Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-03-2011   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A quick reaction mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It seems odd to me at first too. But all signs point to Kubiak staying as HC and a new DC coming in. I think McNair/Smith will finally give this team some more room to sign FAs. This year was awful on that side and I have a gut feeling they're going to fill our holes with some veterans. Jason Allen was a step, a positive step... but I think they sign 1 or 2 legitimate DBs. Champ Bailey is high on my list... Lanze Z says there's rumors the Texans like Ike Taylor from Pitt.

Andre Johnson has a bad ankle injury (hopefully it will recover). Jacoby Jones is so dang inconsistent. Entering last his last season in contract. Kevin Walter has a spot on this team for sure. Should see a lot of snaps but not a huge amount of passes. Dickerson is young and needs grooming; David Anderson is not a game changer.

If and only if we address the defense with some solid free agents, I would be completely fine with a WR like Blackmon. I don't like the DBs at 11th so I'd be looking at DT/NT or LB.
from our experience, does Blackmon profile really fit Kubiak/Smith Texans?

who else is going to pay Jacoby, Walter like numbers?

I don't like the db options @ #11 either. so I have DT/DE as preferred position to draft #11 overall. I like alot of the talent (Kerrigan, Clayborn, Nevis, Paea, Watt, just to name a few) so Texans should easily be able to address this key need, early without rushing to another position to get value.

Ike Taylor would be a great get, but with the Texans luck he'll probably be Super Bowl Defensive Player of the game or something?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #22
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think both Clayborn and Watt will be good 3-4 DE's. I think Watt is as close to Chris Long as you'll find in a prospect. Nothing exciting, but very solid. Not a game changer.

I think Luck will be the #1, but I also think Gabbert will be a top 10 pick, especially with the needs of some of the bad teams. Locker might sneak in there but I've never liked him and don't grade him that highly at all. QB's are a premium. They will be drafted if there are remotely close to value. I also think Julio Jones could potentially sneak in the top 11, as well as the OT from Colorado or Wisconsin. It's a down year for elite LT prospects, but there are still some very good ones, and they will always have value to teams.
Old 01-03-2011   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I think both Clayborn and Watt will be good 3-4 DE's. I think Watt is as close to Chris Long as you'll find in a prospect. Nothing exciting, but very solid. Not a game changer.

I think Luck will be the #1, but I also think Gabbert will be a top 10 pick, especially with the needs of some of the bad teams. Locker might sneak in there but I've never liked him and don't grade him that highly at all. QB's are a premium. They will be drafted if there are remotely close to value. I also think Julio Jones could potentially sneak in the top 11, as well as the OT from Colorado or Wisconsin. It's a down year for elite LT prospects, but there are still some very good ones, and they will always have value to teams.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #24
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Ca$h Newton comes out and goes early, dropping a pick down. Either of the top 2 QBs could go to at 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #25
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I haven't watched too many of his games, but I did watch their bowl game against Nebraska. He was awful in that game completing 5 of 16 for 56 yards. He was decent running the ball, but I'm not too fond of run first QB's. Was this game against Nebraska just an awful game or has it been the norm for Locker?

On a side note: I'm looking forward to seeing how Andrew Luck does tonight.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #26
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I haven't watched too many of his games, but I did watch their bowl game against Nebraska. He was awful in that game completing 5 of 16 for 56 yards. He was decent running the ball, but I'm not too fond of run first QB's. Was this game against Nebraska just an awful game or has it been the norm for Locker?

On a side note: I'm looking forward to seeing how Andrew Luck does tonight.
It seems to be more the norm in the games I've seen of him over the years. He's also fairly injury prone w/his running style. He's got a prototypical build and a big time arm. He was drafted by the LA Angels I believe as a RF, which typically have big time arms. He played in a pro-style offense, but he also had to play under 3 offensive coordinators. That has to be tough. He's a leader and was seen as a savior by the community. My boss is from Alaska and grew up a Huskies fan. He loves the guy.

I just wouldn't spend a pick on him, but someone might. My point was that QB's are valuable. I think Luck, Gabbert, and Mallet go in the top 15. I think Locker goes in the first. I think Pryor and Newton are complete wildcards. QB's will drop some players down. I'd put money on it that at least 2 OT's go before our pick. If you don't believe teams will reach on a LT, just look at Duane Brown.
Old 01-03-2011   #27
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It seems to be more the norm in the games I've seen of him over the years. He's also fairly injury prone w/his running style. He's got a prototypical build and a big time arm. He was drafted by the LA Angels I believe as a RF, which typically have big time arms. He played in a pro-style offense, but he also had to play under 3 offensive coordinators. That has to be tough. He's a leader and was seen as a savior by the community. My boss is from Alaska and grew up a Huskies fan. He loves the guy.

I just wouldn't spend a pick on him, but someone might. My point was that QB's are valuable. I think Luck, Gabbert, and Mallet go in the top 15. I think Locker goes in the first. I think Pryor and Newton are complete wildcards. QB's will drop some players down. I'd put money on it that at least 2 OT's go before our pick. If you don't believe teams will reach on a LT, just look at Duane Brown.
I would love to see some QBs or OTs drop some good players down to the Texans spot. I just hope they make a good pick this time!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

# QB's probably will be drafted in the top 10.

That means a top DE will fall. (Quinn,Kerrigan.

If they go to a 3-4 they have to be able to figure out which one can transition to OLB.

Either that or move MW to OLB and let the pick play DE.

Trading down would be the best option.

Would you take Oaklands 2nd 4th and 2012 1st for # 13?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read