Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2011   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips conference call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think Phillips is going to make such a difference. I love the way he discusses the personnel and scheme. He says every player is different and they coach the individual player to maximize his potential. I think that's what went wrong the last 5 years. I feel like they've wanted a 4-3 run a certain way and found the best players they thought could perform how they wanted them to. Phillips is going to adapt the way he attacks an offense depending on the personnel. This is awesome.

Whether we really desperately "need" him or not.... I hope Phillips is constantly in Kubiak/Smith/McNair's ears. When they're awake and when they're asleep. Just whispering, "Nnaaamdi. Asooomuuughaaa. Nnaaaamdi. Asooomuuuughaaa."
Agreed! I don't recall our previous DC's ever saying something like this. Putting the players in the best position to succeed...hmmm, what a novel idea. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the ole "we're going to be aggressive", "we're going to shoot the gaps" or "we're going to read then react" bullshit.
Old 02-02-2011   #22
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I like how he wanted Mario matched up with their worst OL. Yeah, that is about the only time Mario does anything that is for sure. Any time he goes up against a legit LT he gets owned. I still remember a near-retirement Ogden just making Mario invisible against the Ravens a few years back. Mario has never dominated anyone who was worth a crap. he feasts off of TEs, RBs and third rate personnel.

I say put his ass on the bench if he can't produce against good talent. Other guys come in without the salary cap hit and can make plays against the best. Mario just kinda sucks sometimes...and it sucks because he could be good if he gave a decent amount of effort.
The reality is that even pedestrian LTs win 90% of the time. Even when they are pitted against the GOAT. What is a GREAT year by definition for a DE? 16 sacks? 18?

Conservatively, lets look at 30 offensive passing plays in a game X 16 games. That is 480 snaps in a season. That means that a great season means putting a QB on the ground 3.3% of the time. If you look at hurries and knockdowns and define them as great... what are you looking at? 30 total sacks and hurries maybe 35? A great season by a DE is success between 3-8% of the time. Most LT's own most DE's MOST of the game.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #23
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
The reality is that even pedestrian LTs win 90% of the time. Even when they are pitted against the GOAT. What is a GREAT year by definition for a DE? 16 sacks? 18?

Conservatively, lets look at 30 offensive passing plays in a game X 16 games. That is 480 snaps in a season. That means that a great season means putting a QB on the ground 3.3% of the time. If you look at hurries and knockdowns and define them as great... what are you looking at? 30 total sacks and hurries maybe 35? A great season by a DE is success between 3-8% of the time. Most LT's own most DE's MOST of the game.

Mike
That's very interesting Mike, I've never gone through any analysis that way. Nicely done.

When Mario Williams was drafted #1 overall, we all expected him to completely dominate every snap and take over games. Because of that, I truly think we had such high expectations, that so many fans think he's a failure.

Is Mario the greatest of all time? No, but he is still one of the best DEs in the entire league. I think he has a ton more potential than what we've seen and has room to grow. That I think is a good thing b/c to be honest, I already like what I have witnessed from him.

He does have a lot of sacks from being unblocked or when TEs cover him. But who's fault is that? Honestly! If opposing offenses are that naive, shame on them. Mario exploits that. That's like not giving WRs/QBs credit for TDs when a LB is the one responsible for coverage. Who's to say Mario wasn't put in that position to expose the weakness of the Offense? That's what he's supposed to do and we're discounting this? Crazy. Mario does get sacks from pressure caused by other defenders. But so does every other DE. Mario also causes pressure that allows our other defenders to make plays. That's the team aspect of the game.

Mario has also beat his fair share of Tackles one on one. Another thing he does that makes him such a well rounded DE... one of the most well rounded DEs is his ability to take on and release from Linemen. There's tons of instances where he's even doubled teamed, gets off the linemen and makes the tackle on the RB.

All this Mario hate is crazy. He makes his fair share of positive plays. And yes, I would like to see more of it but I am NOWHERE near saying "bench him". That's laughable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ1MfrpJFv4

Just take a look at the clip. Some say he's unblocked on some plays. Well the truth of the matter is the offense sometimes pulls a guard to block the DE. That is common. Mario just blew right by the OG and it looks like he was unblocked. come on now.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #24
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Utilizing strengths? Putting players positions to utilize their strengths and make plays? Holding players accountable for the future success or failure of this new defensive regime?

Jeeeeez.....

Wade's inspiring a little confidence with this....at least for me. I could have the tone totally wrong but through reading the article it sounds like he was on the verge of saying "JFC will you morons at the moronicle forget about the numbers 3 and 4? It's called "DEFENSE". I have it. You need it. STFU about who stands where pre-snap already."
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
All this Mario hate is crazy.
The rest was well said, but this was all that needed to be said.
Old 02-02-2011   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, when healthy, I think Mario's a beast and can beat whoever he lines up against. However, I also think there's a lot left to be tapped. I truly hope Wade's not blowing smoke up our collective ass by saying what he has about having Mario play in the best positions for success.
Old 02-02-2011   #27
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Personally, when healthy, I think Mario's a beast and can beat whoever he lines up against. However, I also think there's a lot left to be tapped. I truly hope Wade's not blowing smoke up our collective ass by saying what he has about having Mario play in the best positions for success.
I truly think that Mario will be moved all over the place, and a part of the defense will be disguising what he will do on a particular play. Sometimes he will line up as a DE, sometimes OLB, and sometimes even at NT. Mario is a beast in both the run game and pass game, and OC's have to gameplan for his impact.
Old 02-02-2011   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
MW has underachieved. Mostly due to injury. But his history says he hasn't been a high intensity every play type guy. (Ex. Dumervil)

With that said all of that's in the past. The party's over and were about to find out if MW is more like Bruce Smith or Antonio Smith.

It's MW's legacy and what he wants to make of it. There are no more excuses. The DC/DL coaches are as good as it gets and have coached/taught HOF DE's. It's on MW now.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The rest was well said, but this was all that needed to be said.
If Mario isn't a P.O.S. then how can we ague what a terrible job we've done in the draft?

Sure we were praising the Smithiak team just 10 months ago... but things have changed. They are now garbage & everything they've done here is wrong.
Old 02-02-2011   #30
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I truly think that Mario will be moved all over the place, and a part of the defense will be disguising what he will do on a particular play. Sometimes he will line up as a DE, sometimes OLB, and sometimes even at NT. Mario is a beast in both the run game and pass game, and OC's have to gameplan for his impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
MW has underachieved. Mostly due to injury. But his history says he hasn't been a high intensity every play type guy. (Ex. Dumervil)

With that said all of that's in the past. The party's over and were about to find out if MW is more like Bruce Smith or Antonio Smith.

It's MW's legacy and what he wants to make of it. There are no more excuses. The DC/DL coaches are as good as it gets and have coached/taught HOF DE's. It's on MW now.
Agree with both points. Well said.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well, this isn't exactly the area Kubiak has been lacking in. Everything Wade says, Kubiak has said more or less.
Of course, to your ears. You didn't even have to admit it for me to already know it.

But the fans I talk to tell me how refreshing it is to hear Wade speak about football. There are no trap doors or mealy-mouth platitudes that you have to try to decipher. His confidence as a coach is quite evident, and he exudes an aura of a head coach that is just not there with Gary. Kubiak's demeanor comes across as uncertain and insecure, and this comes from a reporter who talks to him weekly (Bob Allen).

Quote:
Kubiak has had more success with finding what players do & putting them in position on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively, he pretty much gave them every draft... pretty much saying the same things Wade is saying.
I'm not going to advocate a position that Gary has done nothing right. His offense is clearly one of the successes of his tenure. Perhaps the offense and a sole 9-7 record are his head coaching highlights, but highlights nonetheless.

But I find this position from you to be hilarious in it's schizophrenic presentation. YOU have been the one heavily criticizing this offense all season for consistently failing to do much in the first half of games, and rightfully so as the position it put our already taxed defense in made things worse.

And for you to now reverse those months and month of offensive analysis in order to support a take now that undermines your oft-stated position...well, you are burning your own bridge of credibility.

Quote:
Gary's problem is more of a game management thing.
That's one of them. But if you think that's the only one as the HEAD COACH with a 37-43 record after six seasons, then it's clear that you've chosen to wear blinders that prevent you from seeing any bigger picture.
Old 02-03-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Of course, to your ears. You didn't even have to admit it for me to already know it.

But the fans I talk to tell me how refreshing it is to hear Wade speak about football. There are no trap doors or mealy-mouth platitudes that you have to try to decipher. His confidence as a coach is quite evident, and he exudes an aura of a head coach that is just not there with Gary. Kubiak's demeanor comes across as uncertain and insecure, and this comes from a reporter who talks to him weekly (Bob Allen).
We'll see how much confidence people have in Wade's words five years from now. I remember clearly, how we fans, & the media were confident that Gary's confidence would lead to more success than we've seen.
Old 02-03-2011   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But I find this position from you to be hilarious in it's schizophrenic presentation. YOU have been the one heavily criticizing this offense all season for consistently failing to do much in the first half of games, and rightfully so as the position it put our already taxed defense in made things worse.

And for you to now reverse those months and month of offensive analysis in order to support a take now that undermines your oft-stated position...well, you are burning your own bridge of credibility.
I'll give credit, where credit is due. Is this one of the better offenses in the league? Sure is.

Has Gary been able to build this offense without fleecing our draft picks away from the defensive side of the ball? Yes.

Is this offense all that it should be?

I don't think so.

I know what the stats say, but IMO, 5 years of the guru, we should be able to pass at will, we should be able to run at will, we should be able to score at will.

Kubiak has been able to do on offense, what we all hope Wade can do for the defense. Kubiak doesn't need studs at every position to make them competitive. Had he been able to put those high draft picks on offense, maybe we could be that offense.....

5 years, long enough for me. I'm not arguing that Kubiak should have stayed. I think he should have gone. I do not agree with McNair, & I'm only trying to make sense of it, so I can move forward.

IMO, this is a bold move by McNair. & I'll be rooting for it to work.
Old 02-03-2011   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I'll give credit, where credit is due. Is this one of the better offenses in the league? Sure is.

Has Gary been able to build this offense without fleecing our draft picks away from the defensive side of the ball? Yes.

Is this offense all that it should be?

I don't think so.

I know what the stats say, but IMO, 5 years of the guru, we should be able to pass at will, we should be able to run at will, we should be able to score at will.

Kubiak has been able to do on offense, what we all hope Wade can do for the defense. Kubiak doesn't need studs at every position to make them competitive. Had he been able to put those high draft picks on offense, maybe we could be that offense.....

5 years, long enough for me. I'm not arguing that Kubiak should have stayed. I think he should have gone. I do not agree with McNair, & I'm only trying to make sense of it, so I can move forward.

IMO, this is a bold move by McNair. & I'll be rooting for it to work
Holy Mother of Pearl! I actually had to read this twice, TK. I'm still caught off-guard and flabbergasted that I agree with something you said.

Heh, heh, just messin with ya, bro
Old 02-03-2011   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll be rooting for it to work.
I feel confident that this is a statement that 99.9% of Texans fans will agree with.

Quote:
We'll see how much confidence people have in Wade's words five years from now. I remember clearly, how we fans, & the media were confident that Gary's confidence would lead to more success than we've seen.
I think the difference is that Wade has been a HC for multiple teams with varying degrees of success, whereas this is Gary's first gig and the best he's been able to produce is a 9-7 record after six seasons. Wade's also got a winning record as a HC (82-59), had six winnings seasons (four of them double-digit wins & five trips to the playoffs), and even won a playoff game.

My own prediction is that Gary will continue to flounder and Wade will eventually take his place. And it will be Wade Phillips that takes this team to it's first playoff trip. I hope I'm wrong, as more season(s) that result in no playoffs is brutal, but I have absolutely no confidence in Kubiak as a HC at this point. Wade I can live with...not my first choice, but he's still heads and shoulders above Gary.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read