Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2010   #41
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team Cowher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Haven't there been reports about Cowher wanting to stay in Carolina and coaching the Panthers?
Yeah, but that was when his wife was still living. Since her death, Cowher has no ties to Carolina, has his daughters are off to college now, as well. I think going back to coaching can help Cowher.

I'd love to see Cowher as the HC, Wade as the DC, and maybe Whisenhunt as the OC if he gets fired this year.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #42
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah, but that was when his wife was still living. Since her death, Cowher has no ties to Carolina, has his daughters are off to college now, as well. I think going back to coaching can help Cowher.

I'd love to see Cowher as the HC, Wade as the DC, and maybe Whisenhunt as the OC if he gets fired this year.
I think keeping his gig as an analyist has helped him. It has given him structure and a distraction he surely needs. Coaching is another matter altogether. It's a major grind.

As I said, this will hinge on whether he's ready to coach again. You don't get over something like what he's been through overnight.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #43
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You know I'm starting to really think that this whole stigma of Cowher wanting to be in Carolina so bad is more of a myth than this unwritten part of the future like everyone seems to think. The Texans are a much more attractive situation than Carolina is right now if this job were to open up. Cowher almost took a job in Buffalo last off season for crying out loud. He'll come here if he's being paid handsomely and if he feels that Mcnair will be committed to winning. The question is whether or not Bob Mcnair will put his salesman face on and take the necessary measures to lure him in here and convince Cowher that he wants him to build a dynasty for him in this city.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #44
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get a good personnel guy to team up with Cowher sure, but I don't really want another coach to come in and try out hand picking his players.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #45
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
If we get a good personnel guy to team up with Cowher sure, but I don't really want another coach to come in and try out hand picking his players.
Really? Last year, Casey Hampton said he would sign with Houston if Cowher became the head coach. He sure could have helped us this year.
Old 11-17-2010   #46
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm a little hesitant about Wade, though I know he is a good coordinator. But with the things Wisenhunt has done for Fitzgerald to get him open and able to make plays...think what the guy could do for AJ.

One question, though: what is his offensive philosophy? I personally really enjoy WC offenses, though it really wouldn't matter if the offense works...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #47
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? Last year, Casey Hampton said he would sign with Houston if Cowher became the head coach. He sure could have helped us this year.
If he can bring over some guys from Pittsburgh fine, but I'm talking about running the draft.
Old 11-17-2010   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You know I'm starting to really think that this whole stigma of Cowher wanting to be in Carolina so bad is more of a myth than this unwritten part of the future like everyone seems to think. The Texans are a much more attractive situation than Carolina is right now if this job were to open up. Cowher almost took a job in Buffalo last off season for crying out loud. He'll come here if he's being paid handsomely and if he feels that Mcnair will be committed to winning. The question is whether or not Bob Mcnair will put his salesman face on and take the necessary measures to lure him in here and convince Cowher that he wants him to build a dynasty for him in this city.
The only advantage I can see, of how Bob McNair sticks with a head coach to the very bitter end of the head coach's tenure here, is that it would make someone like BILL COWHER feel more at ease about taking the job.

Bill is not going to want to work for an owner who might pull the plug after a bad season or two.

McNair's greatest fault might be his best asset with trying to sell a guy like Cowher on being the next head coach.

If Kubiak assembled the offense and its weapons to the point that a defensive-minded coach, such as Cowher, could come in and basically capitalize off of Kubiak's labors for the past five years...then Kubiak will have served a wonderful purpose here: Setting up the NEXTguy to bring home the title for us.

Because let's face it...that's what we're in this thing for: A championship. And hopefully, a legacy afterward.

Cowher has been there. Done that. If he tells the players to do something a certain way, they won't be second-guessing him. He has a track record. You don't win titles and make the playoffs in the NFL as many times as Cowher has just because you stumbled into it. The coach knows what he's doing.

Our current coach doesn't. Great builder of an offense. Bad head coach.
Old 11-17-2010   #49
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The only advantage I can see, of how Bob McNair sticks with a head coach to the very bitter end of the head coach's tenure here, is that it would make someone like BILL COWHER feel more at ease about taking the job.

Bill is not going to want to work for an owner who might pull the plug after a bad season or two.

McNair's greatest fault might be his best asset with trying to sell a guy like Cowher on being the next head coach.

If Kubiak assembled the offense and its weapons to the point that a defensive-minded coach, such as Cowher, could come in and basically capitalize off of Kubiak's labors for the past five years...then Kubiak will have served a wonderful purpose here: Setting up the NEXTguy to bring home the title for us.

Because let's face it...that's what we're in this thing for: A championship. And hopefully, a legacy afterward.

Cowher has been there. Done that. If he tells the players to do something a certain way, they won't be second-guessing him. He has a track record. You don't win titles and make the playoffs in the NFL as many times as Cowher has just because you stumbled into it. The coach knows what he's doing.

Our current coach doesn't. Great builder of an offense. Bad head coach.

Amen. That's what I've been saying.

We are going to become a team like the Bucs: Coach B wins a Super Bowl with Coach A's players.

After we win it all, we will spend YEARS discussing how Coach B isn't that great of a coach because he won with Kubiak's players.

Either way, I'll take it.
Old 11-17-2010   #50
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Amen. That's what I've been saying.

We are going to become a team like the Bucs: Coach B wins a Super Bowl with Coach A's players.

After we win it all, we will spend YEARS discussing how Coach B isn't that great of a coach because he won with Kubiak's players.

You'd never hear me say that. This wouldn't be some situation like what happened with the Bucs when Gruden came in there. I'd never credit Kubiak if another HC came in here and won a SB for the simple fact that Kubes never could even make the post season in 5 seasons. Kubiak may have built a nice offense up, but hell this offense wasn't even good until his 3rd season and until this year the Texans have had all sorts of RZ problems in this offense. We've never had a good defense under Kubiak either. If another HC came in here and immediately does a lot, I'm not going to credit a guy that sat around here for 5 years trying to build something that he never went anywhere with. He just needs to go. This team needs a new HC and a new GM.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010   #51
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
If he can bring over some guys from Pittsburgh fine, but I'm talking about running the draft.
The Steelers built through the draft. Go look at Cowher's history and where he got his best players.
Old 11-18-2010   #52
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Quote:
The Steelers built through the draft. Go look at Cowher's history and where he got his best players.
True the Steelers build through the draft, heck they're still drafting well without Cowher around, which to me speaks more about their personnel people. If he can bring somebody over from there to team up with, then I'm all for him, but I'm not so sure about giving him 100% control over personnel, which he's been rumored to want if he becomes a HC again.
Old 11-18-2010   #53
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
True the Steelers build through the draft, heck they're still drafting well without Cowher around, which to me speaks more about their personnel people. If he can bring somebody over from there to team up with, then I'm all for him, but I'm not so sure about giving him 100% control over personnel, which he's been rumored to want if he becomes a HC again.
I'd give him 100% control, especially if he can bring some Steeler personnel over. His track record speaks for itself.
Old 11-18-2010   #54
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd give him 100% control, especially if he can bring some Steeler personnel over. His track record speaks for itself.
I've never been a fan of giving any coach 100 percent control. I think you need that good, creative tension between a head coach and general manager to get things done.
Old 11-18-2010   #55
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
I've never been a fan of giving any coach 100 percent control. I think you need that good, creative tension between a head coach and general manager to get things done.
I'm just saying I'd let Cowher bring in a competent GM and they both can go to work for the Texans.
Old 11-18-2010   #56
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm just saying I'd let Cowher bring in a competent GM and they both can go to work for the Texans.
I'm also not a fan of the coach picking the GM. It should be the other way around.
Old 11-18-2010   #57
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
I'm also not a fan of the coach picking the GM. It should be the other way around.
Well I disagree there. I'd let Cowher pick the GM, hopefully someone from the Steelers.
Old 11-18-2010   #58
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the GM here has more sway with McNair than the coach does.

Rick Smith is going to be around for a very very long time.

The key will be, IMO, to get a guy like Cowher who will say "No. You can keep Rick Smith and his role the way it is, but with amendments and alterations based upon what I want as head coach."

I imagine a guy like Cowher would ensure that if he wants to sign a Cedric benson-type player and needs a few extra dollars to get it done...then it's going to get done. If Cowher wants something, he needs to be able to veto any dispute Rick Smith might have.

This would have to be done under extreme discipline and with the understanding that the GM still gets to be a major part of the process--mostly with the actual construction of the contract(s)--but when it comes to identifying and securing a player that The Chin says he wants...I think Cowher has to be assured he can get that player.
Old 11-18-2010   #59
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think the GM here has more sway with McNair than the coach does.

Rick Smith is going to be around for a very very long time.

The key will be, IMO, to get a guy like Cowher who will say "No. You can keep Rick Smith and his role the way it is, but with amendments and alterations based upon what I want as head coach."

I imagine a guy like Cowher would ensure that if he wants to sign a Cedric benson-type player and needs a few extra dollars to get it done...then it's going to get done. If Cowher wants something, he needs to be able to veto any dispute Rick Smith might have.

This would have to be done under extreme discipline and with the understanding that the GM still gets to be a major part of the process--mostly with the actual construction of the contract(s)--but when it comes to identifying and securing a player that The Chin says he wants...I think Cowher has to be assured he can get that player.

Well, but, the thing is, McNair will give Kubiak anything he wants. ANYTHING. I just think Kubiak is too clueless to do anything substantial with it. Why do you think this job is considered a hot job? Because coaches know that if they come here, they have full financial support from McNair. We can get almost any coach we wanted.

I agree about Rick Smith. He ain't going nowhere. I actually like the talent he's been able to find.
Old 11-18-2010   #60
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree about Rick Smith. He ain't going nowhere. I actually like the talent he's been able to find.
Like who? Trindon Holliday? Shelley Smith? Frank Okam? Brandon Harrison? Brandon Frye? Oh forgive me (and Fred Bennett) I'm just picking on all the players that don't have a job in the NFL....well, let's just skip all the picks that are still on the roster but don't play a single down ever EVER EVER especially in the face of epic failure and go right to all the superstars that Rick Smith is responsible for picking.....

uh....

that....guy.....who....is both really popular and good at football......uh....what's his name....

Frankly, nobody seems to discount him for using 2 #1 picks on substance abusers. Here it is. -1 point.

Oh damnit, I still have not named that superstar that he picked, what's his name again?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read