Square 1 again
Join Date: May 2004
Rep Power: 3576
First down breakdown
I've seen the issue of "why the Texans didn't throw on first down" brought up in a few different threads. The numbers don't lie--that's just not true. It's hard to believe because the results of those first-down pass attempts were (with only one exception) totally forgettable, BUT...
Here's a refresher from the game's stats:
(NOTE: Sacks are credited as attempts to pass)
1) The first offensive play from scrimmage was a dump pass to DD. Series was 3-and-out.
2) Next drive's first play was a 3 yard run to the left by DD. Pick ended the drive before any more first downs.
3) Next drive was 1 play: the DD fumble.
4) Then the touchdown drive. 4 total first downs (3 incomplete passes, 1 complete pass to Wells)
5) On the 1-play drive to end the half, DD ran up the middle on the only down.
1) Opening drive had 3 first downs (19yd pass to Bruener, a DD run, and a sack).
2) Next drive was split (a DD run and a sack).
3) Third drive was split (a DD run and an INT)
4) Final drive of 3rd Quarter had 1 first down: a 0-yard DD run.
5) Texans' first drive of 4th Quarter featured 2 first down plays: a DD run and a sack/fumble.
6) 3-and-out drive followed, with an incomplete pass on 1st down.
7) Final drive had a Carr scramble and an incomplete pass on 1st downs. Drive ended by INT on the ensuing 2nd down.
First half first-down plays: 5 passes/3 runs
Second half first-down plays: 7 passes/6 runs*
OVERALL ON 1ST DOWN: 12 passes/9 runs*
* I counted the scramble as a run, which is obviously debatable, but it doesn't affect the run-more-than-pass debate.
Hall of Fame
Join Date: Apr 2004
Rep Power: 35349
No way! The stats can't be right! We ALWAYS run on 1st down! Just ask Brent Jones!
Nice post Exile but please don't confuse the fans with silly facts.
Texans v3.1 - Release date 11/16/2014
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Houston
Rep Power: 300866
Nice post TexanExile .... This is sure going to give the Start Ragone Group more fuel for the fire .
To put it mildly Carr has looked Poor the last three games , The 3 step drop has been a joke and the offense overall is anemic . Now to come up with a solution ? :brickwall
It's easier to keep the match in the box, than trying to stomp out a wildfire.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|