Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2005   #81
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
bottom line is that we did not have enough depth at RB and FB to let Hollings go.
RB: dom davis, morency, wells

FB: norris, wells

what more depth do you HONESTLY need? if dom davis goes down (i hope he doesnt, but its a real possibility) we have morency then wells. our base offense is usually 3 wr, 1 te, and 1 rb. the fullback is not a huge position to where we need a plethora of guys for depth. norris is the main guy, wells is there to add another dimension when he is in.

IMO we have plenty of depth if we were going to release him. vinny believes it is his special teams that keeps him here while others think it is political. we are never going to know
Old 09-03-2005   #82
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Keep in mind that Simmons has the ability to play CB if needed, and he does a decent job at it.
i think simmons is one of the more versatile guys in our defensive backfield. he can come in a SS, FS, CB, and special teams.

anyone forgeting the hit he put on chris brown when we played the titans?
Old 09-03-2005   #83
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
anyone forgeting the hit he put on chris brown when we played the titans?
I think Chris Brown might have a hard time remembering that hit. "Who dat? Who there?"
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #84
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
RB: dom davis, morency, wells

FB: norris, wells

what more depth do you HONESTLY need?

Well lets see.

Davis has gone down for at least one game every year. SO if Davis was to go down.. Lets say Morency goes in. Ok so Morency is in.. and lets say something happens to Norris and Wells has to start at FB.

We now have NO DEPTH at FB or RB. If either of these guys go down we have NO ONE to replace them. With just TWO injuries you are out of depth.

Thats why Hollings needed to stay. Well..thats not why Hollings needed to stay..but thats why we needed a 4th RB on the roster. Personally I would have preffered we let him go and got someone else off the waiver wire.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #85
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

i wasn't that impressed with swinton, seems to me he made some bad decisions when trying to field returns, including a fumble in the dallas game. Also, with a o-line that can't give the Q-back much time, how is he expected to connect with his WR anyway?
Old 09-03-2005   #86
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well lets see.

Davis has gone down for at least one game every year. SO if Davis was to go down.. Lets say Morency goes in. Ok so Morency is in.. and lets say something happens to Norris and Wells has to start at FB.

We now have NO DEPTH at FB or RB. If either of these guys go down we have NO ONE to replace them. With just TWO injuries you are out of depth.

Thats why Hollings needed to stay. Well..thats not why Hollings needed to stay..but thats why we needed a 4th RB on the roster. Personally I would have preffered we let him go and got someone else off the waiver wire.

Quinton Griffin would be a good candidate for that , Yeah I know he's a Sooner but he would sure as hell be an upgrade over Hollings http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395972
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #87
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well lets see.

interesting scenario, but not a likely one. like i said, norris is a FB that we likely wont use down after down. but im not saying its impossible for him to get hurt.

but in the bucs game did you see murphy moving around? seems like he could be more of an hback for us than just a TE.

your point is valid and im sure i would COMPLETELY agree with you if it were someone besides hollings.
Old 09-04-2005   #88
Meisterman
Veteran

Hollings is a BUST...they would be better off cutting this 4th string running back and keeping Sloan Thomas just to send a message that working your Butt off in pre season matters.

And speaking of BUSTS "and always injured"...Instead of Joppru ..the Texans could of drafted Jason Witten (Dallas stud TE). Oh wait...Charlie's A Genius!

Finally...Corey Bradford must have pictures of a coaches wife. "Hands of Stone" has mouthed off alot this pre-season and done NOTHING!

No wonder the team plays flat...I'm inspired.

<end of rant>
Meisterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #89
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And speaking of BUSTS "and always injured"...Instead of Joppru ..the Texans could of drafted Jason Witten (Dallas stud TE). Oh wait...Charlie's A Genius!
Im sure we could all make a superbowl team if we went back and saw what draft picks we COULD have taken at each spot.

Matter of fact.. every team in the NFL would be better off if they could go back in time and change their draft picks to make sure they took the best player available in every round.

Casserly has done a great job so far. We have some of the best young players in the NFL.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #90
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

My thing is this. Capers said he was looking for guys who still had fight in them when the game is out of reach. Thomas showed that, Hollings didn't. He was also looking for someone who could contribute on ST and offensively. Swinton did that and Hollings didn't. You wanna keep Bradford because of past experience and already developed chemistry with the QB (although this wasn't shown in the preseason) fine. But Hollings hasn't shown fight, hasn't done nothing on ST or the offense. And you really can't say anything about Hollings hasn't proven himself yet. He has been given plenty of opportunity but he has only responded with an injury or poor play. I would rather have a guy that returned kicks only, then risk injury to a starter on defense and risk injury to a key player off the bench offensively.

I also am sick and tired of Joppru on this team. 3 years, 3 injuries. Let him go and let's go on. I realize this guy may still have some upside but he isn't helping us put the best players on the field for us at this time. I am looking for the logic in keeping him.

I just see us not having any clue as to what we do with this team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #91
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing about Joppru (I think) is that he's not getting paid much anyway (salary cap) and there's absolutely no FA's to replace him with anyway. Add to that the dream that he might get healthy some day and play well and they might as well keep him in PUP. I know it's really really frustrating, but I don't think cutting him would help in any way.

I totally agree with you about Hollings and Bradford and about keeping Sloan Thomas.
HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #92
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheroqui
??? Are you #$%^ kidding me? We should have one more WR and one more CB than we do right now. You leave a one man cover in certain slots but have 3 centers and four HB's? Oh come oooooooooon! We couldn't drop Drew Hogdon, Brandon Evans or Tony Hollings, possibly Corey Bradford to keep Sloan and a cornerback? I don't understand why you would let a SS or FS fill a CB spot. C.C. Brown might be able to pull it but man listen... I hope this works out man cause I'm feeling sick right now.
It's a mistake that Brandon Evans is still listed on the depth chart. He's on the cut list and was removed from the roster. But I agree, there are too many o-lineman on the roster. One of those spots could have gone Sloan. I feel like I'm a little biased because he's a Longhorn, but he made great plays and showed what heart and fire (and skill) he has during this preseason.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #93
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue
I'm confused as all of you about Sloan, but I'm pumped to see Shantee Orr make the team. He's got good size and a good motor and he was able to pressure the QB off the practice squad last year. If Peek goes down between Orr and Anderson I don't think there will be much of a drop off. Go Blue!!
He's been my favorite backup since the 2003 season when so many starters were hurt. Shantee was the guy I got excited about when I saw him run on the field during the drive - because I knew he'd be gunning for the quarterback. And we've had so little of that (QB pressure/sacks) during the first 3 seasons.

I'm very glad to see that he's still a Texan.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #94
Cheroqui
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Why is no one talking about Lewis Sanders? This guy has been toasted the entire preseason.
Oh yeah him too

Last edited by Cheroqui; 09-04-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Cheroqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #95
Cheroqui
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Keep in mind that Simmons has the ability to play CB if needed, and he does a decent job at it.
Yeah I agree with you on that. I couldn't cover or evaluate everyone but yeah I know Simmons gets it done. I just meant that if you look at the depth chart some of the slots look crazy. Having Chester Pitts or J. Babin with no one behind them, but 3 centers, and then 4 RB's immidiately puts you on that "We could have room for him mode". Yes people can ba shifted, I know you can just as easily slide people around. One from the left, goes to the right side of the formation, etc. but you know most people around here wanted or wants someone one to stay or be brought in to fill a "void".

Last edited by Cheroqui; 09-04-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Cheroqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #96
Cheroqui
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
One of those spots could have gone Sloan, he made great plays and showed what heart and fire (and skill) he has during this preseason.
Maybe it's a cut and re-hire type of deal. No?
Old 09-04-2005   #97
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly FORCING Capers to keep him? THAT is not how a team works. The cuts are not cleared through Charley. Capers team makes those calls. Cass makes the final draft calls. Now it is probably true he is on the team because of burning a 2 on him, but that is likely because Capers pushed for him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #98
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
My thing is this. Capers said he was looking for guys who still had fight in them when the game is out of reach. Thomas showed that, Hollings didn't. He was also looking for someone who could contribute on ST and offensively. Swinton did that and Hollings didn't...
That's an excellent point. Shows how little stock the Texans put into the results of these exhibition games. I think the roster decisions were made well before the Buc game. John McClain had indicated prior to the game that Sloan Thomas wasn't going to make it.
Old 09-04-2005   #99
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
Well lets see.

There is always Robaire Smith in this dooms day scenario.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #100
William.carter
Veteran

Keeping Hollings is uselessin opinion. Matt Murphey was adequate at full back in TC. They ahve options to fill gaps in depth. There must be other reasons for keeping Hollings. I think they believe they can pull off some sort of trade for a draft pick for him and didn't want to release him where he could be picked up for free. If that is what they thing, I think they are highly delusional considering Quinten Griffen was relase by Denver. If they are smart, they will go after Griffen and dump Hollings on his ***.

I'm crossingmy fingers that Sloan clears waivers and we resign him to the practice squad until there is room to elevate him to the active roster.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read