Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2011   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Wade Phillips Assuming Prominent Role in Assembling Texans' Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
2007- I wanted Willis over OkOye, even though Ryans was drafted the yr before. Willis was the BPA at that time. IMHO Turns out Revis should've been the pick.

2008 I was OK with the Brown pick. Because it was a HOF Alex Gibbs pick and something needed to be done about the terrible LT play that had plagued this franchise since its inception. Browns play has been about what I expected. He's young and still has plenty of room for improvement.

2009-Cushing, Didn't have a problem with the Cushing pick. Even though I wanted Matthews.

2010 Jackson, terrible pick, I wanted them to beef the OL even more and draft Iupati. (He was gone) But Bulaga would've been my choice. There wasn't much difference between Jackson,McCourty or Wilson as 1st rds. Or Ghee,Murphy and Verner in rd 3/5. I felt this way at the time.

My top choices for the 2010 draft were R.Matthews,Iupati and Bulaga.
I got it.... you define reach as anything not in accordance with your wishes.

Understood.
Old 03-01-2011   #62
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I define reach as to who I would pick vs who they pick and how the results of the Texans said pick turns out.

I've already called my shots as to who I think will be the best pick vs who might be available at #11. It will be interesting to see who they pick and who I would pick. Then look 3 yrs down the road and see how the 2 players compare.

So far the Texans have done a lousy job overall the last 4 yrs in the war room and this is the root of their little 6-10 problem. I mean last yr Gary didn't even see fit to show up at the combine. Talk about living on your 9-7 laurels. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #63
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I define reach as to who I would pick vs who they pick and how the results of the Texans said pick turns out.
Just curious, why insist on using a different definition than everyone else? Is bad pick or different pick than you would have made really that much harder to type out?
Old 03-01-2011   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
He was rated high, but there were also quite a few reports saying he'd be a "project player" until he matured enough to start and make an impact (mainly due to his age, iirc).

The problem with the Texans picking him is that we needed immediate impact on our line. So no, not a reach like a 3rd rounder getting picked in the first, but perhaps a 'reach' for a team that doesn't have the staff to consistently develop players over time. Obviously not the usual definition of reach as it pertains to the NFL draft, tho'.

I doubt we will see Wade draft players that have a 2-3 year development cycle. He's going to need some players that can start in 2011 and play well.
This describes my thought process better than the term reach or my previous post. The Texans sure do seem to draft alot of underachievers.
Old 03-01-2011   #65
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think he is going to be an excellent rotation DE spelling both Mario and Smith. I know that isn't what you want out of your 1st round picks but it is what he seems best suited for in this transition and sometimes those decisions just have to get made.
We will have to agree to disagree.

OkOye has sucked for 4 yrs and I suspect he will suck for a 5th yr. Phillips didn't even mention him when he was talking about the roster and the DL. To me that speaks volumes.

Fandom is the only reason to think OkOye wont suck in 2011.
Old 03-01-2011   #66
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Just curious, why insist on using a different definition than everyone else? Is bad pick or different pick than you would have made really that much harder to type out?
Point is time will tell if they've made the right pick. I dont care about reach vs no reach. I care about the talent that has/is drafted. So far in 9 yrs that has = epic fail. Look at their record.

Just because Gary and Rick are better drafters than Casserly doesn't mean they are even average.
Old 03-01-2011   #67
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I got it.... you define reach as anything not in accordance with your wishes.

Understood.
Not very well understood.

Point is the Texans have done a very poor job drafting.
Old 03-01-2011   #68
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Steel, I'm inclined to agree that their draft strategy in the 1st round has been flawed.

However, I don't think any of those picks(with the possible exception of Jackson), are examples of reaching. One could argue Brown was a reach, but it has been well-documented that he was coveted by the Chargers (who had the next pick)... Also, Brown is a better tackle than some of the tackles taken before him.

that being said, concentrating on drafting a 1st rounder that is an immediate plug and play is a big mistake, IMO... Either a team is assembled well enough to compete with other elite teams so that a targeted FA in an area of need is justified, or, the team is too far away... in which case, a rookie plugged into a position of need is not going to send the team over the top. Teams that don't draft for need, do much better. If the Texans were determined to draft for certain positions, the appropriate thing to do is to trade down, accumulating the position and extra picks to be spent on best available talent. I think the Texans are finally ready to use free agency to fill the needs. Unfortunatlely, I fear they will end up drafting for need (like they have done) once again in the first round now that the free agency period is likely to be AFTER the draft. We can't catch a freakin' break!
Repped

Agree on all points except the FA thingy. Not gonna happen. Why do you think Gary said they're going to look at CB's in the draft. (Which I agree with BTW) Because all they are going to be signing in FA are the 2nd tier CB's like Josh Wilson for example. Even he would be an upgrade over the CB's that played last yr.

If Rick and Gary were serious about fixing the secondary. They would sign Ike Taylor and draft A.Williams or D.House late in the 1st (By trading up) or in the 2nd. That way we wouldn't be forced to watch the putrid performances of guys like McCain and Molden.

A secondary of Taylor,House, Jackson and Allen at CB

And Quin,McDaniel at S doesn't look so bad. The Texans just have to spend the resources to make it happen and I dont see them going that route. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read