Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-18-2011   #41
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ's Blog Mock 3.0

Love Aldon's interview: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...-The-interview

More than Prince's, who seemed a little wide-eyed -- and much more than Quinn's where I felt like something was just missing.

It's just interview, I know, but I think you can see a lot in those.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #42
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post

More than Prince's, who seemed a little wide-eyed -- and much more than Quinn's where I felt like something was just missing.

I think interviews are extremely important. I'd be very happy if we picked Smith at 11.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #43
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I'd love to have Watt or Bowers.
Why ? So he can sit on the sidelines while MW and A.Smith get the majority of the snaps ?

DE is the worst pick this team could make in terms of instant impact out of a player. This front office crew is playing for NOW. If they dont produce a playoff team (and maybe one that makes a deep run) they will be gone.

The positions that will have the greatest impact on this teams playoff chances are OLB , NT ,CB and both S spots.

There isnt a safety worthy of an early first rounder.

I dont think the front office would be willing to hang their jobs on the line with a kiddie corps secondary again .... Unless they could get Peterson and I have my doubts that they would take that risk with him either.

That leaves NT and OLB which I think are the most likely positions to be filled with their first rounder - Unless they move out of that #11 spot. Even moving out of #11 , its highly likely that they target a player at one of those two spots.

Moving up - Miller or Fairley.

Moving back - Taylor , Paea , Houston , Ayers.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #44
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Why ? So he can sit on the sidelines while MW and A.Smith get the majority of the snaps ?

DE is the worst pick this team could make in terms of instant impact out of a player. This front office crew is playing for NOW. If they dont produce a playoff team (and maybe one that makes a deep run) they will be gone.

The positions that will have the greatest impact on this teams playoff chances are OLB , NT ,CB and both S spots.

I dont think the front office would be willing to hang their jobs on the line with a kiddie corps secondary again .... Unless they could get Peterson and I have my doubts that they would take that risk with him either.

That leaves NT and OLB which I think are the most likely positions to be filled with their first rounder - Unless they move out of that #11 spot. Even moving out of #11 , its highly likely that they target a player at one of those two spots.

While I agree with you regarding impact, I disagree on the term "starter" that a lot of people use. To me, it's not an either / or situation. Ideally, we take an OLB at 11 because he's the best player available, its' arguably our biggest need, and he would in all certainty start and impact from the first snap to the last.

But the process of elimination you just went through pigeon holes us into a corner. I'm not convinced that Phil Taylor or Stephen Paea would be a bigger impact THIS season and get more snaps than Cameron Jordan or JJ Watt. They'd still rotate with Mitchell and Cody.

Just looking at our needs and wanting a starter and then picking the best available at that spot omits a lot of players that could be better and potentially could make an even bigger impact even if not playing as much.

What if Kubiak still had AJ and Walter as our starting WRs but we drafted Julio Jones? Julio would see a ton of snaps even though he may not be deemed the "starter" his rookie season. Obviously that's a little different than DE but I would love a DL of Jordan-Smith-Mitchell-Mario and then Barwin as the Joker, on passing situations.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #45
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I not saying the Texans should draft a DE but I am going just off of talent and skill level and saying I'd like to have them. The trade of AS and MW might be an option too either one but whoever is drafted at 11 or a trade up should no doubt be opening day starter somewhere on the field.
Old 04-18-2011   #46
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81298 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd love to have Watt or Bowers.
Bowers is a great athlete with tons of potential but I don't see where he would fit in a 34 defense. He is a classic 43 end.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #47
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81298 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have no problem with us taking Cameron Jordan. As sad as it is, he would be one of our 11 best defensive players. Trust me, he would see the field plenty.

In this current age of football, a QB attempting 30-40 passes per game is the norm, not the exception. To defend this, a team must be able to rotate pass rushers to keep them fresh. Not only can Jordan play 5 tech, but he can rush the QB from that position. Which is rare.
Old 04-18-2011   #48
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Bowers is a great athlete with tons of potential but I don't see where he would fit in a 34 defense. He is a classic 43 end.
I think he could work out at least in the 3-4 though but better fit for the 4-3.
Old 04-18-2011   #49
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he could work out at least in the 3-4 though but better fit for the 4-3.
Yea I'm not saying he would automatically fail miserably. I just think he would be like Mario, who doesn't really have a true position in a 34 defense. Those guys are just natural 43 ends.
Old 04-19-2011   #50
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its very important to get to the QB this year. We can draft all the safties and corners we want, but without pressure on the QB it will be the same result.

I think the Texans should take Quinn since he is dropping. Then we can worry about NT or 5 teq in the 2nd.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #51
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The missed fist bump at the end was priceless.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #52
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Based on some intel I've received during the last three weeks, I'm going to take a shot at posting odds on who I think is the most likely Houston Texans at pick No. 11.

Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri - 3:1
Aldon Smith is said to be the target of the Texans as they like his edge pass rushing ability. Smith is unlikely to go in the first 10 picks so he should be at 11 for the Texans if they are truly interested in him.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/texansnfl/
@LanceZierlein Correct RT @walterfootball: Brian Baldinger: I think you can plug this in right now - Aldon Smith will be Wade Phillips' guy with 11th pick
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Dareus @ 1?

And the Texans taking Julio?

We love you here at TT LZ, but you need to get off the meds!
I think you should ask LZ to loan you some of his meds. Both those players are franchise type players and you have to consider ant franchise player unless you already have a starter and Julio is better than Jacoby imo game one this season.
Old 04-28-2011   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ's final mock

1. Carolina -- Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver -- Von Miller, OLB/DE, Texas A&M
3. Buffalo --Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama
4. Cincinnati -- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
5. Arizona -- Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Cleveland -- A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
7. San Francisco -- Julio Jones, WR, Alabama (projecting trade with Washington w/ Wash. taking Gabbert)
8. Tennessee -- Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
9. Dallas -- Tyron Smith, OT, USC
10. Washington -- Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
11. Houston -- J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
12. Minnesota -- Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri
13. Detroit -- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
14. St.Louis -- Corely Liuget, DT, Illinois
15. Miami -- Mike Pouncey, C/G, Florida
16. Jacksonville -- Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
17. New England --Cam Jordan, DE, Cal (will try and trade up to land Jordan)
18. San Diego -- Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
19. NY Giants -- Anthony Castonzo, LT, Boston College
20. Tampa Bay -- Adrian Clayborn, DE/DT, Iowa
21. Kansas City -- Gabe Carimi, RT, Wisconsin
22. Indianapolis -- Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple
23. Philadelphia -- Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
24. New Orleans --Nate Solder, LT, Colorado
25. Seattle -- Jake Locker, QB, Washington
26. Baltimore -- Danny Watkins, LG, Baylor
27. Atlanta -- Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pitt
28. New England -- Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
29. Chicago -- Derek Sherrod, LT, Mississippi State
30. 49'ers**trade** -- Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State (projected trade)
31. Pittsburgh -- Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
32. Green Bay -- Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read