Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-24-2011   #21
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I would not be displeased if these persons were drafted by the Texans.....

I don't really trust Sapp to have done the tape work to make a judgement on that.

FWIW I am starting to feel Marvin Austin out of North Carolina.

He was on OTL and he looked like a great athlete at a good size.

Maybe, just maybe he is there in the 2nd.
Old 04-24-2011   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I would not be displeased if these persons were drafted by the Texans.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I don't really trust Sapp to have done the tape work to make a judgement on that.

FWIW I am starting to feel Marvin Austin out of North Carolina.

He was on OTL and he looked like a great athlete at a good size.

Maybe, just maybe he is there in the 2nd.
whether to agree or not I do think its important to carry some player(s) former or current draft perspective on a position they should have integral insight. DeMarcus wasn't filled out like Aldon either, I think he weighed closer to 250lbs. now they are identical (6040 H 263 W). Then there is the Wade/Ware connection, this early 2005 scout report on him also looked similar, expect for the small school thing a blanket could cover either prospect -
Quote:
An excellent athlete. Team captain. An edge rushing playmaker. 27 1/2 career sacks. His burst off the snap is explosive. Agile. Very Quick. Nose for the ball. Speed to get around the corner with a strong closing burst. Can over-run the play upfield. Hard hitting tackler. Misses some open field tackles. Good leaper. Quick. Strong hands. Long arms. Works hard. Projects to 3-4 rush linebacker. No surprise that he´ll need a lot of work on cover skills. Will be making a transition from DE. Should be a standout OLB. Just don´t expect overnight success. Ware is coming from a small college program. He impressed at the Senior Bowl, and certainly did well at private workouts.
In summary, I think Aldon Smith will be Wade Phillips choice, unless Rick Smith can work some kind of trade up or trade down when Texans go on the clock. Stay Tuned.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #23
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Are you people wanting me to provide you own personal draft coverge? if so I will have to charge a fee

John McClain does a blog every Tuesday http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2011/04/j...chat_at_1.html worth checking out or just asking him a question yourself -
I would buy you a beer or 12 for that!!!!
Old 04-25-2011   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I would buy you a beer or 12 for that!!!!
how about everyday this week @ 11:30

by the way on 610 this morning he basically repeated the same things in regards to Aldon Smith/DeMarcus Ware Warren Sapp comparison.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-25-2011   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A select few of some guys I like for us in our 3-4 defense (no particular order). Notice 3 Arizona defensive players... bolded are my very very short list of favorites.

FB - Stan Havili, USC
WR - Julio Jones, Bama

DL - Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson
NT - Chris Neild, West Virginia
NT - Lolomana Mikaele, Arizona
DE - Cameron Jordan, Cal
DE - J.J. Watt, Wisconsin
DE - Karl Klug, Iowa

OLB - Brooks Reed, Arizona
OLB - Ricky Elmore, Arizona
OLB - Sam Acho, Texas
OLB - Aldon Smith, Missouri
OLB - Justin Houston, Georgia
ILB - Chris Carter, Fresno St.
ILB - Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma

CB - Davon House, New Mexico
CB/FS - Aaron Williams, Texas
CB - Curtis Marsh, Utah St.
CB - Jalil Brown, Colorado
S - Tyler Sash, Iowa
S - Shiloh Keo - Idaho

My ideal draft would be trading down slightly to say #14/15 and picking up a 3rd round pick. 1st rd - get DE Cameron Jordan. Trade our 2nd + newly acquired 3rd to NE for #28 and get OLB Brooks Reed. Then trade our 3rd and 4th to a team like NE (again) towards the end of the 2nd rd to select ILB Chris Carter and also receive a 5th rounder in return. In the 5th round on - I target: OLB Elmore; NT's Mikaele/Neild; DE Klug; S Keo; FB Havili.

I think Jordan, Reed and Carter would be amazing on this team. Essentially we trade our 4th rd pick for a 5th rounder and get these three. Of course, Jordan could be gone by 11 (much less 15), Reed could be gone by 28... we could take Carter with our 2nd or he may last to our 3rd!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
how about everyday this week @ 11:30

by the way on 610 this morning he basically repeated the same things in regards to Aldon Smith/DeMarcus Ware Warren Sapp comparison.
I'll have to give a rain check on that. I'm in Nigeria right now.
Old 04-25-2011   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
well then for you I'll give you a special recap http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2011/04/j...t_chat_at.html (I have a friend who works on a big rig over there & very generous to me when he's home on leave).

basically McClain is sticking with Aldon Smith, OLB. If Peterson is on the board #5 Texans & other teams will attempt to trade up. Not as sure about Von Miller I guess because most think he'll be gone in the first three picks. Trading down also an option but not too far & if the Texans can't get Peterson or pass on Prince they probably look CB in round two. Lots of other interesting stuff too, I found him in rare form, I think he's as pumped for the draft as the fans.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-25-2011   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
well then for you I'll give you a special recap http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2011/04/j...t_chat_at.html (I have a friend who works on a big rig over there & very generous to me when he's home on leave).

basically McClain is sticking with Aldon Smith, OLB. If Peterson is on the board #5 Texans & other teams will attempt to trade up. Not as sure about Von Miller I guess because most think he'll be gone in the first three picks. Trading down also an option but not too far & if the Texans can't get Peterson or pass on Prince they probably look CB in round two. Lots of other interesting stuff too, I found him in rare form, I think he's as pumped for the draft as the fans.
Call me crazy, but I would give up a decent bit to get Miller, even if it's with Buffalo. That's a tuff choice between Peterson and Miller, though.
Old 04-25-2011   #29
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? There was a thread just the other day running down the work ethic of Nigerians in the NFL.

Who coincidental.
Old 04-25-2011   #30
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I would give up a decent bit to get Miller, even if it's with Buffalo. That's a tuff choice between Peterson and Miller, though.
Your crazy.

I think Miller is going to bust. Isn't draft time fun.
Old 04-25-2011   #31
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you people wanting me to provide you own personal draft coverge? if so I will have to charge a fee

John McClain does a blog every Tuesday http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2011/04/j...chat_at_1.html worth checking out or just asking him a question yourself -
Per McClain, he'll be hosting chats every day this week (in anticipation of the draft no doubt).
Old 04-26-2011   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Report: Justin Houston, Christian Ballard failed drug test at Combine

Marijuana ..... so more of a failed IQ test.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you take Okoye back home? Thanks man.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read