Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2005   #41
trace2001
Rookie

Default Something does have to change

I have been a fan since the beginning but usually just hang back and read everyoneís comments. I could not see the game but listened to it on the net and man was this painful. I was in Carolina when the Panthers started up and what Capers can do with great players is only mediocre and we do not have to many great players any more. Capers has shown to be a good defensive coach and maybe he should stay there. As far as Palmer I donít think he has shown to be good at any level. It is time to make some changes and if any one thinks that a 5 year plan will ever happen they are crazy.
trace2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
No, we replaced the young and improving LT with an equivalent LT who is older, peaked, and declining. Wand wouldn't have saved this game by any means, but at least he may be building for the future. In any event, Riley isn't a "win now" replacement.

I've been saying keep Wand in the line-up, but maybe this game shows that he wasn't the root cause of our offensive woes last year, as many thought.

Pendry has now replaced him twice with inferior players, and Pendry can't improve what talent he has.
I thought Riley played well. Why just bash the LT? most of our pressure was up the middle like last year. I saw Wells and DD miss critical blocks as well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Does the 5 year plan include starting over at year 5? The players obviously have talent and are attempting to execute the coaches plan. Seems like the plan is setting them up for failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #44
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Does the 5 year plan include starting over at year 5? The players obviously have talent and are attempting to execute the coaches plan. Seems like the plan is setting them up for failure.
That just about sums it up.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #45
baytoniantexan
Rookie

I would say a good start would be replacing the o coordinator. If you're able to sit at home and be able to call the plays the same as he does, then what is he there for? I mean they are supposed to know more than we are right? I think the defense did the best they could with the amount of time they were forced to be on the field (offense gaining a little over a hundred yards). It's still early enough to make some small changed in personel. They have speedy receivers, a great runningback crew, and a quarterback if given a little more than average time to throw can be great.
baytoniantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #46
baytoniantexan
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NederlandTexan
That just about sums it up.
I agree!!!!
baytoniantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #47
trace2001
Rookie

Maybe if we start over after 5 with a good coaching staff we could see the same results as Carolina.
trace2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #48
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I thought Riley played well. Why just bash the LT? most of our pressure was up the middle like last year. I saw Wells and DD miss critical blocks as well.
I'm not bashing only the LT, or saying it was all his fault. The whole team seemed mired in something. I thought it was ridiculous last year and this pre-season when people claimed Wand was the whole problem last year. I've certainly taken my fair share of bashing when I claimed Riely wasn't an upgrade. I think he was no better than Wand would have been this game, and maybe worse. His guy chased Carr a lot too.

As far as Riley playing well, I wouldn't go that far. I do think that sometimes he isn't running the same line call as Pitts. I saw that in the last pre-season game on one specific play, and maybe a couple of times today. I don't claim to "grade tape" like some around here and come to simplistic solutions. For instance the first sack (on the 3rd offensive play!) was on a stunt where the end made the tackle. I don't blame Pitts or Riley individually, I think they aren't familiar enough with each other to know what they each were going to do. Wand and Pitts would have made that block.

I've been lambasted frequently on this board when I've given my opinion that Wand was not the problem with the line, and I'm just pointing out that the guy they replaced him with isn't better, and with Wand gone the line still played poorly. So now we're wasting Wand's learning curve of last year, stopping him from making that 2nd to 3rd year improvement that Pitts made, and messing with line cohesion - all for no reason, since Riley isn't better.

You've got to go with the guy who can improve and get play longer if they are the same skill level. C'mon - Riley can't even keep the wieght off!

I think Coach Pendry:

a) makes poor personnel decisions
b) can't make his lineman any better

I've seen at the training camp practices I was lucky enough to go to that he's a good yeller; I've yet to see he's a good coach. I think he, rather than any individual player, is the biggest problem with the O-line.

There are already posts saying that we'll get a stud left tackle next year. How much improvement would that bring, given the coach/players/schemes we saw today?

Last edited by Runner; 09-11-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think Wand was the 'big' problem last year either. I do think Riley is a superior run blocker than Wand is right now though. Pass blocking may be a push, but Riley has a ton of experience and has a more temperamental disposition from what I can see. I don't think Riley is anything but a short term patch at LT though. I have to watch the game again but I donít think I saw much breakdown on the edge. Most of our problems were up the middle and switching when blitzed. Thatís a combination of problems from coaching to poor execution/talent.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #50
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
As far as Riley playing well, I wouldn't go that far. I do think that sometimes he isn't running the same line call as Pitts. I saw that in the last pre-season game on one specific play, and maybe a couple of times today. I don't claim to "grade tape" like some around here and come to simplistic solutions. For instance the first sack (on the 3rd offensive play!) was on a stunt where the end made the tackle. I don't blame Pitts or Riley individually, I think they aren't familiar enough with each other to know what they each were going to do. Wand and Pitts would have made that block.

So now we're wasting Wand's learning curve of last year, stopping him from making that 2nd to 3rd year improvement that Pitts made, and messing with line cohesion - all for no reason, since Riley isn't better.
I've quoted myself, and now Victor Riley:

"There are so many (blitzes) and there is so much communication," said left tackle Victor Riley, the only new starter on the line this season. "When you're in an away stadium, you might miss a call, and if one person misses a call then it messes up the whole protection."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3349457

I'll give Riley credit - at least he'll step up and admit a problem and take responsibility. That's more than I've seen out of others. I'd heard he was decent guy.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read