old 04-29-2011   #217
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93054 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokalus View Post
I don't think anyone grumbling about the pick is grumbling that JJ Watt will be a bust. I love his attitude, work ethic, and underrated athleticism, but this pick just screams SAFE. And again, not that there's anything wrong with going with the safe pick, but I was ecstatic that the Texans had the opportunity of drafting Nick Fairley.

We can talk all we want about Mario's inability to consistently get to the QB, whether it be lack of effort or due to injury, but the push up the middle is something that opposing QBs have never had to deal with against this team. Having someone that is able to consistently collapse the pocket from the inside would help out Mario and Antonio immensely, as the QB then has to either take a few steps back or run into one of the DE's waiting arms.

I guess I just see NT as our biggest area of need, as the Amobi Okoye project is running out of "potential," and I'm not sold on Mitchell being much of a playmaker at the position.
He was the BPA and should be a great player.

The only problem I have is with AS and MW as the DEs, he is the closest thing this defense has to a luxury pick.

Fairley could have been a monster as our jay Ratliff
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #218
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wonder how many of those making negative comments have actually seen him play?
Most people that dislike the pick have said he is a hard worker and a good player. That is not the problem.

The problem lies with the fact that we have 2 very good DE's already and nothing to solve our OLB and secondary issues or even DT.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #219
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokalus View Post

Fairley is not a NT. If you asked him to take on double teams every play and eat space he would instead take to eating double cheeseburgers.

I expect him to succeed because he is in a great situation for him, being next to Suh and Van Denbosch, two guys who will beat the #(*% out of him if he slacks off or complains.
Old 04-29-2011   #220
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Yeah, safe pick, workout warrior.

I wanted a difference maker,

Disruptive force,

Quick first step,

Who blows up plays.

Oh, well. Too bad this is worst linebacker & safety class in years...just our luck.
Have you not seen Watt play? Dude is in the backfield on the majority of the snaps. That is what the Texans got....

Why cannot people see this?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read