Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-07-2011   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default JJ Watt

Has made it official he is entering the 2011 NFL Draft.
Quote:
I will be a Wisconsin Badger for life, but at this time I have made the decision to enter the 2011 NFL Draft.
This is a really easy pick for me to project #11 for the Texans, ideal measureables @ 6-6 292 along with Mario Williams would give the Texans a great looking pair of DE's.
Quote:
Jan. 6, 2011

MADISON, Wis. -- Defensive end J.J. Watt announced Thursday he will forgo his final season of college eligibility and enter the NFL draft. Watt was named the 2010 Lott IMPACT Trophy winner, earned second-team All-America honors and was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection after leading the Badgers and ranking third in the country with 21.0 tackles for loss this season.

Watt announced his decision in an open letter to UW fans.

Open Letter to Badger Fans:

First and foremost, I would like to say that my time at the University of Wisconsin has been unbelievable and it has far surpassed anything that I ever could have imagined. I would also like to thank Coach Bielema and the entire coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to play for my home-state team, as well as helping me to succeed both in the classroom and on the field at the highest level possible.

This has, without a doubt, been one of the most difficult decisions of my life, and it is one that was not reached quickly, or easily. At this time, I have made the decision to enter the 2011 NFL Draft. It has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember to play in the National Football League, and through hard work and dedication, that dream finally has a chance to become a reality.

I will be a Wisconsin Badger for life and am forever grateful for all of the love and support that the fans, administration and community have shown to my family and I during my time in Madison. I could not have asked for better coaches to play for, better teammates to play alongside, or a better fan base to represent throughout my collegiate career.

I just want to say thank you again to everyone who has helped me to reach this point in my life, as I would not be here today if it wasn’t for an unbelievable amount of support from my family, friends, teachers, coaches and teammates. While I am closing an extremely enjoyable chapter of my life, I am also beginning a new chapter and am very much looking forward to the new challenges that lie ahead.

As I move forward with my life, I will continue to live by the morals and values that have helped to get me where I am today. I am very excited about the opportunities that lie ahead for both myself and for the JJ Watt Foundation, as we try to spread the message to kids that if you “Dream Big and Work Hard,” anything is possible.

On Wisconsin!

- JJ Watt
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-fo...010611aaa.html

I've never projected a Texans pick this early, which concerns me, however be certain the kid can play & fit into Wade Phillips defensive overhaul of our Houston Texans.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt

Watt is definitely in the mix for the Texans @ 11. Guy plays hard and comes from a solid program. High motor, high energy. Just might not be BPA when the Texans run up their card.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not be upset if the Texans pick Watt. Good player, solid player, very low bust potential. The more I watch, the more I like.

With all due respect SM, it is very possible Watt is in the mix for BPA when the Texans pick rolls around. He is perfect 3-4 DE size, has room to get better, is already pretty good, etc. Also, depending how the draft goes, the elite talents at positions the Texans really need (NT, DBs) may already be gone. And while I know some like the idea of grabbing another WR, I am not so sure. Blackmon, Jones and Green all give me the prima donna vibe.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't we basically have Williams and Smith penciled in as the starting DE's?
Old 01-07-2011   #5
jay23728
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 jay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performerjay23728 is a Legendary performer

watt may well be the bpa at 11, but i feel with williams, okoye, smith and mitchell 3-4 de is not a high priority. we really need a pass rushing olb. i feel like cushing is better suited inside and barwin may not be 100%.
jay23728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #6
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I would not be upset if the Texans pick Watt. Good player, solid player, very low bust potential. The more I watch, the more I like.

With all due respect SM, it is very possible Watt is in the mix for BPA when the Texans pick rolls around. He is perfect 3-4 DE size, has room to get better, is already pretty good, etc. Also, depending how the draft goes, the elite talents at positions the Texans really need (NT, DBs) may already be gone. And while I know some like the idea of grabbing another WR, I am not so sure. Blackmon, Jones and Green all give me the prima donna vibe.
We have him ranked at 32 on our big board. Taking out offensive players he is the 17th best defender according to us. But I will agree that things will change and who knows 3 months from now. And as I said, he will be in the mix, but probably not BPA.
Old 01-07-2011   #7
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay23728 View Post
watt may well be the bpa at 11, but i feel with williams, okoye, smith and mitchell 3-4 de is not a high priority. we really need a pass rushing olb. i feel like cushing is better suited inside and barwin may not be 100%.
Agreed. We need the 3-4 OLB pass rusher, and the NT. Not very many NT's in this draft, so it could be OLB by default.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2011   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
We have him ranked at 32 on our big board. Taking out offensive players he is the 17th best defender according to us. But I will agree that things will change and who knows 3 months from now. And as I said, he will be in the mix, but probably not BPA.
Draft is fluid though. Fact is Watt is a prototypical 3-4 DE. Strong, quick, smart, hardworking, etc. He has upside, and relatively high floor. I see him flying up the boards come April.

Thats what this is about, talking, and disagreeing. I love the debates with you all on this section. I have been absent a bit more than usual because class is becoming a pain, and I needed a break from the board (with all the negativity), but I am getting back into posting.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on the JJ Watt bandwagon, he impresses me.

Walter's 1/7 mock has us taking Von Miller at #11 and Minnesota taking Watt at #12.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that JJ Watt has declared, draft boards will adjust his stock upwards, I put him in our draft board to float his name out there to increase awareness so my fellow board members are down from the start. I'm thrilled rmartin65 agree's & in fact put him in his january mock as Texans #1 selection. My only worry is if he will still be on the board #11? He is in the mix of picks 6-11, Texans need some luck (take Andrew too) may consider moving up to address DL for Wade Phillips if he is his guy?

Texans are out of range now for either Nick Fariley/Marcell Darius (1-5 range). They also need a NT but will have to wait for the 2nd rd. or hopefully address this position with a proven 3-4 NT like 49ers FA Aubrayo Franklin. If Wade Phillips can come in here & nail these two needs it will help the secondary automatically plus they have rest of the draft/FA to address safety/cb position.

Did I mention he also fits the all important Texans criteria of selecting TE's? Yes he also played some TE, a state champion in Track & Field shot put, lettered in Basketball & Baseball too so the all around athlete applies which is a common trait of great DE's.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 01-07-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2011   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Phillips has said that he thinks he can turn one of our DTs into a good NT.

I think we are better off at DE than NT so I don't see us forcing a pick at NT or DE.

I think you'll see Smithiaklips working hard to fill any 'holes' in FA so they can draft BPA.
Old 01-08-2011   #12
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Phillips has said that he thinks he can turn one of our DTs into a good NT.

I think we are better off at DE than NT so I don't see us forcing a pick at NT or DE.

I think you'll see Smithiaklips working hard to fill any 'holes' in FA so they can draft BPA.
That would be ideal - sign a NT and FS in FA, possibly another CB and then just draft BPA (excluding QB, HB, P/K, TE, FB) if it is a OLB or DE - great. But if it is a WR or T that would be fine as well.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

After last nights bowl game I'm starting to back off Miller and am warming to Watt or Aldon Smith at # 11.

The Texans could use a relentless player on the DL.

No more OkOye,MW,Smith type guys that dont go full bore on every play.

Wat fills this requirement.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
After last nights bowl game I'm starting to back off Miller and am warming to Watt or Aldon Smith at # 11.

The Texans could use a relentless player on the DL.

No more OkOye,MW,Smith type guys that dont go full bore on every play.

Wat fills this requirement.
It's early, I keep telling myself but felt compelled to start a Watt thread since he would be a foundation piece in Wade Phillips Texan adaptation of a 3-4. I think starting with the Cowboys selecting 9th Watt could come off the board? Next up is Washington, once by them we could secure JJ but they too have DL issues plus it's always a possibility another team covets him to be their 3-4 DE & make a serious move up to aquire him? Just don't know yet, will have to wait until the combine & see how he responds to the marketplace

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-28-2011   #15
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

This is a really easy pick for me to project #11 for the Texans, ideal measureables @ 6-6 292 along with Mario Williams would give the Texans a great looking pair of DE's.

I've never projected a Texans pick this early, which concerns me, however be certain the kid can play & fit into Wade Phillips defensive overhaul of our Houston Texans.
BL is amazing.
Old 04-28-2011   #16
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BL is amazing.
give credit where due. props to BL.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #17
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

haha! nice work!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BL is amazing.
he got the Dallas pick also.
Old 04-28-2011   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Watt has great work ethic, non-stop motor, size to hold edge & create pass rushing lanes for LB's. He also has vesatility to bump inside in four man front.

Amobi Okoye's day's may be numbered.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-28-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-fo...010611aaa.html

Somebody hit this man with some rep. I've got to spread it around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read