Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-07-2011   #21
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Big Standing O to Dom Capers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Good points, man, and I agree. There are certainly similarities between the teams, and based upon your analysis, I could almost get excited for the Texans. It's those front office personnel (and lack of faith in Kubiak) that prevent me from truly being excited, though, simply because I do think that they are also part of the fundamental problems with our beloved team.

But solid discussion, man. Props.
I enjoy these discussions as well. Like you mentioned, there's room for us to get excited about it. But how many years in a row have we said that! I havn't lost the faith like I should...err I mean, like most have. It's just every year brings a new wrinkle for me to be excited about or excuses for us to make for the previous season. When will all this finally click??? Slaton was awesome, sucked the next year but our passing game was phenomenal. Foster just played like Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders had a love child (gross) but will that continue? Kris Brown lost us games and we replaced him with Rackers, who did great... but then our defense which came on strong in 09 fell apart!! It's like we can't have all facets of our team playing well together at the same time. So frustrating.

Another thing you hit on in your earlier post, you mentioned some of the differences between our two teams. Player evaluation, scouts, trainers and the likes. I really really hope Wade can make some changes to this front. Maybe the way we scout players, study how we can use them, and make the best decisions. Finding way to make the best players fit... not just taking the best players that fit what we want to do. I think we miss out on a lot of talent that way.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Great points, OMT. While initially a bit skeptical about Wade, I think he could be the thing that really makes a positive impact, both in terms of his defensive acumen and the fire he could light under Kubiak as a head coach.

Kubiak the OC has done a good job. There is always room for improvement, but I can't really be too critical of the offense, all things considered. So hopefully a light comes on in his head for year 6 of Kubiak the HC with Wade right there to take care of one side of the ball and give him some insight and knowledge from decades of being an assistant and head coach for various teams.
Old 02-07-2011   #23
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
After watching Dom in Greenbay the last couple of years, the thing I wondered was why didn't he focus on the Defense. If he wanted Carr to look good, a top five defense would have gone a long way.
Well, I think the problem was with the mindset from the very beginning to build the team around a rookie quarterback who turned out to be better suited as a journeyman backup.

The Texans actually had a pretty damned good defense under Dom. The problem was an offense that made things easy for opposing defenses.

Recall this 2002 victory against the Steelers LINK which hinged on three defensive touchdowns (overcoming an excruciating performance from the offense which had the QB being sacked more (4 times) than completed passed (3).

I'm not absolving Dom from blame as HC, just saying I wish we had him back as DC.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #24
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Dom Capers former head coach of the Houston Texans won a SuperBowl on Sunday and I would like to say Congratulations to Dom. This brings us familar to territory Having hired Wade Phillips who is Extremely similar to Dom Capers being respected through out the league as a DC but never fulfilling his potential as a HC. With the blue print GB has set can the Texans copy it and make a run of thier own to the promise land of the Playoffs and more?

Mike McCarthy HC former OC
Gary Kubiak

Dom Capers DC with HC exp
Wade Phillips

GB 34 Def
Hou 34 Def

Gb top 10 QB
Hou former top 10 QB

GB strong LB core
Hou strong LB core

The differences be between GB AND HOU would be a long list but lets list the similarities
I want to also add my congratulations to Dom, a very nice man wh o has paid his dues. It was his time.

As for srrono claim of a strong LB core, I disagree 100%, our LB core was one of the issues we have had, we got the benefit a year ago of some stimulants, this year not so much help. Cushing was a not a solid LB last season and he is unsuited for a 34 defense.

We only have one guy really suited to be a 34 LB and that is Barwin.

This should be a busy off season for the scouts to gather us some LBs.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
We only have one guy really suited to be a 34 LB and that is Barwin.
How are Ryans and Cushing not suited to be 3-4 LB's?
Old 02-08-2011   #26
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How are Ryans and Cushing not suited to be 3-4 LB's?
Cushing is the perfect 4-3 Sam, he is not an edge rush type that is prototypical 34 OLB. He also has showed zero inside LB ability.

Ryans is a question mark with the injury, the Achilles injury is tough to recover from especially for a guy who plays in space. Ryans should be solid in a 3-4 but not as good as he has been in the 43.

Of course these are just my opinions.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #27
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

No I will not applaud Mr Run run pass , punt. The days of first and fall was very painful as a Texans fans, and apparently the people have forgotten the 30+ blowouts the Texans suffered regularly under Capers. .

So applaud him I think not 2-14 is all I have to say
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #28
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we're comparing the Texans to the Packers:

1. Who's our dominating NT like B.J. Raji?
2. Who's our dominating OLB like Clay Matthews?
3. Who's our dominating CB like Charles Woodson?
4. Who's our really good FS like Nick Collins?
5. Who's our really good DE like Ryan Pickett?
6. Who's our really good #2 CB like Tramon Williams?
Also Matt Schaub ain't near the QB that Aaron Rodgers is. Face it, we don't compare to the Super Bowl Champs.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #29
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Since we're comparing the Texans to the Packers:

1. Who's our dominating NT like B.J. Raji?
2. Who's our dominating OLB like Clay Matthews?
3. Who's our dominating CB like Charles Woodson?
4. Who's our really good FS like Nick Collins?
5. Who's our really good DE like Ryan Pickett?
6. Who's our really good #2 CB like Tramon Williams?
Also Matt Schaub ain't near the QB that Aaron Rodgers is. Face it, we don't compare to the Super Bowl Champs.
Good points, but we have cheerleaders and they don't.
Old 02-08-2011   #30
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

The point of the thread was to find some positive similarities between Greeen Bay and Houston. We all can point out the negatives very easily and that would be a long list. The challange is finding positives.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #31
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
The point of the thread was to find some positive similarities between Greeen Bay and Houston. We all can point out the negatives very easily and that would be a long list. The challange is finding positives.
Well the biggest differentiation is the fact that Kubes runs this organization for the most part as far as players brought in, players drafted, and the decisions on game day compared to McCarthy and Thompson. GB has had good guys in place to build a strong organization and they've got a pretty good HC, and we've got Smithiak who should have never had a HC position or a GM position. We've got two jokes as our GM and our HC that aren't any better than Casserly and Capers. We just have two different guys in place than what we had before that aren't capable of taking an organization anywhere in leadership roles.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #32
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My thoughts exactly. Thanks for saving me the typing.

Houston fans seem to lack comprehension of what championship tradition does for a franchise, and most likely because Houston football teams have never experienced it.
Not gonna take you to task regarding this.....tradition can be a bonus, for sure. On the other hand, Tampa, New England, and the Colts seemed to have overcome some pretty lean periods.

When the "tradition" is such that hardly (if any) current employees or players had anything to do with it....it is arguably irrelevant. The Packers beat the Chiefs in SBI....but I really don't think it would have any bearing on things if they would happen to meet in the SB next year.

"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell" - Harry S. Truman
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansdrummer View Post
Not gonna take you to task regarding this.....tradition can be a bonus, for sure. On the other hand, Tampa, New England, and the Colts seemed to have overcome some pretty lean periods.

When the "tradition" is such that hardly (if any) current employees or players had anything to do with it....it is arguably irrelevant. The Packers beat the Chiefs in SBI....but I really don't think it would have any bearing on things if they would happen to meet in the SB next year.
I'm a fan of the NFL. Probably a bigger fan of pro football than I am of the hometown team. So I've watched and absorbed a lot of NFL history over the years.

And when I hear players consistently and continuously talk about going to a team's training facilities and seeing championship trophies and pictures/awards from past years, and they say how it inspires them to live up to the standards and they want to bring that honor of tradition and glory to their franchise, then it starts to sink in .

So please excuse me if I tend to put more stock into the words of actual pro football players over an anonymous forum member. No offense, but your words contradict everything that I've ever seen and read from players about winning traditions.

Your single examples do not change these facts. There will always be teams that rise above their past, and these teams are setting examples for future generations of players. Saints players now have a championship trophy to inspire them instead of the baggage of a history of losing. But that's why they talked about getting the proverbial "monkey off their backs". The history of losing can hold a team back just as much as a history of winning can inspire them. And that's my point about the Texans.

It's fine if you disagree. But please provide some evidence from actual players. For instance, a quote from a current Steelers or Packers player that says that those multiple Lombardi trophies do nothing for him when he sees them. Good luck finding that quote.
Old 02-09-2011   #34
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Green Bay has a combined 11 world championships.

Texans havent even strongly competed for a division crown.

Done.
Greenbay - Been in the NFL since day 1. Texans were a little late getting in the game in 2002. Hard to compare based on that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read