Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2005   #41
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Sears' fate was sealed on draft day and there's a reason Kasper has been with four teams in five seasons. He is to the offense what Jason Bell is to the defense. Don't be surprised when McKenzie beats out Bell for the last CB spot.
Jason Bell is in the league because of his ability as gunner and overall ST play. If the decision was based on his ability at corner he would have been gone long ago. I would not be surprised by his cut, but I won't bet against him making the final 53 again.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #42
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I really believe Bradford will be/ should be cut.

WRs: AJ, Gaffney, Armstrong, Mathis, SThomas, Swinton. with those 6, what purpose does he serve?

plus, no cap hit and no untapped potential.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #43
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jason Bell is in the league because of his ability as gunner and overall ST play. If the decision was based on his ability at corner he would have been gone long ago.
Yes, that's common knowledge and I thought that would come across in the Kasper-Bell analogy. Oh well...

Last edited by aj.; 08-29-2005 at 09:25 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #44
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Sears' fate was sealed on draft day and there's a reason Kasper has been with four teams in five seasons. He is to the offense what Jason Bell is to the defense. Don't be surprised when McKenzie beats out Bell for the last CB spot.
How serious was that hamstring injury to McKenzie? Was it just a tweak? I was mainly wondering since we haven't seen him since the Broncos game. Any word on if he will play against TB?

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #45
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the collective conscious of this board
we are the BORG, prepare to be assimulated.

only ones on that list that even are worth mentioning are Sears and Kasper, IMHO. The rest were 'cannon fodder' before training camp even began.

And I am all for Bradford NOT being on the final 53 roster.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #46
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
How serious was that hamstring injury to McKenzie? Was it just a tweak? I was mainly wondering since we haven't seen him since the Broncos game. Any word on if he will play against TB?
Capers said he would be back "doing some things" in practice today, so that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of him being able to play Thursday. His injury is definitely working against him at this point.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #47
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
I'm surprised Corey Sears was cut, too. But I guess with Payne, Smith, Walker, Deloach, TJ, and Ioane we currently have better options.
I think that's it exactly. A couple of years ago we were hearing about how Corey Sears was coming along and turning into a real asset behind our starters but I think he plateaued at some point and now in 2005 we've got a somewhat better grade of "quality depth" than we did back then.

I guess Ioane continues to get better or maybe he's hit his peak too but he's better than Sears. In the first couple of years we brought in so many guys and almost all of them were just placeholders for future Texans. We had time to watch projects grow. There will be less of that from here on out.
Old 08-29-2005   #48
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody think Zeke Moreno will make the team?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #49
William.carter
Veteran

Hervoyel:

Totally unrelated to this thread, but I have to say I love your avatar.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #50
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Why we kept Bradford over Kasper I will never figure out. Kasper has hands and Bradford doesn't. Kasper was the talk of the camp based on some of his catches. I still think Swinton got lucky and made the big return. Without that I think Starling continues to be in the line up. Well, we all have favorites and some win and some don't. The truth is this ball club is going to have a difficult time this year.

We've kept more than we can because of the overseas connection. In reality they have to cut quite a few more and its going to be interesting to see who remains.

The backfield will be desimated before this is over in order to keep Capers defense stalked with plenty of players. In fact I think we will be lucky if Capers keeps any offensive players. He really doesn't need an offense anyway. All he has to due is down it 3 times(translation - run the ball 3 times) and then punt it. He will then hold the other team to 3 and out and then we will return the punt with our special teams as that is his true plan for our offense this year. Should the other team score we will then use our kickoff unit to return the ball and restore our lead....................

:
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #51
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I still think Swinton got lucky and made the big return. Without that I think Starling continues to be in the line up.

Ibar, Swinton also had another big return in the denver game. returned it for about 40-50 yards. what has Starling done really? We have plenty of gunners for Starling to be cut, that's what happened.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I expect Joppru, Hollings or Bradford will take the cake in the next string of cuts
Can they cut Joppru & if so does this save them some extra cap room?

Anyone else think the Tampa game is make or break for Hollings? Davis is probably out so he should get the bulk of the carries along with Morency.

I think the Texans will keep Bradford, too much speed, depth & experience.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #53
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

They'll cut Joppru (I would too) and then he'll be a pro bowler for someone else next year (sigh). :brickwall

I think Hollings is going to have to play like a mad man to keep his job. I've never seen a Texans RB do as well in one game as he should have to do to keep it Thursday. He'll have to make up for doing nothing since he came to this team. Funny, I read an old post of mine stating that I wanted them to start him after DD had all those fumbles the first 2 games last year. Guess I just wanted to see anybody else at that point. Oh well.

Last edited by HJam72; 08-30-2005 at 03:55 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #54
TexanAggie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlat6
Hate to say it but we need to get rid of Tony Banks.. Give Ragnone a chance to play.

Yeah but Banks is a PROVEN back-up how quickly people forget when Carr got hurt.....

Ragone is only proven in NFL Europe!!!! Far cry from NFL

I see Ragone trying to go to another NFL team as a Starter.....

I hated to see Miller go but, he couldnt block to save his life and in this offense they need to block. I wish they would throw some more to the TE and FB.....

I still cant see why Joppru is around he has been hurt more than he has been on the field he needs to go oh and HOLLINGS Goodbye Plz Plz plz He is the Matt Stevens of the offense.........
TexanAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #55
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I think the Texans will keep Bradford, too much speed, depth & experience.
I agree that I think the Texans will keep Bradford, but I think it will be due more to his experience in the system. This would likely mean that Sloan Thomas wouldn't make the team despite a good showing this preseason. I'd imagine he'd get picked up by another team if he were to be cut.

Swinton deserved to make the team. I absolultely love what Starling brings to the table, but I think he deserved to be cut. He's great on special teams, but he just hasn't shown to be as reliable a receiver as the guys ahead of him in the preseason. Mathis brings alot of the same attributes that Starling brings, but he he's shown that he can return kicks and possibly punts as well as be a good receiver for Carr.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #56
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Yes, that's common knowledge and I thought that would come across in the Kasper-Bell analogy. Oh well...
That may have been my error, not yours.

For those on Kasper,

Seems like a hard nosed guy with good straighline speed and a solid ST player. Problem for him as the 5th or 6th Wr is he not a better returner than Swinton, and Mathis has more potential as WR. As a guy who is primarily ST player, the Texans already have a handful of those guys who they are more familiar with. IMO, He was released now so that he has a realistic chance.
Old 08-30-2005   #57
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Kasper was the best down field blocker out of all the WRs we have. I thought he was going to make the team.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #58
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardtexan
Kasper was the best down field blocker out of all the WRs we have. I thought he was going to make the team.
I have to agree with you on the blocking and his special teams was pretty outstanding. Speed on punt coverage was impressive. But considering the depth we have at WR this season and the quality and potential of actual receivers left, he still fell too low on the depth chart to keep him for his ST abilities alone. We have a solid core of ST guys already that are only improving.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #59
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardtexan
I keep seeing stuff where Kasper had great hands or was the best this or that. Dude played about 3 or 4 quarters in 3 preseason games. AJ is consider one of the best down field blockers in the NFL and now Kevin Kasper is better than him. Kasper can't be the best WR in any area on this team w/o playing in real football games. He is a career journeyman 4 teams 5 years. Two of those teams were really bad (49ers and Cardinals).

Not w/o some talent but not enough to be a real NFL difference maker.
Old 08-30-2005   #60
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I suspect it was a rather close call on Kasper. Lots of good things, just not enough.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read