Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-17-2011   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FS and SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I agree.

Obviously, the perfect situation would be to get Nnamdi Asomugha. But he's going to have a lot of suitors.

Johnathon Joseph from the Bengals will probably be franchised.

The guys that we possibly have a realistic shot at that would satisfy our requirements are Ike Taylor and Chris Carr. Maybe Josh Wilson or Carlos Rogers. I doubt we'd go after Cromartie and I think he's over-rated... but he'd be a serious upgrade.

After that, it starts to get questionable. Maybe Eric Wright just needs a change of scenery. Maybe Fabian Washington can stay healthy.

So... the pickings are slim and we're going to have to be aggressive and probably over-pay for someone (unless someone REALLY wants to play for Wade). Too bad there won't be a CBA in place before the draft. Our best shot might be bundling up some picks and a couple of players and getting a CB via trade.
The Texans are in a bad spot. If the draft happens before FA. Texans luck as usual. If they have to draft a CB my late 1st early 2nd rd choices would be A.Williams or D.House. If they have to go this route a trade up in the 3rd rd would be what I would do. So a a competent FS could be drafted.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #42
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What do people think of the Free Safeties and Strong Safeties that are (will be) available in Free Agency?

Michael Huff?
Gerald Sensabaugh?

What's everyone's opinion on these two?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #43
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
What do people think of the Free Safeties and Strong Safeties that are (will be) available in Free Agency?

Michael Huff?
Gerald Sensabaugh?

Meh. The Raiders are my other team, Huff is OK. Nothing special. I wouldnt be upset if we got him for a reasonable contract. I'd prefer to go after Weddle myself
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Michael Huff?
Gerald Sensabaugh?

Huff actually had a really good year last year. I think he's finally gotten it and I honestly wouldn't mind getting him.

Sensabaugh would be an upgrade. He knows Wade and Wade knows him. I actually consider this guy a very good possiblity for coming here. And I'd like him here if we can't get anyone better.

Of course, the ultimate guy to get is Weddle. But I would be totally stoked if we got Landry, Manning, or Mikell. All of these guys are better than Sensabaugh.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush wanted a full defensive playbook last year; therefore, our CBs had seen time at safeties.

Whether in cover 3, cover 4 (be it a straight cover 4, or cover 2 on one side of the field and cover 4 on the other side), or a rotation wherein the safety steps up while one of the CBs drops back.

Quin won't be a total stranger to the positon in this regard.
However, I really like the rapport Quin & Jackson were building playing next to one another.
I would hate to see us losing that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Bush wanted a full defensive playbook last year; therefore, our CBs had seen time at safeties.

Whether in cover 3, cover 4 (be it a straight cover 4, or cover 2 on one side of the field and cover 4 on the other side), or a rotation wherein the safety steps up while one of the CBs drops back.

Quin won't be a total stranger to the positon in this regard.
However, I really like the rapport Quin & Jackson were building playing next to one another.
I would hate to see us losing that.
Next to each other? You mean when they were on the same side and Quin was playing nickel or do you mean when they were both playing CB? I mean, I'm interpreting this as you saying you prefer both of them playing CB together but I could be wrong about that.

How would you feel about keeping Quin and KJ as our starting CBs and getting a vet S and drafting a young S? Or getting two vet Ss?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Next to each other? You mean when they were on the same side and Quin was playing nickel or do you mean when they were both playing CB? I mean, I'm interpreting this as you saying you prefer both of them playing CB together but I could be wrong about that.

How would you feel about keeping Quin and KJ as our starting CBs and getting a vet S and drafting a young S? Or getting two vet Ss?
It's like in basketball when you need to switch man; Quin and Jackson were getting comfortable with each other.
They can still work on it, but it looks like the chemistry was there; I would hate to break that up.
We still have Allen for another year, so if they don't move Quin to safety, it would make sense for them to keep doing what they were doing toward the end of the year.
Keep Quin at nickel, but also play him at CB, giving Allen and Jackson a breather from time to time.
All these guys will have one more year in the league and the experience they gained should help them next year.
Draft another CB and work to develop him along with McManis.

Find a veteran FS (this way you only have to zero in on one FA and can afford to pony up the money.)
Draft at least another safety; but since you don't know how the FA situation will work out, might as well draft two safeties.

Personally, I would try to trade down into the 20s to draft the big CB Jimmy Smith; take McDaniels (Clemson) who can play both safety spot in the 2nd; then find another guy to develop in the late round.

I will get to why I don't think the Texans will draft an OLB in the first two rounds.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I will get to why I don't think the Texans will draft an OLB in the first two rounds.
I don't know if the Texans will or will not draft an OLB in the 1st 2 rounds. But I do know that it would be insanely stupid if they didn't.
Old 03-20-2011   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Johnathon Joseph from the Bengals will probably be franchised.
Didn't the Bengals already pass on franchising Joseph?

Quote:
In their latest attempt to prove they are the most inept franchise in the NFL, the Cincinnati Bengals have decided to not use the franchise tag on free-agent-to-be cornerback Johnathan Joseph.

While good franchises around the league – such as the Eagles, Jets and Patriots – have decided to tag their key free agents, the Bengals are content to sit idly by and allow one of the best corners in the league to become an unrestricted free agent.
If the league somehow winds up playing 2011 under the 2010 rules, then Joseph is still a RFA and would cost a 1st & 3rd as compensation. If Joseph becomes an UFA, then he will get slightly less than Nnamdi money.
Old 03-20-2011   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep

But if they traded down to say Balt in the late 20's. They would get an extra 3rd and 5th like they did in the Flacco trade. This would give them the ammunition to trade back up into the bottom of the 2nd and get an OLB and they would get good value in the bottom of the 2nd rd.

I'm going to blog about this on DM and Barrett's blog sometime this week.
Old 03-20-2011   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Didn't the Bengals already pass on franchising Joseph?

If the league somehow winds up playing 2011 under the 2010 rules, then Joseph is still a RFA and would cost a 1st & 3rd as compensation. If Joseph becomes an UFA, then he will get slightly less than Nnamdi money.
The 1st and 3rd is negociable and would come out of the 2012 draft. (I think that's the case.)
Old 03-23-2011   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Do you guys think that Robert Sands is too tall to be an effective safety? He is listed as 6'5" 220-lbs and he can sure as hell knock the crap outta' people, but would he be a liability in pass coverage?
Here is my profile on Sands after combine: "Poor turns in hip swivle drills, tight hips even for a SS where he should end up. He runs on his heels rather than toes & his back pedal is way too high. DO NOT DRAFT!" T4ever, I think he may be drafted by some team after round 4 but he will need a lot of work.
Old 03-23-2011   #53
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

If we wanted a safety like Sands we would be keeping Pollard.

Current roster starting safetys =

ss Nolan
fs Quin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do i get the feeling a transition to the 3-4 defense means no legitimate safety help this year? We'll draft a cornerback, linebackers, heavy defensive lineman, and a couple of damn tightends...

...And then a flyer on a safety late from "where's that university?" After some digging we'll find a draft review of the player who was listed as "priority free agent". His scouting report will read, " Can't cover, can't tackle."

and somewhere...

Matt Stevens will smile.
Old 03-23-2011   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
If we wanted a safety like Sands we would be keeping Pollard.

Current roster starting safetys =

ss Nolan
fs Quin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do i get the feeling a transition to the 3-4 defense means no legitimate safety help this year? We'll draft a cornerback, linebackers, heavy defensive lineman, and a couple of damn tightends...

...And then a flyer on a safety late from "where's that university?" After some digging we'll find a draft review of the player who was listed as "priority free agent". His scouting report will read, " Can't cover, can't tackle."

and somewhere...

Matt Stevens will smile.
Research Chris Prosinski FS/SS 6'1" 210 4.54 with 108 tackles and can be had in 7th (I hope). I think we will have Dominque Barber starting @ SS whether I like it or not.
Old 03-24-2011   #55
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Research Chris Prosinski FS/SS 6'1" 210 4.54 with 108 tackles and can be had in 7th (I hope). I think we will have Dominque Barber starting @ SS whether I like it or not.

BB, if we're counting on Barber to start at SS then we're just screwed. I agree with Powda with Nolan-SS and Quin-FS along with loads of irrelivant players that few have ever heard of. I have little to no confidence in Kubiak to evaluate and draft quality players.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #56
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I have little to no confidence in Kubiak to evaluate and draft quality players.
I have faith in Kubiak for offensive players. Rick Smith and the stooges we've paraded as defensive coordinators have bombed the majority of defensive picks. Wade Phillips will have free range this year - i've eye'd his recent drafts defensively and not been impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy
Research Chris Prosinski
exactly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read