Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-01-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who'll make a Super Bowl first: the Cowboys or Texans?

Without any major changes in the offing, almost the better question at this time is will the Texans make the PLAYOFFS before the Cowboys make the SUPERBOWL? I intend to keep any pro Texans betting money in my pocket for a while. I'll take my chances on losing that money by it burning a hole in my pocket.

[From the Austin Statesmen's sports columnists]
Quote:
Kirk Bohls: Against my better judgment I'm taking the Cowboys, because they at least have a better head coach than the Texans; a much, much better defense with a better secondary; and a more mobile quarterback.

Jason Garrett has little experience as a head coach but inherited a 1-7 team (yes, he was a big part of that) and took it to a 5-3 record, including three wins on the road. Was there a worse pass defense than the youthful Texans', who finished dead last in that category and 30th in overall defense? The Cowboys just have more players and more playmakers.

Dallas also has heightened expectations, especially since it's hosting the Super Bowl. For Houston, a playoff berth, any playoff berth a division title, wild-card spot, loophole in the rules, anything is the goal, not a Super Bowl. Houston has played nine straight seasons without an extra game. The better news for Texans fans is that coaches Bill Cowher and Jeff Fisher are on the open market.

Cedric Golden: The Cowboys. But that's not to say it will be soon.

Last time I checked, a team has to make the playoffs before it can play in a Super Bowl, and the Texans haven't showed any ability to win the games that matter most in the regular season.

Gary Kubiak is the most unique coach in football: five straight seasons without a playoff appearance, yet he still has a job that pays him $2 million a year. Those are numbers much bigger than that 37-43 regular-season record, especially when you have Super Bowl winners Brian Billick, Jon Gruden and Cowher sitting on the sidelines.

The Cowboys are a better bet to make a postseason run.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who'll make a Super Bowl first: the Cowboys or Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Without any major changes in the offing, almost the better question at this time is will the Texans make the PLAYOFFS before the Cowboys make the SUPERBOWL? I intend to keep any pro Texans betting money in my pocket for a while. I'll take my chances on losing that money by it burning a hole in my pocket.

[From the Austin Statesmen's sports columnists]
Doc, as always, I can count on you to add a ray of sunshine to my day.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kirk Bohls and Cedric Golden were quoted on this board. Take me now, I've seen it all.

What sucks to know even more is I can only agree with their conclusions on the matter though not neccessarily how they came to their respective conclusions. For one I didn't ralize the jury was in on Jason Garrett. Eight games in the positive direction notwithstanding.
Old 02-01-2011   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

The question itself is dumb.

I'm a Texan season ticket holder, hate the Cowboys, think Jason Garrett is overrated and even I know this question is a no-brainer: The Cowboys w/out a doubt.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #5
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Easy answer: Cowboys.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Cowgirls or the Texans are getting anywhere near a Super Bowl anytime soon. Even still, I have to agree when it does happen, it'll be the Cowpies first.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #7
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 270 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

Matt Schaub will lead the Texans to the playoffs next year!

Tony Romo will lead the Cowboys to mediocrity at 8-8
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2011   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans.

I'll never pick the Cowboys to finish ahead of the Texans at anything. This board is getting depressing to even log on to.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The Texans.

I'll never pick the Cowboys to finish ahead of the Texans at anything. This board is getting depressing to even log on to.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm who are these so called PLaymakers for Dallas ????

TBO i cant really name anyone on the D other then maybe

Newman
i know they got a good OLB/DE guy from texas but i forgot his name
and that crazy white dude that gives the hooorraaahhh speaches

but isnt dallas D getting a little Older ?????

playing in the NFCE tho IMO is much harder then playing in the AFC south

im going with the Texans on this one a Stable O and hopefully a Turned around D once Phillps gets about 2 years with them
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #11
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

neither the rapture will come before then...my bet is 30 minutes before kickoff of Superbowl...thanks God you gouldnt wait 4 hours...
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #12
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

So wait. Both teams underperformed last year. The Texans have a top 5 offense and the worst defense in the league, they go hire one of the best defensive coordinators in the league and somehow they aren't the favorite in this?

Furthermore, if the answer is "neither anytime soon" then its really a 50/50 proposition because apparently neither has any of the pieces in place and both would be complete rebuilding processes.

I would bet on the Texans if you held a gun to my head. Why? Bob seems to have conceeded that he knows nothing. He might, even if by a strike of luck, get the right guys running his football operation and if he does they have a realistic chance. Jerry on the other hand is oblivious to the fact that he is not a football genius. He got lucky that JJ was there and won him a championship. He will meddle in football until he sells the team if you ask me, and that virtually guarantees that they won't have any sustained success.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm basing my prediction of the Cowturds getting to the SB first based solely on the history of pro football in Houston, not anything with the current teams or owners.

Someone said the Astrodome and Reliant Stadium were built on ancient burial grounds and we're cursed or something. For the time being I'm going with that until proven otherwise.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #14
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

My head wants to explode at the very thought of the Dallas Cowboys even WATCHING a superbowl much less playing in one.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Even tho it's not umm sexy to talk about olines but just going by what I see who's o line is better Houston or dallas

Seeing has how Dallas didnt have a good running game and got there qb injured and gave up sacks I'll say ours is better
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

One owner is committed to winning about as badly as any owner in the league. I hate Jerry, but he is.

The other owner is about as committed to winning as Ralph Wilson and Mike Brown in Bob Mcnair.

The smart money is on Jerry Jones.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #17
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its the Texans, and honestly I'm putting my homerism aside.

"All" the team needs to do is shore up the defense to even MEDIOCRE and they're in the playoffs. That alone is the first step.

The Giants and Eagles will be really good for a really long time, while the Colts are on their downward swing, and the Jags are solid but not world-beaters. The Redskins and the Titans are both generally worthless and in major turmoil so I'm not even going to consider them in terms of divisional hurdles.

I dunno. We'll see.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Realistically, our D has a heck of an uphill road. And nothing guarantees that our O holds to at least this past year's performance. How many teams each year have we seen go from relatively successful to closer to dud, for one reason or another?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read