Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2004   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

You're right Lucky, RTs go up against some talented people to, but unlike the
LTs they've usually have a TE on their outside to help them out.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #22
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
8 LT's that are listed as starters going into this season who were drafted in 2002 & 2003.
That is a pretty good list if you ask me, but you need to add a couple more.

Langston Walker - Raiders Played LT in college and with the Raiders. Moved to RT with the addition of Gallery. i remember him being high on several draft boards.

George Foster - Denver - Although starting at RT now, can play LT.

No reason we couldn't have swung a deal for any of those guys you've listed in the previous draft, considering all we gave up for Babin. Heck, if we did that then maybe we wouldn't have seen the likes of Wells, Weary, or Hill. But there are way too many cominations or scenarios to go into being that I have the benefit of hindsight. It was far from a single path that we could have taken, especially with all the draft picks we had, money available, and free agency.

You say that we would have never had Carr and/or Johnson if we had gone another route. Ok, sure. But then you are saying that guys like Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Losman, Ben Roethlisberger, Joey Harrington, Ramsey, McCown, Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie, Javon Walker, Anquan Boldin, Tyron Calico, Clayton, Michael, Jenkins, Michael, Woods, Rashaun or any of the other guys not selected by the Texans would not have contributed to the success of our team in the future. I like Carr and Johnson, but to say that they are a class above the rest has a bit of 'homerism' in it. If we had Carr/Boldin, that would be great. If we had Leftwich/Ramsey/Boller/Johnson, I've be fine with that. We could have traded up many times in previous drafts just like we did this year. And don't get me started on the infinite number of trade/Free Agent possibilities.
Old 07-26-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Langston Walker was the 53rd pick in the 2002 draft. We took Pitts over him at 50. We could have had him if he wanted him. George Foster was inactive in every game last year except for one or two if I remember correctly. Wand saw the field more than he did.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #24
SESupergenius

WE could have had almost anybody with the #1's and the #3 picks and a slew of draft choices throught our existance.
Old 07-26-2004   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
You're right Lucky, RTs go up against some talented people to, but unlike the
LTs they've usually have a TE on their outside to help them out.
That's correct, TE's do lineup on the right side for many teams. But as V alluded to earlier in the thread, Wade’s acquisition should allow the Texans to move the TE to the left side to provide help to the young LT on the edge. Training camp's coming, we'll see if that holds true.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #26
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

i think you guys are looking at this in hindsight. when the decission was made it was not a foretold conclusion that boselli would never play again.

when the texans made their decission they potentialy were in a position to gain:

walker------probowler
payne------solid nt to go with the system capers wanted and the talent to be much better then solid...
and
boselli------one of the best lts of this era. injured? yes. but worth the gamble? i think so.

if the boselli situation works out this is perhaps one of the best coups a gm could pull off considering the circumstances.

it didnt workout. but no one knew 100% that was going to be the case when the under the table deal was made.

when you consider how we did profit vs what we could of got...i think its a pretty easy decision.

as for wade? pricey contract? yes. but #1 he adds stability to the line. and #2 he adds the beef on the right side to prompt an unstoppable running attack in short yardage situations.

weigart,wade,breuner.
3rd and short?
bank.

wades contract will be far more bearable when we see what a diffrence he makes in the running attack. that is the signature of a capers offense. the texans got what they wanted even if they didnt get what you and i might of wanted. 2 years from now no one will think twice about his contract.
Old 07-26-2004   #27
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
I want you to find a GM that hasn't made a few personnel blunders though.

good luck my friend The Texans are too young to have made many blunders. This is a key year to grade the Texans progress. Everyone needs to keep in mind there are NFL teams that havent made an impact in the playoffs in decades. Anyone remember the Oilers ? Yet at the end of this yr. 3 If the Texans dont win 7 or more games there will be calls for everyones head. Then ( as with Bud Adams ) the owner will get a bad rep for not sticking with his coaches and building a foundation If he makes any big personel moves. Casserly is criticized if he steps up and pays money for a quality free agent but will get hammered if he goes on the cheap. So far Casserly gets an A in my book. And hopefully McNair has a cool logical head.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #28
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
good luck my friend The Texans are too young to have made many blunders. This is a key year to grade the Texans progress. Everyone needs to keep in mind there are NFL teams that havent made an impact in the playoffs in decades. Anyone remember the Oilers ? Yet at the end of this yr. 3 If the Texans dont win 7 or more games there will be calls for everyones head. Then ( as with Bud Adams ) the owner will get a bad rep for not sticking with his coaches and building a foundation If he makes any big personel moves. Casserly is criticized if he steps up and pays money for a quality free agent but will get hammered if he goes on the cheap. So far Casserly gets an A in my book. And hopefully McNair has a cool logical head.
I could not be more satisfied with the progress of the team to this point. Great things are ahead.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read