Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-10-2011   #41
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official switch to the 3-4 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Julio Jones is the better WR. When Julio Jones is on, he is easily the best WR in the nation. He's better than Green and Blackmon. Julio just doesn't have it turned on all the time.

This is the best top end WR draft in a while. I don't think AJ Green is going to go to route of Charles Rogers, but from a physical standpoint, I think Julio better compares to Andre than anyone else. If I'm drafting a WR early this year, it's Julio Jones.
Interesting thoughts. I hate to stray away from the 3-4 thread topic but of the 3 WRs (Green, Blackmon and Jones) who do yall think would COMPLIMENT our team the most? Starting opposite Andre and then Walter will get some snaps. But as far as the Texans go, who would fill the #2 spot the best?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #42
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Interesting thoughts. I hate to stray away from the 3-4 thread topic but of the 3 WRs (Green, Blackmon and Jones) who do yall think would COMPLIMENT our team the most? Starting opposite Andre and then Walter will get some snaps. But as far as the Texans go, who would fill the #2 spot the best?
If Jones is a bit on and off, I think we have one of those in our own Jones so i don't see that working that great.

I think Blackmon could be the guy.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #43
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
If Jones is a bit on and off, I think we have one of those in our own Jones so i don't see that working that great.

He's not that on and off. He's mostly on. He needs a little motivation at times. He's on and off like Andre was coming out of Miami, expect Julio is more polished. Andre had better top end speed and vertical, but Julio is more polished.
Old 01-10-2011   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre with Julio is a better 1-2 punch, their styles compliment one another. as oppossed to Blackmon who I question would accept the role of a #2 with similar skill set of size & speed.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #45
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Julio Jones is the better WR. When Julio Jones is on, he is easily the best WR in the nation. He's better than Green and Blackmon. Julio just doesn't have it turned on all the time.

This is the best top end WR draft in a while. I don't think AJ Green is going to go to route of Charles Rogers, but from a physical standpoint, I think Julio better compares to Andre than anyone else. If I'm drafting a WR early this year, it's Julio Jones.
I have Quintorris Lopez Jones rated 3rd behind both Adriel Jeremiah Green and Justin Blackmon.

I like how Green and Blackmon find the endzone. Jones has 15 career touchdowns. Only 7 this year. Green had 9 in 9 games, and Blackmon had an amazing 20 this year. Also Blackmon is very powerful. Dude topped 100 yards in EVERY game he played in this year. Had multi-touchdown games 6 times this year. They are all good players. In the games ive watched, Jones just doesnt do it for me.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #46
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Andre with Julio is a better 1-2 punch, their styles compliment one another. as oppossed to Blackmon who I question would accept the role of a #2 with similar skill set of size & speed.
I dont understand how you can debate what role any of the WR's would accept.
Old 01-11-2011   #47
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans plan on going for Blackmon or Jones (assume Green's off the board), then I don't think they can risk trading back at all in the first. Look at the teams behind them that need a WR. The Rams for sure, Jags, Patriots, Chargers and Bucs could all use some WR help. Even the Redskins at 10 may go with Jones or Blackmon, as they seem to have no help for Santana Moss.

I dunno about this WR in the 1st idea, our offense seemed to do well enough this year that I think we can wait till the 3rd-5th round to pick up one or two. I think with our new defense, we would be better off using the 1st round pick to add to the front 7 and/or trade back to get more picks to fill holes. 11th is a very good spot to use for trading back and we may be able to sell one of those WRs or QBs for a late first, second and fourth pick instead.

Quote:
ORDER OF SELECTION: 2011 NFL DRAFT
Team W-L Win Pct Strength of Schedule**
1. Panthers 2-14 .125 .574
2. Broncos 4-12 .250 .516
3. Bills 4-12 .250 .578
4. Bengals 4-12 .250 .582
5. Cardinals 5-11 .313 .465
6. Browns 5-11 .313 .570
7. 49ers 6-10 .375 .488
8. Titans 6-10 .375 .508
9. Cowboys 6-10 .375 .512
10. Redskins 6-10 .375 .516
11. Texans 6-10 .375 .523
12. Vikings 6-10 .375 .539
13. Lions 6-10 .375 .543
14. Rams 7-9 .438 .449
15. Dolphins 7-9 .438 .539
16. Jaguars 8-8 .500 .453
17. Patriots 14-2 .875 .504
18. Chargers 9-7 .563 .457
19. Giants 10-6 .625 .453
20. Buccaneers 10-6 .625 .477
Old 01-11-2011   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

I dunno about this WR in the 1st idea, our offense seemed to do well enough this year that I think we can wait till the 3rd-5th round to pick up one or two. I think with our new defense, we would be better off using the 1st round pick to add to the front 7 and/or trade back to get more picks to fill holes. 11th is a very good spot to use for trading back and we may be able to sell one of those WRs or QBs for a late first, second and fourth pick instead.
I like your thinking. With what you propose, what kind of package would you put together with those extra picks?
Old 01-11-2011   #49
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I like your thinking. With what you propose, what kind of package would you put together with those extra picks?
DE with the 1st (Cam Heyward looks like a good pick for 17-25th)
FS with the 2nd (Deunta Williams might be there)
ILB or OLB with the 4th for depth since we may not re-sign both Diles and Bentley.

Use the normal 2nd and 3rd round picks for CB/DT and you could turn this defense around real quick with the addition of a couple free agents (Spears, Wilson, Bailey and/or Aso)

Use the Texan's 4th round pick on a WR, and the rest BPA.
Old 01-11-2011   #50
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Jones is just another, more expensive Jacoby.
Old 01-11-2011   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If the Texans plan on going for Blackmon or Jones (assume Green's off the board), then I don't think they can risk trading back at all in the first. Look at the teams behind them that need a WR. The Rams for sure, Jags, Patriots, Chargers and Bucs could all use some WR help. Even the Redskins at 10 may go with Jones or Blackmon, as they seem to have no help for Santana Moss.

I like this

You can pick a S like Moore late in the 1st. Then in the 2nd draft a NT like Ellis or Fua. With the 2nd 2nd rd pick you could draft a LB like Moch or Herzlich. This represents taking the BPA and you're able to fill holes in the defense with quality players. This leaves the rest of the draft for BPA. It's a great idea. The Tough part is finding a trading partner.

K.C., Chi,N.E might make good trading partners.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #52
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Jones is just another, more expensive Jacoby.
That sounds about right. Julio drops some catchable balls and multiple sources say he is slow off the ball. That sounds like a Dwayne Jarrett to me. I am sticking with middle round 1 projection. 15-20. With a mediocre combine, 20-30.

AJ Green top 5
Justin Blackmon top 15
Julio Jones top 20

Back to defense. Top 10 probable players should be:

1 A QB.
2 AJ Green
3 Patrick Peterson
4 Nick Fairley
5 Marcell Dareus
6 Da'Quan Bowers
7 Robert Quinn
8 Prince Amukamara
9 A QB
10 Adrian Clayborn or a QB

On the defensive side of the ball that gives us a good shot at:

Von Miller
J.J. Watt
Akeem Ayers
Stephen Paea
Brandon Harris

We will be getting a very good player @ 11. If we do in fact go defense I think it should be a NT or OLB pass rusher. Ayers, Miller and Paea should do just fine.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read