Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2010   #861
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Casserly always favored D players.
Like Reggie Bush?
Old 10-20-2010   #862
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Bring back Casserly!
He did help draft the only HoF player in Texans history... hehe
Old 10-20-2010   #863
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
He did help draft the only HoF player in Texans history... hehe
He was part of the '06 draft, which sent 3 players to the ProBowl (two named All Pro.)
Old 10-20-2010   #864
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Prior to the season, there were some guys who said that the W/L record was the only stat that mattered and Kubes should be fired because of his W/L record...
There were just as many people who claimed that the won/loss record was a poor measure of a team. The "look and feel" evaluation of the game (by hometown fans, no less) was the most important indicator of a team's ranking in the NFL. Those people are also part of the 180 degree spin dance.

There is plenty of hypocrisy to go around.
Old 10-20-2010   #865
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

All i have to say is be careful what you wish for. For years aggie fans wanted slocum gone & they eventually got their wish. 2 head coaches later, It appears they still are in need of 1 & haven't been relevant on the college football scene for a minute.

I'm fine with either way Mcnair decides to go b/c on 1 hand, kubes has at least brought us to relevance, but on the other, he has had more than enough time to get us over the hump & hasn't been able to do it to date.
Old 10-20-2010   #866
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
All i have to say is be careful what you wish for. For years aggie fans wanted slocum gone & they eventually got their wish. 2 head coaches later, It appears they still are in need of 1 & haven't been relevant on the college football scene for a minute.

I'm fine with either way Mcnair decides to go b/c on 1 hand, kubes has at least brought us to relevance, but on the other, he has had more than enough time to get us over the hump & hasn't been able to do it to date.
Slocum finished 9-2 dang-near every year.

Kubiak has never had a two-loss season.

Nice try, but no comparison. Kubiak is "Wayne Fontes."
You gonna argue the Lions miss HIM?
Old 10-20-2010   #867
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

Hmmm... He pretty much went .500 during his tenure. 8-8 or 2-14? I would probably say that they do.
Old 10-20-2010   #868
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice try, but no comparison. Kubiak is "Wayne Fontes." You gonna argue the Lions miss HIM?
Ouch.

Just.

Ouch.
Old 10-20-2010   #869
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
There were just as many people who claimed that the won/loss record was a poor measure of a team. The "look and feel" evaluation of the game (by hometown fans, no less) was the most important indicator of a team's ranking in the NFL. Those people are also part of the 180 degree spin dance.

Absolutely not. I pointed to the stats many times last year, not saying it was more important that the W-L, but a measuring stick that can be used to measure the progress (or in this years case the lack) of the team.

You can also use them to compare one team to another (which is what they are used for most of all).

Last years stats showed me that we were playing good football in all three aspects of the game. But we were losing. Losing because of on the field player mistakes. That pointed to a maturity issue to me (unlike the Dallas Cowboys who are penalizing themselves out of wins (discipline)).

This year, we aren't playing very well at all in any phase of the game (the offensive stats look great (but if you were to take into account that we start slow & get those stats in the second half (4th Qtr) it points to very real problems), but we are winning.... which points to the maturity issue (if you ask me) being fixed (at least for now).
Old 10-20-2010   #870
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

English must not be your native language. It's like you don't read the whole post before you reply.

He wasn't comparing Kubiak to Slocum. Slocum (or rather the firing of Slocum) was used to illustrate a point.

He started his post with the words, "Be careful what you wish for..."

Not, "Kubiak is like Slocum..." or "Kubiak reminds me of Slocum..." or even, "Kubiak has been as successful as Slocum..."
Old 10-20-2010   #871
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
English must not be your native language. It's like you don't read the whole post before you reply.

He wasn't comparing Kubiak to Slocum. Slocum (or rather the firing of Slocum) was used to illustrate a point.

He started his post with the words, "Be careful what you wish for..."

Not, "Kubiak is like Slocum..." or "Kubiak reminds me of Slocum..." or even, "Kubiak has been as successful as Slocum..."
Yeah, yeah. I get what you're sayin', but I just couldn't let it slide.
The phrase "be careful what you wish for..." is paired with "something else"
a lot of people are "wishing for." The mind wanders into a logical direction...

"Be careful what you wish for" + "Inclusion of the name 'Kubiak" +
"Inclusion of the name 'Slocum'" = "Logical conclusion of 'Firing Kubiak'
is analogous in its consequences to 'Firing Slocum'"

So, after doing the math, one can clearly see I was attacking the logic
of his post, by cutting to the chase. Kubiak should not be
mentioned in the same sentence as Slocum, unless he is being referenced
as a member of R.C.'s staff.

¿Me entiendes?
Old 10-20-2010   #872
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak is "Wayne Fontes."
Yeah, prior to Schwartz, I am sure they did.

Fontes went 67-71 over his tenure with the Lions

After he was let go, Bobby Ross went 27-32 and was fired midway through the 2000 season. Followed by Marty Mornhinweg who went 5-27 & Steve Mariucci whis his great 11-21.

It has been downhill from there.

So yeah, I think if you were to poll Lions fans, yeah, they missed Fontes.

And IIRC, they were really pissed when he got fired.
Old 10-20-2010   #873
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

I'm not so sure it was as much as Slocum getting dimissed that hurt as much as around the same time other programs picked up.

A&M used to be able to recruit well out of California and once USC was revived under Carroll the California, the pipeline Slocum enjoyed dried up. I believe around the same time as well that Saban went to LSU and Stoops landed at OU.

I was a little surprised with the Franchione era, but then again his time at 'Bama from what I recall didn't produce a whole lot. Looking at things now Patterson was with Fran every stop before deciding to stay at TCU. Fran then levels off and Patterson maintains a very successful program. Just a thought. I also thought it was shady the way he left Alabama though. Reminds me a bit of Kelly bolting for Notre Dame.

Far as Sherman goes, I know part of the draw was being a former Aggie and his NFL pedigree was supposed to lure kids to College Station to go to the NFL. So far he hasn't been successful at sending players to the NFL like he was supposed to. I thought they should've looked for a guy that was a known recruiting ace. Though the program's talent is light years ahead of what Franchione brought it and seems to have a better idea of how to utilize athletes.

My question is to someone familiar with the them is how much leash is he on considering they seemed poised to make noise in the Big 12 South.

Far as replacing Gary and being sorry with the results. A lot of that is going to have to do with really seeing the caliber of GM that Rick Smith can be and getting a known person as your HC.

Aside from the obvious wants for Cowher, whom I think is likely headed to Carolina, Gruden (whether I am a big fan or not) is out there and I wonder what it would take to lure a guy like Marty back to the sideline.
Old 10-20-2010   #874
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I am really hoping this team comes out and does not look flat after the bye week...

I can't even really imagine how the rest of the season is going to go...

My honest opinion is that we are going to look bad against the Colts after the bye, but I really, really hope I'm wrong...
Old 10-20-2010   #875
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Far as Sherman goes, I know part of the draw was being a former Aggie and his NFL pedigree was supposed to lure kids to College Station to go to the NFL. So far he hasn't been successful at sending players to the NFL like he was supposed to. I thought they should've looked for a guy that was a known recruiting ace. Though the program's talent is light years ahead of what Franchione brought it and seems to have a better idea of how to utilize athletes.

He hasn't been there long enough to send players to the NFL yet has he? When did he take over there? '07, '08?
Old 10-20-2010   #876
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I am really hoping this team comes out and does not look flat after the bye week...

I can't even really imagine how the rest of the season is going to go...

My honest opinion is that we are going to look bad against the Colts after the bye, but I really, really hope I'm wrong...
If we spot them 21 points through 3 Qtrs, but come back to beat them in the 4th.... how would you feel?
Old 10-20-2010   #877
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
If we spot them 21 points through 3 Qtrs, but come back to beat them in the 4th.... how would you feel?
I would feel great! Don't matter how, it's the results! If we sweep the colts, I am going to be estatic!
Old 10-20-2010   #878
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's not gonna happen against the Colts, because if you are forced
to pass every down, their defense will kill you. Kubiak ALWAYS
abandons the run when the Texans get down by two or more scores,
and regrets it on the podium post-game.

The Texans beat the Colts on opening day, because the Texans had
the lead for all 60 minutes. The Colts have an ELITE pass defense,
the Texans don't.
Old 10-20-2010   #879
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Just when you thought you were out... they pull you back in.
Old 10-20-2010   #880
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
It's not gonna happen against the Colts, because if you are forced
to pass every down, their defense will kill you. Kubiak ALWAYS
abandons the run when the Texans get down by two or more scores,
and regrets it on the podium post-game.

The Texans beat the Colts on opening day, because the Texans had
the lead for all 60 minutes. The Colts have an ELITE pass defense,
the Texans don't.
Ok Mr Texans fan.... for your next reading lesson.

When a question begins with "if" you should respond to the following words as though they are true. You don't counter with a scenario that doesn't address the premise of the argument.

And you certainly don't interject your own "if" statement.. "because if you are forced to pass..."

It's selfish, self-centered, and arrogant.

Not prose.... not counter point... arrogant.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read