Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-23-2010   #121
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
10 Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

Stephen Paea is the best player on the board who would help improve Houston's defense. Paea is a 310-pound tackle who has 11 TFL and seven sacks on the year.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Marcell Dareus, DT - I imagine that the Texans will be targeting Marcell Dareus. Unfortunately, he went off the board one selection earlier.

2. Ryan Kerrigan, DE - The Texans have no pass rush outside of Mario Williams. They may consider Ryan Kerrigan to be the best player available.

41. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
The Texans desperately need to address both safety positions this offseason. Free safety is more dire, as Eugene Wilson and Troy Nolan have both failed there.

72. Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.
I would be happy with this draft. My top 3 guys in round one are Paea, Kerrigan and Bailey, in no particular order.

I love Williams in the 2nd. I happen to think he is a first round talent, but he is dropping because of his suspension, and the fact that he played poorly upon his return.

Not wild about Acho, but meh, like goes on.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010   #122
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I would be happy with this draft. My top 3 guys in round one are Paea, Kerrigan and Bailey, in no particular order.

I love Williams in the 2nd. I happen to think he is a first round talent, but he is dropping because of his suspension, and the fact that he played poorly upon his return.

Not wild about Acho, but meh, like goes on.

I would be okay with Kerrigan but I'm not sure about Bailey, he's another Antonio Smith IMO. I've heard good things about Paea but have't watched him play as much this year.

I would also like for the Texans to try and get Alex Wujucak (wrong spelling) from Maryland to play either the MLB as a backup or OLB as a starter, he's a solid tackkler and a good player overall.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010   #123
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I would be okay with Kerrigan but I'm not sure about Bailey, he's another Antonio Smith IMO. I've heard good things about Paea but have't watched him play as much this year.

I would also like for the Texans to try and get Alex Wujucak (wrong spelling) from Maryland to play either the MLB as a backup or OLB as a starter, he's a solid tackkler and a good player overall.
I understand your concerns, as I have them as well. However, he is worth the risk, depending on draft slot of course. He is a physical freak, at 6'4" 280 lbs (8% body fat), able to vertical 38", run the 40 in 4.68 and bench over 400 lbs. His play his first couple years was very suspect, but this past year he really turned it on, with 7 sacks and 14 TFL. He is only going to get better.

I like Wujciak as well, but strictly as a MLB. I dont see him being any better than Diles at WLB. I would take him in the 5th or so.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010   #124
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I understand your concerns, as I have them as well. However, he is worth the risk, depending on draft slot of course. He is a physical freak, at 6'4" 280 lbs (8% body fat), able to vertical 38", run the 40 in 4.68 and bench over 400 lbs. His play his first couple years was very suspect, but this past year he really turned it on, with 7 sacks and 14 TFL. He is only going to get better.

I like Wujciak as well, but strictly as a MLB. I dont see him being any better than Diles at WLB. I would take him in the 5th or so.

There are players (e.g. James Hall, St. Louis) who are big but are still able to record sacks and pressure QBs. If Bailey does well in the combines and is open to playing in a 4-3 scheme (which he should be), then I would be excitied to see what he can bring to the table.

Having Bailey who has previous experience playing both DE and DT switch on and off with Antonio Smith on the inside and outside (playing DT on passing situations for example) would add another dimension to our defense.

Something like this perhaps:

Mario Williams, Allen Bailey, DT, Antonio Smith (with Smith switching with bailey every now and then)

Don't know how effective this would be but it would utiliaze Bailey's ability to play DT.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #125
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my cherry pick.

if we stay 4-3

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma. Not high on Deunta Williams. Top FS in a weak FS class doesn't do it for me. Get me another pass rusher opposite Mario instead.

3.Sione Fua, DT, Stanford. A big NT type of DT who could play well in a 4-3 or 3-4. Would compliment our smaller penetrating DTs.

If we go 3-4

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but does not fit into a 3-4. Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss. Gotta have a good NT and he would be a very sold one. See my above comment about Deunta Williams.

3. Casey Matthews, ILB, Oregon. Good NFL bloodlines and knows how to compete. You keep Cush as 3-4 OLB, have Meco and Matthews at the ILB spots, and let Barwin et al compete at the other 3-4OLB spot.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #126
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
Here is my cherry pick.

if we stay 4-3

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma. Not high on Deunta Williams. Top FS in a weak FS class doesn't do it for me. Get me another pass rusher opposite Mario instead.

3.Sione Fua, DT, Stanford. A big NT type of DT who could play well in a 4-3 or 3-4. Would compliment our smaller penetrating DTs.

If we go 3-4

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but does not fit into a 3-4. Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss. Gotta have a good NT and he would be a very sold one. See my above comment about Deunta Williams.

3. Casey Matthews, ILB, Oregon. Good NFL bloodlines and knows how to compete. You keep Cush as 3-4 OLB, have Meco and Matthews at the ILB spots, and let Barwin et al compete at the other 3-4OLB spot.
hope we stay 4-3

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #127
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Every year the fans cry out for a big beefy DT, every year the cry goes unanswered.

Maybe the new DC will bring a scheme requiring a space eater, you never know, big fatty fans.

Unless Kubiak really likes the small penetrating type, then you'll all have to pine some more.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read