Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2010   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team Cowher

After last night, Jim Haslet might be available for DC.
Old 11-16-2010   #22
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
1.) Why are the Houston Texans different from the other billion and a half team fan bases that think Cowher is coming there?
Cowher has stated interest in us in the past and has said he likes the talent on our team. He's stated Andre is the best player in the NFL and he always talks up Matt. Not too much there for you, but it's more than almost any other team can boast.

Quote:
2.) Would Bob McNair actually pay a lot of money for a coach?
If McNair actually understands where this team is at compared to where it should be, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't. He is a businessman after all, and despite the (unfounded) rumors that he is frugal, I think that he understands there comes a point in time in business when you have to take calculated risks. Mario was one of those risks. I think a high-priced coach with a proven record would be a logical step for him to take for the next HC.

Quote:
3.) I need a brief yet strong description of his mustache.
It is very subtle and delicate, yet very masculine. You may not notice it's striking appearance at first, but once you do you will not be able to look away. His mustache says that he is a man, but he is willing to cut across what is popular and avoid the dreaded goatee. His mustache alone will make his players respect his passion for the game.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #23
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher (or any other coach) saying they have interest in the Texans means nothing. They will say that about any job, because it gives them negotiating leverage. There isn't an available high-profile coach in the NFL that WON'T say "I'd love to have the Texans job." It would be bad business to do otherwise.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #24
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Cowher (or any other coach) saying they have interest in the Texans means nothing. They will say that about any job, because it gives them negotiating leverage. There isn't an available high-profile coach in the NFL that WON'T say "I'd love to have the Texans job." It would be bad business to do otherwise.
So, you've said on your blog that you refuse to talk candidates until the end of the season (which is smart, IMO), yet, at the same time, you slam the idea of Bill Cowher.

Ok, so who do you want? Who are your choices? I think your idea of waiting until after the season to start thinking about the next choice is a wise move. But, you seem to know, already, exactly who do don't want.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything is borken.

The owner is broken.

His minions underneath him who push out the B.S. Hype Machine are broken.

His GM is broken.

The coaches are broken.

And even the players are broken.

Face it: Even if we COULD get Cowher, you guys seriously think that he can overcome all that junk above him and below him?

If he did, he'd be the best coach in the game who has ever coached in the entire history of the NFL. Period.

Because whoever is HC of the Texans is looking at having to completely change the culture that'll surround him once he gets here. Oh, the facility is nice. And the players are as talented as the franchise has ever experienced in its existence in the NFL. But there's a looming, dark cloud of indifference that has permeated the franchise. It sits there like chemical waste residue, and coaches and players continue to wade into it without the proper hazmat gear.

Regardless of how squeaky clean this team tries to portray itself, it's broken. It's the neat, proper suburban family who looks good on the outside but the private lives of the family members are shattered and dysfunctional.

Sorry if that's being a Doug Downer. It's just the truth.
Old 11-16-2010   #26
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Name the other teams where Cowher has said he liked the talent and where it has been rumored that he wants the job. The Texans are the only team that has repeatedly come up with Cowher.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #27
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Cowher would get booed in 2011 after 0-1, losing 20-19 on a last second FG.
Old 11-16-2010   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Name the other teams where Cowher has said he liked the talent and where it has been rumored that he wants the job. The Texans are the only team that has repeatedly come up with Cowher.
1. Can I have a link to where COWHER said he would like to coach here? The only thing I ever recall is from an espn.com beatwriter that said a source told him if an opportunity with the Texans or Bears ever arose that it would "excite" Cowher.

2. In regards to whenever Cowher has said (on air as an analyst) how great Andre Johnson is or how good Matt Schaub was last year... that doesn't mean he wants to coach here. If that were the case, every single analyst on TV would be in the HC discussion talks for our team. AJ is the best, Matt Schaub was great, Arian Foster is incredible, Pollard has incredible ball skills. Okay maybe that last part was exhaggerated.

3. Cowher and the HC gig here in Houston is "the only one that repeatedly comes up" is because we're the only fans desperate enough to run with a quote from a beatwriter from a year ago that has an unnamed source that BC would be "excited" about an opening with us... and another team! On top of that, other teams that have had a link to him have been shot down (I think the Bills?)... while the Texans nor Cowher have said a single thing because our organization/owner hasn't indicated for once that a HC position here might be available anytime in the near future.

4. I'm not a Cowher hater. I really really want Kubiak to succeed here. If for some reason, Mr. Kubes has to go, I would definitely be excited about the opportunity to have Cowher as HC here. I love his passion and fire... and his resume/success. I think he'd have a good ability to hire assistants under him, I think we've got a great base/foundation in place and I think we'd see success. BC would be my #1 choice as a replacement. But I'm not calling for Kubiak to get fired, I want him to succeed first and foremost.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #29
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
1. Can I have a link to where COWHER said he would like to coach here? The only thing I ever recall is from an espn.com beatwriter that said a source told him if an opportunity with the Texans or Bears ever arose that it would "excite" Cowher.

2. In regards to whenever Cowher has said (on air as an analyst) how great Andre Johnson is or how good Matt Schaub was last year... that doesn't mean he wants to coach here. If that were the case, every single analyst on TV would be in the HC discussion talks for our team. AJ is the best, Matt Schaub was great, Arian Foster is incredible, Pollard has incredible ball skills. Okay maybe that last part was exhaggerated.

3. Cowher and the HC gig here in Houston is "the only one that repeatedly comes up" is because we're the only fans desperate enough to run with a quote from a beatwriter from a year ago that has an unnamed source that BC would be "excited" about an opening with us... and another team! On top of that, other teams that have had a link to him have been shot down (I think the Bills?)... while the Texans nor Cowher have said a single thing because our organization/owner hasn't indicated for once that a HC position here might be available anytime in the near future.

4. I'm not a Cowher hater. I really really want Kubiak to succeed here. If for some reason, Mr. Kubes has to go, I would definitely be excited about the opportunity to have Cowher as HC here. I love his passion and fire... and his resume/success. I think he'd have a good ability to hire assistants under him, I think we've got a great base/foundation in place and I think we'd see success. BC would be my #1 choice as a replacement. But I'm not calling for Kubiak to get fired, I want him to succeed first and foremost.

You have got to be kidding me. You are STILL waiting for Kubiak to "get it"?

No offense, but you seem like one of those people that are afraid of success.

We all want Kubak to succeed here. But he's not. It's been been FIVE YEARS.

FIVE.

Look at the NFL this year. There are no dominant teams, and a lot of teams that are in the middle. Guess why? Parity.

Any team in the NFL can break-out and make things happen.

No excuses.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #30
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
So, you've said on your blog that you refuse to talk candidates until the end of the season (which is smart, IMO), yet, at the same time, you slam the idea of Bill Cowher.

Ok, so who do you want? Who are your choices? I think your idea of waiting until after the season to start thinking about the next choice is a wise move. But, you seem to know, already, exactly who do don't want.
I'm sure I'll break eventually and do a candidate entry - don't want to get left in the dust, heh. I just don't see the point because he's not going to get fired anytime soon, and the field of candidates isn't complete. I'm going to take my time deciding who I want, because I don't want just a different coach - I want the RIGHT coach.

Right now - and it's way early - I would consider (no particular order) Coodinators: Leslie Frazier, Sean McDermott, Rob Ryan (Ryan has taken some convincing but others have kind of turned me on to him).

Experienced HC candidates - I like Gruden a lot, but like Jimmie Johnson I think he likes being a celebrity as much or more than he likes being a coach. Cowher would easily top my list if he came with LeBeau. If it's just him AND he wants personnel control, as he's rumored to want - he's on my list, but way down it. I think John Fox is a good coach. He hasn't accomplished much in Carolina, but he hasn't had much talent to work with.

In short - I have NO idea at this point because it's way too early - and I'm not at all convinced that Kubiak will be fired, unless they finish 6-10 or worse, and even then I'm not convinced.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll take Cowher if he can bring Dick LeBeau with him from Pittsburgh. Otherwise - meh. He's gonna be a big money coaching bust without that awesome D.C. he had.
rep..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #32
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Everything is borken.

The owner is broken.

His minions underneath him who push out the B.S. Hype Machine are broken.

His GM is broken.

The coaches are broken.

And even the players are broken.

Face it: Even if we COULD get Cowher, you guys seriously think that he can overcome all that junk above him and below him?

If he did, he'd be the best coach in the game who has ever coached in the entire history of the NFL. Period.

Because whoever is HC of the Texans is looking at having to completely change the culture that'll surround him once he gets here. Oh, the facility is nice. And the players are as talented as the franchise has ever experienced in its existence in the NFL. But there's a looming, dark cloud of indifference that has permeated the franchise. It sits there like chemical waste residue, and coaches and players continue to wade into it without the proper hazmat gear.

Regardless of how squeaky clean this team tries to portray itself, it's broken. It's the neat, proper suburban family who looks good on the outside but the private lives of the family members are shattered and dysfunctional.

Sorry if that's being a Doug Downer. It's just the truth.
And you don't think Cowher, who is one of the best and most respected coaches in NFL history, could change that culture?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #33
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on Bill we need you baby or Tony Dungy either will do.
Old 11-16-2010   #34
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Haven't there been reports about Cowher wanting to stay in Carolina and coaching the Panthers?
Old 11-16-2010   #35
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Come on Bill we need you baby or Tony Dungy either will do.
I don't want ANY coach that butt kisses PM to the point of nausea!! So that leaves out Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden!!

Cowher would be a steel, but, it ain't gonna happen. Personally, IF we get a new HC, which I doubt, it better be an experienced HC with some balls. Just tired of being the training grounds for wanna-be NFL coaches. PLEASE for gawds sake, give us someone who knows what the hell they are doing!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #36
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you're a coach, you're not going to be butt kissing anybody on the other teams.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #37
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
If you're a coach, you're not going to be butt kissing anybody on the other teams.
Every coach in the league butt kisses PM. They THINK he can't be beat, they THINK he's indistructable, they THINK his poop don't stink, they are afraid of the dude, IMHO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #38
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I don't want ANY coach that butt kisses PM to the point of nausea!! So that leaves out Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden!!

Cowher would be a steel, but, it ain't gonna happen. Personally, IF we get a new HC, which I doubt, it better be an experienced HC with some balls. Just tired of being the training grounds for wanna-be NFL coaches. PLEASE for gawds sake, give us someone who knows what the hell they are doing!!
So we will let personal feelings dictate who the next coach will be? I think that is how the Texans have gotten into the mess they are in.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #39
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

I see what you did there......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #40
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I'm sorry if everyone is picking a team I'm going with a winner..

Bill Cowher: Head Coach
OC: Kevin Gilbride
DC: Wade Phillips

Doh Kevin apparently has been interviewed a few times of late?

Standard issue:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read