Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-12-2010   #41
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Will Muschamp Out To Coach Florida

Looks like randy shannon is the DC.
Old 12-12-2010   #42
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Looks like randy shannon is the DC.
conjecture or report?
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #43
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
conjecture or report?
report but its sketchy at this point...so i'll hold off for now..
Old 12-12-2010   #44
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
report but its sketchy at this point...so i'll hold off for now..
Hmm. This could be a very interesting development. What do you think of Randy Shannon as a DC for Texas? Good move? Knee jerk move?
Old 12-12-2010   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmm. This could be a very interesting development. What do you think of Randy Shannon as a DC for Texas? Good move? Knee jerk move?
Great move

Not much of a drop off from Muschamp to Shannon.

I'm glad that the hot bed of Fla recruiting is now open to UT.

Shannon is a great recruiter. I could see many UM players/recruits transfering to UT.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #46
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

great move
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #47
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont really know much about Randy. I think the big splash will be with the OC.

During Shannon's six years as UM's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked as follows in total defense nationally:
2001 - 6th
2002 - 7th
2003 - 2nd
2004 - 28th
2005 - 4th
2006 - 7th

Edit: Consensus seems to be that he is one hell of a DC, but not HC material.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #48
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
UPDATE

Recruitocosm 2:51pm via TweetDeck
We've been told that a number of recruits have been informed that Randy Shannon will be named the next defensive coordinator at Texas.
Old 12-12-2010   #49
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

OH NO!.....what will the poor Longhons do, they're finished LOL.
Old 12-12-2010   #50
Doppelganger
None

I want the announcement to come today so that Shannon can get on the phone tomorrow morning to keep our recruits/potentially bring some in from Miami.
Old 12-12-2010   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I want the announcement to come today so that Shannon can get on the phone tomorrow morning to keep our recruits/potentially bring some in from Miami.
This would be the perfect result.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bad news for sure, but not necessarily devastating. If Mack can bring in two big names and let them run their respective units, you may see a very fast turnaround. I like Mack's ability to recruit. If he can give the new OC the same latitude he gave Davis and Brown can bring in a high caliber coach, I will be very excited.
No doubt. They'll probably hire some great coaches, but Muschamp is a guy that I'm huge fan of and I was looking very forward to him being the next HC here. He's my kind of coach and he's going to keep Florida at the top for a very long time. Losing Muschamp for the long haul is a big blow to me as a fan. He was the best and hardest working recruiter on the Texas staff as well along with Applewhite.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #53
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
No doubt. They'll probably hire some great coaches, but Muschamp is a guy that I'm huge fan of and I was looking very forward to him being the next HC here. He's my kind of coach and he's going to keep Florida at the top for a very long time. Losing Muschamp for the long haul is a big blow to me as a fan. He was the best and hardest working recruiter on the Texas staff as well along with Applewhite.
What do you think of the reports circling that Randy Shannon will step into the DC role?
Old 12-12-2010   #54
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do you think of the reports circling that Randy Shannon will step into the DC role?
Supposedly true. He is a good friend of Mack Brown's and was Texas' first choice for DC back in 07. But he took the Miami job and Texas took Muschamp.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #55
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a good hire, but he's no Muschamp if you ask me. I'm more worried about the fact that this will probably keep Mack Brown around longer now which is always a liability to the Longhorns with that guy running your team. I was hoping that the only reason why Muschamp had stuck around as long as he did was because he had a clear time table as to when Mack was going to retire behind closed doors. Muschamp is going to be one of those next top dogs in college football like Saban, Stoops, and Meyer became. The guy is a hard working recruiter and brings intensity to the entire team. Regardless of who we get as assistants right now, we'll be stuck with Mack Brown longer most likely and who knows who will be the next HC after that. I'd prefer a guy like Leach if he could ever make defense a priority.
Old 12-12-2010   #56
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
I do not recall the "head coach in waiting" angle being tried by any team before the Texas Longhorns. It was a nice superficial effort, but clearly the results are in and this sort of posturing is as lacking in substance as many initially feared that it would be.

In any case, Will Muschamp was a stellar defensive coordinator for the Texans Longhorns who is certainly worthy of being considered as one of the premier head coaching candidates in the NCAA. This is a great opportunity for him and his family that is well deserved. I wish him the best.

I just hope that Mack Brown can replace both Will Muschamp and Offensive Coordinator Greg Davis with someone who is comparable in quality with Will Mushcamp, who unlike Greg Davis was truly exceptional with regards to his overall accomplishments at the University of Texas.

Good luck, Will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Didn't Florida State do the head coach in waiting bit?
Quote:
Florida State had one in Jimbo Fisher. In 2007 Fisher became the CIW to Bobby Bowden. Bowden retired last December. So, this was Fisher's first full year as coach. So, Fisher was CIW for 2 years.

That said, I would like to see Boise State OC Bryan Harsin come in as the new OC (#2 scoring offense in the country) and for Mack to go out and hire TCU DC Dick Bumpas to be the DC (#1 in points in points surrendered on Defense).
Doppelganger is correct. Jimbo Fisher was named "Head Coach in Waiting", long before Muschamp ever was.
Old 12-12-2010   #57
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Associated Press is reporting it too.

Rough season for longhorn fans. I feel their domination in the Big 12 is over. A&M coming on strong, shift in the powers.
Eh...A&M is kind of a Houston team so it wont every shift entirely. Plus Kubiak went there.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #58
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 159304 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Eh...A&M is kind of a Houston team so it wont every shift entirely. Plus Kubiak went there.
As a Cougar fan I disagree, if not resent that. I would bet A&M folks feel the same way, good times.

I also am beginning to wonder about Florida. Muschamp isn't what I see as HC material at a bigtime program.

Just an opinion Texas, not hating on you. (Stupid I feel I need to say that)
Old 12-13-2010   #59
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It's a good hire, but he's no Muschamp if you ask me. I'm more worried about the fact that this will probably keep Mack Brown around longer now which is always a liability to the Longhorns with that guy running your team. I was hoping that the only reason why Muschamp had stuck around as long as he did was because he had a clear time table as to when Mack was going to retire behind closed doors. Muschamp is going to be one of those next top dogs in college football like Saban, Stoops, and Meyer became. The guy is a hard working recruiter and brings intensity to the entire team. Regardless of who we get as assistants right now, we'll be stuck with Mack Brown longer most likely and who knows who will be the next HC after that. I'd prefer a guy like Leach if he could ever make defense a priority.
LOL and what is wrong with Mack Brown?

Name the amount of coaches in college football who have won more games than Mack Brown during his time at Texas....that guy is anything but a liability. Mack Brown can remain the head coach as long as he wants to.

Also, when did Will Muschamp become irreplaceable? His defense was nothing special this season, he basically only had one good year at Texas. I'm actually more excited about Randy Shannon who is just as good of a recruiter as Will Muschamp is.
Old 12-13-2010   #60
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LOL and what is wrong with Mack Brown?
Come on CB. You're a guy that I would expect not to be fooled by a guy like Mack Brown. One of the dumbest game day coaches I've ever witnessed in my history of watching football. Worse than Kubes actually. The guy is a great recruiter, but has been more loyal to GD and certain players than to his own team's success. I could go back years and years to provide examples. Mack was out of a job until VY saved it when he arrived and everyone knows that. Before VY got there, he was known as the most under achieving coach in the NCAA. The Sooner fans still love the guy. Mack's padded his record off of playing teams with waaaaay less talent than what he's got to work with. Texas has been way ahead of every team other than Oklahoma as far as talent goes and the Big 12 has't been anything to be afraid of other than that one season two years ago. Remember when Mack Brown was known as the guy who couldn't ever win the big one?? VY's heroics changed that persona. Mack is the typical HC that does less with more instead of more with less.

Quote:
Name the amount of coaches in college football who have won more games than Mack Brown during his time at Texas....that guy is anything but a liability. Mack Brown can remain the head coach as long as he wants
And without a great DC like a Muschamp who can provide a ton of grit to this team and intensity that Mack and Davis never could bring to the players or a dynamic player like a VY to put the team on his back, Texas will most likely never win a NC again until Mack retires and a better HC comes in.

Quote:
Also, when did Will Muschamp become irreplaceable? His defense was nothing special this season, he basically only had one good year at Texas. I'm actually more excited about Randy Shannon who is just as good of a recruiter as Will Muschamp is.
His defense didn't do as well because the offense could never keep them off the field and sustain drives. They also put the defense in horrible position all of the time to the point that it demoralized them by the end of the season. Hard to stay as a top tier unit when your offense is so bad and your HC refuses to even see what the other QB's can do. Muschamp is a fantastic DC doesn't pamper his players like he's their grandpa like Mack Brown does.

As much as I can't stand GD, Mack was a large part of the reason that GD's offense was as bad as it was. He constantly medaled with it and wanted to change an entire scheme without the personal to do it with.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read