Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2010   #41
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 124578 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Special teams/Joe Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
But that's the post he quoted; someone complaining about Slaton sucking as a kick returner.

Dex, you're right, there are some things we should do, but if you're arguing Slaton isn't a terrible returner, it's all on Kubiak, we're just not on the same page.
Sorry, I was replying to post #34,35 & 36. I did not see #37 & 38 before I posted.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #42
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I know everyone wants to pinpoint our return woes on Slaton... but did you know Jacoby is only doing two yards per return better than Steve? They are both towards the bottom in the league. This leads me to believe it's more on the blocking than the return man.

According to this site's formula, we have the 6th worst special teams in the league. Our only positive portion of special teams has been field goal kicking.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267056 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

And it hasn't been inability that has kept Brown (last year) and Rackers this year from kicking the the ball into the EZ. In practice, both could be seen knocking the ball out of the park. The short kicks with milisecond hang times to the 10 and 15 yd lines in games are evidently "coached." If we had good coverage teams like in the earlier years, you could say that it gave us a chance to get down the field quickly and hit hard and get turnovers. We've had terrible coverage and no turnovers and resulting crappy field position..............and we STILL continue to kick off short..........now ain't THAT special?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #44
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

We've also had a few injuries and we have gotten rid of a few vets...New guys playing special teams as well...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267056 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
During the jets game the announcers said that Turk was injured...
Injury reports have been so arbitrary. For the past couple of months, Turk has been fighting through a debilitating "hip" injury. Yet no one has been brought in to at least temporarily rest him.
Old 12-21-2010   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Injury reports have been so arbitrary. For the past couple of months, Turk has been fighting through a debilitating "hip" injury. Yet no one has been brought in to at least temporarily rest him.
Yeah, this is what urks the heck out of me. The dude's been stinkin it up darn near all season and we haven't done a dadgum thing about it? But when we have a position player or their back up go down, we bring in 2 or 3 players for workouts? Turk must owe Kubiak money or something. Geez
Old 12-21-2010   #47
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeah, this is what urks the heck out of me. The dude's been stinkin it up darn near all season and we haven't done a dadgum thing about it? But when we have a position player or their back up go down, we bring in 2 or 3 players for workouts? Turk must owe Kubiak money or something. Geez
Turk's kicking actually helps our defense. They don't give up as many yards and that's a fact, Jack!
Old 12-21-2010   #48
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Turk's kicking actually helps our defense. They don't give up as many yards and that's a fact, Jack!
That's one way of looking at it
Old 12-21-2010   #49
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe I'll care if a new coach comes in and wants to change the special teams coaching. If he chooses to retain Marciano then I probably won't be all that upset either. I think we've had a bad year on special teams but that generally we're solid if unspectacular and solid is enough most of the time. Marciano can do better and more than likely will again.

But he's had a bad year though, no doubt about it.

Rackers hasn't been bad but Turk is done. Time catches up with everyone eventually.
Old 12-21-2010   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I was talking about how Kubiak limits Maricano's ability to be aggressive
with special teams.
Even if that's the case, this has really been the first year that our return game has really suffered...
Old 12-21-2010   #51
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

If there's a change in ST coaching perhaps it will be with someone who will let Holliday just go with his instincts and speed to be that guy that he was drafted to be. If he can catch the ball

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
If there's a change in ST coaching perhaps it will be with someone who will let Holliday just go with his instincts and speed to be that guy that he was drafted to be. If he can catch the ball
He may have had some problems with hanging on to the ball at LSU. But even so, it's hard to catch a ball without a thumb.
Old 12-21-2010   #53
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Well da blockers are mostly our 2nd stringers and Leech

IMO Leech is to slow to be on special teams

everyone knows the punter is the QB of the SPecial Teams and TURK needs to go thats whats wrong with our Special teams

ANd the recivers Man SLaton just sucks at returning kicks JJ two all that SUckage and what do u expect LOL

I dont know if Trindon Holiday is the answer But we Deff need to Draft the best punter off the board YEAH i SAID IT
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #54
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He may have had some problems with hanging on to the ball at LSU. But even so, it's hard to catch a ball without a thumb.
Something about this whole thumb issue doesn't mesh right with me. I'm thinking they really did not want to leave him exposed on the practice squad.

I was a big fan of Holliday and still am despite his preseason struggles. I believe he has tons of potential. I saw that upon his very first return before he got "coached up". There are some players that you just let them be. Let the kid run on space. Worry about coaching up the blockers or solving the new wedge rule change.
Old 12-21-2010   #55
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Holiday is going to be on a short Leash this Offseason he going to have to fight to make this team imo
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #56
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Something about this whole thumb issue doesn't mesh right with me. I'm thinking they really did not want to leave him exposed on the practice squad.

I was a big fan of Holliday and still am despite his preseason struggles. I believe he has tons of potential. I saw that upon his very first return before he got "coached up". There are some players that you just let them be. Let the kid run on space. Worry about coaching up the blockers or solving the new wedge rule change.
I have a feeling that Holliday has a very good chance of proving himself on KO returns (we'll have to see on P returns). In preseason, he actually had 4 out of his 5 KO returns go for greater than 20 yds (ave on those 5 being 24 yds). The STs blocking in preseason was even more of a mess than it has been in regular season. The offseason camps and TC/ preseason should go a long way to Holliday's development.
Old 12-24-2010   #57
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 270 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

Neil Rackers is the only bright spot on ST this year
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo-x View Post
Neil Rackers is the only bright spot on ST this year
Indeed, he has been pretty consistent. But if you've noticed, Kubiak has usually not trotted him out there for greater than 50 yd attempts........something that has proven to be somewhat limiting in options in potentially important situations.
Old 12-25-2010   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Indeed, he has been pretty consistent. But if you've noticed, Kubiak has usually not trotted him out there for greater than 50 yd attempts........something that has proven to be somewhat limiting in options in potentially important situations.
Yep...

Definitely has limited us a bit...

And if I'm not mistaken he missed a long one recently by coming up just short...
Old 10-10-2012   #60
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I know everyone wants to pinpoint our return woes on Slaton... but did you know Jacoby is only doing two yards per return better than Steve? They are both towards the bottom in the league. This leads me to believe it's more on the blocking than the return man.

According to this site's formula, we have the 6th worst special teams in the league. Our only positive portion of special teams has been field goal kicking.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

This is from 2010...

I think it's safe to say Coach Marciano is no longer an effective special teams coach in the NFL.

Sub Par performance going on 3 years now...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read