Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2011   #81
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans: Nnamdi Asomugha is the Missing Link for the Texans Secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think the more accurate perception is that you play both sides of the fence.

You'll say some things that show you're anti-establishment, and then you'll say some things that show you're pro Bob.

I wonder if the angst toward you is due to a perception that you're conveniently setting yourself up to be on the "right side" of whatever comes down the pike?

I don' think there is anything wrong with acknowledging the faults with ownership/management/coaching but still thinking that they're doing a good job.

This is coming from someone who thought they should have all been wiped out this off-season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Houston Texans: Nnamdi Asomugha is the Missing Link for the Texans Secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My understanding is Oakland had nothing to do with him becoming a FA unless you count agreeing to a stupid incentative clause. Look this guy is a probowler and can cut off 1/2 the field. He instantly makes your Dline better & does not require a safety over the top allowing them to cheat to your #2 CB. We can afford him especially with some guys not coming back... Wilson @ FS, Walter @ WR. and other to give McNair some cash to throw.
The secondary helping the DLine?

How novel??
Old 02-05-2011   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don' think there is anything wrong with acknowledging the faults with ownership/management/coaching but still thinking that they're doing a good job.

This is coming from someone who thought they should have all been wiped out this off-season.
It's been a while since I've stated that this franchise is doing a good job. I give credit where credit is due, criticize where I think criticism is due, & I'll argue "logic" that just don't make sense to me.

I don't believe Cowher or Gruden, or Dungy or any of the "proven" winners are sure things.

This is not a comparison to Belichick
Look at Belichick's lack of success in Cleveland contrasted with the success he's had in New England. Is it the man that changed? or is that he "fit" with that organization much better. He wanted player control in Cleveland, didn't get it. He's got it in New England.

Cowher never had it in Pittsburgh, but that's one of the things he says he wants.... How successful will he be picking his own groceries? We don't know.

Gruden did a wonderful job building the Raiders through FA... not so good in Tampa. One of the big reasons for his success in Oakland was the resurrection of Rich Gannon's career. He had a frk'n harem of QBs in Tampa & couldn't find success with any of them. That team degraded with each subsequent year of Gruden.

I don't think Dungy even wants to coach.

Do I think Kubiak's chances of success next year is any better than those guys?

I have no idea. His probability of failure, I think, is just as high. Cutting his nads & bringing in Phillips, I think is a wild-card, a bold move by McNair which says he's looking for success, next year.

I could bch wine & moan that McNair didn't take my advice & cut ties with Kubiak, but I don't work that way. Definitely don't want to see the old man fail, not at all feeling confident about the decision he made. But looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
Old 02-05-2011   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

BoB spending $$$$ that it would take for the Texans to sign ASO=LOL.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #85
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's been a while since I've stated that this franchise is doing a good job. I give credit where credit is due, criticize where I think criticism is due, & I'll argue "logic" that just don't make sense to me.

I don't believe Cowher or Gruden, or Dungy or any of the "proven" winners are sure things.

This is not a comparison to Belichick
Look at Belichick's lack of success in Cleveland contrasted with the success he's had in New England. Is it the man that changed? or is that he "fit" with that organization much better. He wanted player control in Cleveland, didn't get it. He's got it in New England.

Cowher never had it in Pittsburgh, but that's one of the things he says he wants.... How successful will he be picking his own groceries? We don't know.

Gruden did a wonderful job building the Raiders through FA... not so good in Tampa. One of the big reasons for his success in Oakland was the resurrection of Rich Gannon's career. He had a frk'n harem of QBs in Tampa & couldn't find success with any of them. That team degraded with each subsequent year of Gruden.

I don't think Dungy even wants to coach.

Do I think Kubiak's chances of success next year is any better than those guys?

I have no idea. His probability of failure, I think, is just as high. Cutting his nads & bringing in Phillips, I think is a wild-card, a bold move by McNair which says he's looking for success, next year.

I could bch wine & moan that McNair didn't take my advice & cut ties with Kubiak, but I don't work that way. Definitely don't want to see the old man fail, not at all feeling confident about the decision he made. But looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
The whole Kubiak regime should've been blown out. But BoB didn't want to pay for his extention mistake.

And yes, Gruden,Cowher,Billick etc... would've been an upgrade over Kubiak. BoB decided to go another way. I dont think BoB's way is going to work. (Has his way ever worked) But time will tell.

Has there ever been a team that has had a 2nd yr HC, a rookie GM, a rookie DC,a rookie OC and ever been sucessful in the NFL. That's the reason the Texans are where they are today and why the future isn't very bright.

This falls at the feet of one Robert C. McNair for letting such an inexperienced staff to be assembled.
Old 02-05-2011   #86
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

This falls at the feet of one Robert C. McNair for letting such an inexperienced staff to be assembled.

I don't believe McNair is doing a good job, so don't take the following words any differently.

In his defense, he had an experienced staff the first time around. The results weren't very good.
Old 02-05-2011   #87
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And yes, Gruden,Cowher,Billick etc... would've been an upgrade over Kubiak.
Must be why all three are currently employed as coaches.

Quote:
Has there ever been a team that has had a 2nd yr HC, a rookie GM, a rookie DC,a rookie OC and ever been sucessful in the NFL. That's the reason the Texans are where they are today and why the future isn't very bright.

What does this refer to? When Kubiak was a 2nd year HC yes he had a rookie GM. His OC was a long time coach including having been an NFL head coach. The DC was coming off of having been DC for the Dolphins. Hate is cool and all but at least build it on correct facts.
Old 02-05-2011   #88
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Must be why all three are currently employed as coaches.

What does this refer to? When Kubiak was a 2nd year HC yes he had a rookie GM. His OC was a long time coach including having been an NFL head coach. The DC was coming off of having been DC for the Dolphins. Hate is cool and all but at least build it on correct facts.
Kubiak =HC/OC 2yrs
Sherman= OL coach with Asisst HC, many yrs exp.

Calhoun= OC 1 yr
Shanahan= OC 1 yr
Dennison = 2yrs OC Denver, 1 yr OC Hou

Defense
Richard Smith = 1 yr DC Miami, 2 yrs Hou
Frank Bush= 1 yr DC

GM Rick Smith 1 yr

There were some inexperienced people high up in the Texans org. that failed horribly at their jobs. Due to their inexperience. (IMHO) To say anything otherwise would be disingenious.
Old 02-05-2011   #89
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak =HC/OC 2yrs
Sherman= OL coach with Asisst HC, many yrs exp.

Calhoun= OC 1 yr
Shanahan= OC 1 yr
Dennison = 2yrs OC Denver, 1 yr OC Hou

Defense
Richard Smith = 1 yr DC Miami, 2 yrs Hou
Frank Bush= 1 yr DC

GM Rick Smith 1 yr

There were some inexperienced people high up in the Texans org. that failed horribly at their jobs. Due to their inexperience. (IMHO) To say anything otherwise would be disingenious.
No to say something otherwise would be realistic. The crap didn't work out. Doesn't mean it was all wrong as some sort of general rule. 2001 the Patriots won the SB with a guy with less than Sherman's experience as OC, a 2nd year head coach on a rehabilitation tour from being considered a joke, a first year GM (actually they wouldn't even call him that) and a 2nd year DC. It worked for them. It didn't for the Texans. Don't learn the wrong lesson (or assert it).

Mark Twain - “The cat, having sat upon a hot stove lid, will not sit upon a hot stove lid again. But he won't sit upon a cold stove lid, either.”
Old 02-05-2011   #90
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No to say something otherwise would be realistic. The crap didn't work out. Doesn't mean it was all wrong as some sort of general rule. 2001 the Patriots won the SB with a guy with less than Sherman's experience as OC, a 2nd year head coach on a rehabilitation tour from being considered a joke, a first year GM (actually they wouldn't even call him that) and a 2nd year DC. It worked for them. It didn't for the Texans. Don't learn the wrong lesson (or assert it).

Mark Twain - “The cat, having sat upon a hot stove lid, will not sit upon a hot stove lid again. But he won't sit upon a cold stove lid, either.”
Fair enough

Do you honestly think Kraft would've kept BB around for a 6th yr. If he had Gary's track record? I dont think that's in Krafts' history.

You might think otherwise and I would seriously like to hear your rationale in this argument counselor.
Old 02-06-2011   #91
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Fair enough

Do you honestly think Kraft would've kept BB around for a 6th yr. If he had Gary's track record? I dont think that's in Krafts' history.

You might think otherwise and I would seriously like to hear your rationale in this argument counselor.
Sounds to me like a bunch of tired excuses in this thread. Same ole same ole
Old 02-06-2011   #92
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Sounds to me like a bunch of tired excuses in this thread. Same ole same ole
Sounds to me like a bunch of tired bitching in this thread. Same ole same ole
Old 02-06-2011   #93
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Fair enough

Neither of us has any idea what Kraft would have done. I just don't subscribe to the anything the Texans have done is definitionaly wrong theory. Sometimes crap doesn't work out but the gamble you made wasn't a bad one.
Old 02-06-2011   #94
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think Cowher and Gruden are just waiting for a team that is built for the playoffs to open up.
Old 02-06-2011   #95
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hate is cool and all but at least build it on correct facts.
The facts are there. 5 years and Kubiak & Smith have failed to build a playoff contender. Some of these guys are attempting to do a forensic analysis as to why. Can you point to other examples as to why their evidence is lacking? Sure. But you can't argue that Kubiak & Smith have not failed.

That doesn't mean that the Texans will fail in 2011. I (and others) would suggest that they will, based upon previous outcomes. Others will predict that the changes made this year will turn the franchise around. Both sides can point to evidence in their favor. Both sides can point to evidence that contradicts the opposing view. There are no sets of facts more correct than another.

I would think that if Kubiak and Smith had the ability to build a contender, we would have seen it by now. They saw what a championship team looks like while in Denver. But Michelangelo had apprentices. Doesn't mean they would be able to create another Sistine chapel on their own.

A major event such as signing Asomugha could change my thinking. It would be a bold and unconventional move by this organization. It could create a butterfly effect where the young corners improve, the pass rush improves, everything improves. But it's an incredibly unlikely possibility. It's like a hail mary heave where the opposition bats the ball into your hands for the winning score. It happens. But it happens for the other guys.
Old 02-06-2011   #96
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Cant Rep you

Great post
Old 02-06-2011   #97
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Neither of us has any idea what Kraft would have done. I just don't subscribe to the anything the Texans have done is definitionaly wrong theory. Sometimes crap doesn't work out but the gamble you made wasn't a bad one.
Didn't Kraft fire Carroll after 3yrs of basically 8-8 mediocrity?
Old 02-06-2011   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The facts are there. 5 years and Kubiak & Smith have failed to build a playoff contender. Some of these guys are attempting to do a forensic analysis as to why. Can you point to other examples as to why their evidence is lacking? Sure. But you can't argue that Kubiak & Smith have not failed.

That doesn't mean that the Texans will fail in 2011. I (and others) would suggest that they will, based upon previous outcomes. Others will predict that the changes made this year will turn the franchise around. Both sides can point to evidence in their favor. Both sides can point to evidence that contradicts the opposing view. There are no sets of facts more correct than another.

I would think that if Kubiak and Smith had the ability to build a contender, we would have seen it by now. They saw what a championship team looks like while in Denver. But Michelangelo had apprentices. Doesn't mean they would be able to create another Sistine chapel on their own.

A major event such as signing Asomugha could change my thinking. It would be a bold and unconventional move by this organization. It could create a butterfly effect where the young corners improve, the pass rush improves, everything improves. But it's an incredibly unlikely possibility. It's like a hail mary heave where the opposition bats the ball into your hands for the winning score. It happens. But it happens for the other guys.
That's all I've ever said.
Old 02-07-2011   #99
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I have never argued they have not failed. My point was much of what has been going on has nothing to do with forensic analysis and is simply the assertion - Houston Texans did it = must be bad. Well that and a lot of assumptions that all the information we don't know is all as bad as can be imagined. I wouldn't mind some legitimate forensic analysis.

Quote:
Didn't Kraft fire Carroll after 3yrs of basically 8-8 mediocrity?
Kind of. More like Carroll took over a Parcells playoff team (went to the SB) and then actually went to the playoffs the first two years but each year Carroll was coach the record was getting worse. They also let Curtis Martin go to the Jets in that time despite being in the pro-bowl 2 of his 3 years in NE.
Old 02-07-2011   #100
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Just going to get my reply to the whole thread here is the post I wrote a few weeks ago. It speaks to free agent moves and football people.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Clearly stated thought fail.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read