Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate > Platinum & Blue Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Blue Crew pals only!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I grew up outside of Pasadena but spent a lot of time there . The Pasadena Plaza , Sears and Wyats off Southmore , The High School Stadium off Burke , I've even been to Gilley's .
My mom still lives just blocks away from where Gilley's used to be. My actual address was Houston growing up, but it was the border along Allen Genoa off of 225 near the ship channel (man, when that north wind blew, the stink was just nasty!). Me and my metalhead friends were tempted to take a leak on the Gilleys site, but we were still scared of Sherwood Crier. Went to school with one of his daughters and knew a bit about him, so hitting that hornet's nest was a strong deterrent to 'paying our respects' to Gilleys.

But always attended Pasadena schools, and the folks ended up moving after my freshman year as PHS. I then went through the culture shock of a blue collar family moving in with the uppity crowd at Rayburn.

I am very familiar with all the places you mentioned. I wore a lot of clothes from that Sears and Wieners on Southmore. My junior high jazz band played at the ribbon cutting of the Pasadena Plaza, and I've played many times at the stadium on Burke.

I don't get back to Pasadena much these days, but every time I go I'm amazed at how much has changed. The Fairmont corridor exploded the past 10-15 years! Used to be nothing but fields but now it's full on suburbia and strip malls.
Old 01-04-2011   #42
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My mom still lives just blocks away from where Gilley's used to be. My actual address was Houston growing up, but it was the border along Allen Genoa off of 225 near the ship channel (man, when that north wind blew, the stink was just nasty!). Me and my metalhead friends were tempted to take a leak on the Gilleys site, but we were still scared of Sherwood Crier. Went to school with one of his daughters and knew a bit about him, so hitting that hornet's nest was a strong deterrent to 'paying our respects' to Gilleys.

But always attended Pasadena schools, and the folks ended up moving after my freshman year as PHS. I then went through the culture shock of a blue collar family moving in with the uppity crowd at Rayburn.

I am very familiar with all the places you mentioned. I wore a lot of clothes from that Sears and Wieners on Southmore. My junior high jazz band played at the ribbon cutting of the Pasadena Plaza, and I've played many times at the stadium on Burke.

I don't get back to Pasadena much these days, but every time I go I'm amazed at how much has changed. The Fairmont corridor exploded the past 10-15 years! Used to be nothing but fields but now it's full on suburbia and strip malls.
I went to Red Bluff Elementary back in 1976 and 1977!!! I rode the bull at Gilley's when I was about 6 years old. I remember that well. A good looking chick held my hand and it moved as slow as possible. I grew up in a beer joint my step dad owned off I-10 and McCarty Dr. We were all over the east and southeast side growing up...
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #43
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I used to work at that power plant off Light Company Rd . I guess from 82 to 88 . If you jumped on Old Galveston and drove about 10 miles south , that's where I grew up .

I had to sing Christmas carols at the Pasedena Plaza in 5th grade . We had a Weingartens and a Monkey Wards there also . My parents liked to go to Wyats cafeteria on payday and then walk around Woolworths . Then they put an Oshman's in when I was about 13 ... yeah .

We were told that Rayburn and Parkview were the rich kids and that one day we'd probably work for them . That's how they got us up for games . I know some Rayburn guys , some Dobie guys to .

About Sherwood .

http://www.houstonpress.com/1997-05-...rwood-s-rules/

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-04-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
I went to Red Bluff Elementary back in 1976 and 1977!!! I rode the bull at Gilley's when I was about 6 years old. I remember that well. A good looking chick held my hand and it moved as slow as possible. I grew up in a beer joint my step dad owned off I-10 and McCarty Dr. We were all over the east and southeast side growing up...
I knew a few people from Red Bluff Elementary at PHS. We were in school around the same time (I'm 43 so a few years ahead). I went to Garfield elementary on transfer, as the folks didn't want us to be 'latch key kids' at that age, so we ended up at a daycare every day after school until mom could get off work and rescue us.

Cool story about the bull! Those were the days, and I remember the buzz around town when "Urban Cowboy" was being filmed. Then it was years of folks coming from all over the country to visit Gilleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I used to work at that power plant off Light Company Rd . I guess from 82 to 88 . If you jumped on Old Galveston and drove about 10 miles south , that's where I grew up .

I had to sing Christmas carols at the Pasedena Plaza in 5th grade . We had a Weingartens and a Monkey Wards there also . My parents liked to go to Wyats cafeteria on payday and then walk around Woolworths . Then they put an Oshman's in when I was about 13 ... yeah .

We were told that Rayburn and Parkview were the rich kids and that one day we'd probably work for them . That's how they got us up for games . I know some Rayburn guys , some Dobie guys to .

About Sherwood .

http://www.houstonpress.com/1997-05-...rwood-s-rules/
I remember reading that story about Sherwood! After reading it I realized that all the stories I was told as a kid about him were true!

Funny about Rayburn and Parkview (my younger sis went there). I adapted pretty quick and was fortunate to meet a lifelong friend across the street from our new home. We started a rock band right away, and since he was a really nice guy and popular (his older bro was a football star at the school), I got to ride his coattails a little bit. My sister always resented being at Rayburn, though, and would hang out with the trashy crowd just to piss off the folks. Good times, man.

Funny about all the places you mentioned as they all come flooding back. That Oshmans was a big deal when it was new. All the cool kids got to wear their dessert boots and Ocean Pacific stuff, but I was still stuck with Weiners and Sears clothes. Made me mentally tougher in the long run, though, not fitting in and following the crowd.
Old 01-04-2011   #45
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I knew a few people from Red Bluff Elementary at PHS. We were in school around the same time (I'm 43 so a few years ahead). I went to Garfield elementary on transfer, as the folks didn't want us to be 'latch key kids' at that age, so we ended up at a daycare every day after school until mom could get off work and rescue us.

Cool story about the bull! Those were the days, and I remember the buzz around town when "Urban Cowboy" was being filmed. Then it was years of folks coming from all over the country to visit Gilleys.

I remember reading that story about Sherwood! After reading it I realized that all the stories I was told as a kid about him were true!

Funny about Rayburn and Parkview (my younger sis went there). I adapted pretty quick and was fortunate to meet a lifelong friend across the street from our new home. We started a rock band right away, and since he was a really nice guy and popular (his older bro was a football star at the school), I got to ride his coattails a little bit. My sister always resented being at Rayburn, though, and would hang out with the trashy crowd just to piss off the folks. Good times, man.

Funny about all the places you mentioned as they all come flooding back. That Oshmans was a big deal when it was new. All the cool kids got to wear their dessert boots and Ocean Pacific stuff, but I was still stuck with Weiners and Sesar clothes. Made me mentally tougher in the long run, though, not fitting in and following the crowd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ci2ev8FZY
Old 01-05-2011   #46
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think I know a guy who is related to this chick. He was telling me about this exact same scenario on a fishing forum awhile back.

That's pretty funny. She's been at it for years. Maybe someday she can get over herself.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
That's pretty funny. She's been at it for years. Maybe someday she can get over herself.
yep, it went back years. He stopped posting there because of all the drama.

That's why I appreciate this forum so much. We have a great owner in Hookem, great admins, a solid moderation team, and of course, tons of great members. There is a balance here that sometimes gets a little wobbly - mainly directly related to the trials and tribulations of the Texans - but in the long run it's a great place.

Which is why I hate to see a member like Gma go, but hopefully it's just a break for some rest and she comes back recharged soon.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate > Platinum & Blue Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read