Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2010   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Special teams/Joe Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Jacoby is doing this thing where he catches the ball and seems to pause for a second or two before taking off. I've noticed it the last couple of games and it's costing him in the return game. He's not getting past the first wave very often doing that. Personally I think he doesn't want to do it and this is his way of telling the coaches he's a full time receiver and this return crap is no longer his cup of tea.
lol...

I hope that's not what he'd doing....

It looks like if Trindon could have stayed healthy and hung onto the ball he would have been more valuable than we thought...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
yeah, what happened to our kickers? turk hasnt hit a solid ball in weeks and if rackers' kickoffs get much lower somebody in the front wedge is going to start fielding them.
During the jets game the announcers said that Turk was injured...
Old 11-22-2010   #23
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Alex Henery, Nebraska, fixes all our kicking game issues.
Old 11-22-2010   #24
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

Would Rackers punt if Turk was out?
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #25
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its Kris Brown's fault.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #26
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Jacoby is doing this thing where he catches the ball and seems to pause for a second or two before taking off. I've noticed it the last couple of games and it's costing him in the return game. He's not getting past the first wave very often doing that. Personally I think he doesn't want to do it and this is his way of telling the coaches he's a full time receiver and this return crap is no longer his cup of tea.
I commented on that to my buddy yesterday too. It seemed like forever before he started, and had to cost himself at least 5-7 yards on the return.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Is Marciano as good as people thought he was???

Honest question because I don't know...When I started this thread about two months ago, that is what I really wanted to know. That is why I specifically put his name in the title.

I've seen him looking lost quite a few times on the sideline when guys were not on the field and were supposed to be out there. I mean, that's his baby...That's pretty much the only thing he has to do...And yet we have looked abysmal this season.

Has he benefited from having good returners in the past, or is he struggling to adjust to the new wedge rules...

I can't really blame him for those missed tackles on that TD return...And we don't generally allow long returns like that, so he is doing something right.
Old 12-14-2010   #28
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

If he was good, it doesn't look like it in 2010. Steve Slaton has evolved from a fast guy into a dumb guy. Our kickoff returns absolutely stink this year...I've never seen anybody make stupid mistakes or run directly into the pile like the 2010 version of Slaton.

Top that with the Jacoby Jones Patented Open Space Fair Catch that occurs at least once every game and I'm inclined to believe that scheme is involved.

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope Marciano's just as gone as Kubiak at the end of the year. Last night they (special teams) were a big part of the difference in points and field position but it's more than just last night.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile View Post
If he was good, it doesn't look like it in 2010. Steve Slaton has evolved from a fast guy into a dumb guy. Our kickoff returns absolutely stink this year...I've never seen anybody make stupid mistakes or run directly into the pile like the 2010 version of Slaton.

Top that with the Jacoby Jones Patented Open Space Fair Catch that occurs at least once every game and I'm inclined to believe that scheme is involved.

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope Marciano's just as gone as Kubiak at the end of the year. Last night they (special teams) were a big part of the difference in points and field position but it's more than just last night.
Just thinking out loud here...

Who do you think made the decision to stick Slaton back there to return kickoffs?

My bet is that Kubiak MANDATED to marciano that Slaton would be returning kicks. Why? Because Kubiak is loyal-to-a-fault like that. He feels bad that Slaton lost his RB job to Foster and Ward, so this is how he makes it up to him.

I think Kubiak has poisoned everything over the past five years. Like a drop of arsenic every day, never noticing the effects until the day the level of arsenic is too strong for the body to handle.

I love Joe Joe Marciano. I really do. Maybe he's being affected by the structure around him. Or maybe he's just losing his touch.

But the ST has been fairly weak this year.
Old 12-14-2010   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Who do you think made the decision to stick Slaton back there to return kickoffs?

My bet is that Kubiak MANDATED to marciano that Slaton would be returning kicks. Why? Because Kubiak is loyal-to-a-fault like that. He feels bad that Slaton lost his RB job to Foster and Ward, so this is how he makes it up to him.

I think Kubiak has poisoned everything over the past five years. Like a drop of arsenic every day, never noticing the effects until the day the level of arsenic is too strong for the body to handle.

I love Joe Joe Marciano. I really do. Maybe he's being affected by the structure around him. Or maybe he's just losing his touch.

You are probably somewhat right...

I don't know if he held a strict position regarding who would be returning kicks, but he and Marciano probably collaborated on who'd be doing the returning...

I think that if Marciano could have had it his way he'd have atleast rotated different return guys in just to see who could do it the best.
Old 12-14-2010   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I would not be upset if Marciano is gone. But I am not sure if he is as bad a coach as his unit reflects this year.

Maybe we have just been spoiled by having such great return men in this franchises history and this one down year is just an anomaly???
Old 12-14-2010   #32
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

You really hate Kubiak.

It's easier to throw all the blame on one person and villify them than to hold everyone accountable. The players are at fault, the coaches are at fault, and h*ll yes, Kubiak is at fault. But I doubt that Kubiak rules Middle Earth with an iron fist.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #33
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

How can Texans ST improve over the next two games?

I would like to see ST or Defense score at least once .....
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #34
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Joe Marciano told a story on 610 last year that makes me think Kubiak
handcuffs his ability to be as aggressive on his special teams design
than a lot of coaches are. Titans, Jags, the old guy on the
Jets ALL have head coaches that allow them to attack a team
with their special teams game. Kubiak is all about limiting mistakes,
and by extension, limiting aggression.
Old 12-20-2010   #35
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Joe Marciano told a story on 610 last year that makes me think Kubiak
handcuffs his ability to be as aggressive on his special teams design
than a lot of coaches are. Titans, Jags, the old guy on the
Jets ALL have head coaches that allow them to attack a team
with their special teams game. Kubiak is all about limiting mistakes,
and by extension, limiting aggression.
He went for a pass inside their own 10 yard line on third down during overtime. That was pretty aggressive if you ask me.

Look how that turned out.
Old 12-20-2010   #36
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
He went for a pass inside their own 10 yard line on third down during overtime. That was pretty aggressive if you ask me.

Look how that turned out.
I was talking about how Kubiak limits Maricano's ability to be aggressive
with special teams.
Old 12-20-2010   #37
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
I was talking about how Kubiak limits Maricano's ability to be aggressive
with special teams.
Oh you're right. Slaton not being able to get across the 20 is Kubiak's fault.
Old 12-20-2010   #38
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That just may be. There is no use of misdirection, gadgets, or
any other creativity this season from the Texans' special teams
unit. I just watched the Jags score on a Fake Fair Catch against
the Colts yesterday, for instance.
Old 12-20-2010   #39
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there is a lot more to special teams than just kick off returns.
Old 12-20-2010   #40
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
there is a lot more to special teams than just kick off returns.
But that's the post he quoted; someone complaining about Slaton sucking as a kick returner.

Quote:
That just may be. There is no use of misdirection, gadgets, or
any other creativity this season from the Texans' special teams
unit. I just watched the Jags score on a Fake Fair Catch against
the Colts yesterday, for instance.
Dex, you're right, there are some things we should do, but if you're arguing Slaton isn't a terrible returner, it's all on Kubiak, we're just not on the same page.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read