Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: capers stay or go
Stay 77 74.04%
Go 27 25.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2005   #41
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

[quote=The Preacher]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Humor beyond reason.....................

Based on the team play we have seen so far we will be lucky to make it to the .500 mark. So far there are no signs of cohesion on this ball club.

How does anybody think they can remotely gauge the success of a 16 game season off of a handful of series in the preseason? The starters have basically played only one half of football. For one to recognize the level of cohesion in that amount of time seems impossible.
IMO, what we are seeing from the Texans is not a culmination of a few
plays but,rather, what exist after 3 years of playing together as a team.
The question for me is whether or not what we are seeing on the field is
an acceptable level of performance given the time factor of 3 years.
During their existence IMO, there has been little difference in results
between the preseason and the regular season--our level of play has been
basically the same. Hopefully, beginning on 9/11, this thought will change
and the Texans will be on their way to a great year!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #42
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Lets say he did get canned after this season (say we went 6-10), and the new coach wants to put in a 4-3 defense. Who would make up our front 7?

I guess it could be something like:

LE Gary Walker
LT Robaire Smith
RT Seth Payne/Travis Johnson
RE Jason Babin/Antwaan Peek
LLB ?
MLB Kailee Wong
RLB Morlon Greenwood

Would we have to draft a LLB? I have Walker pinned in as our LE, but could he pull it off? If not, could Smith, Johnson, or Payne play LE? Would we even think of putting Babin at LE at his size?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

A "fire Capers" thread after only three seasons and three pre-season games?

You do realize that hiring a new HC takes us back to the beginning, yeah? A point, I might add, that requires the players to learn new systems and basically start from scratch.

At least give the coach a fourth season before breaking out the whine and cheese.

Such fairweather fans...tsk, tsk, tsk
Old 08-30-2005   #44
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I beleive Capers is doing a fine job with the things he has been given. However our O LINE Coach and Defensive coordinator need to be given 1 more season and if no improvement is shown we need to rid of them because they have not proved themselves worthy of there job yet.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #45
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
A "fire Capers" thread after only three seasons and three pre-season games?

You do realize that hiring a new HC takes us back to the beginning, yeah? A point, I might add, that requires the players to learn new systems and basically start from scratch.

At least give the coach a fourth season before breaking out the whine and cheese.

Such fairweather fans...tsk, tsk, tsk

I have never understood why people are under the impression that a new HC puts us right back at the beginning. If you have a good team in place and a coach that is somewhat clueless and you bring in somebody that knows what to do with the personnel he has inherited then it can be a very positive change.

Calling someone a fairweather fan because they have a completely different opinion about the HC than you do is kind of ridiculous. You are no more a fan than anyone else on these boards...tsk, tsk, tsk
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #46
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
If you have a good team in place and a coach that is somewhat clueless and you bring in somebody that knows what to do with the personnel he has inherited then it can be a very positive change.
Like:
Gruden? Sure he took a talented Bucs team (9-7 the previous year) to the Superbowl in his first season. Everyone was calling him the best young coach in football. Since then he's gone 7-9 and 5-11.
Gibbs maybe? Washington had easily the most fan-tastic offseasons over the past few seasons. Results are ugly.
Parcells? Awesome first year but he failed to post a record better than Capers last year. He's working on year 3. If he's successful then he only proves it does take time.

I'm not saying it can't happen but would say it'd be very rare for team that's considered "good" to give up on it's head coach and have the next coach come in and immediately improve the team for the longterm. Just like all coaches, Capers needs to win. I think he has a longer rope than most head coaches because of the expansion process. He has had MUCH less to start with than Parcells or Gibbs so he should get more time. How much time is up for debate but I'd place the number at 6 years. Less if the team collapses this season.

Bottom line: Coaches need talent to win.
Exascor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #47
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
Like:
Gruden? Sure he took a talented Bucs team (9-7 the previous year) to the Superbowl in his first season. Everyone was calling him the best young coach in football. Since then he's gone 7-9 and 5-11.
Gibbs maybe? Washington had easily the most fan-tastic offseasons over the past few seasons. Results are ugly.
Parcells? Awesome first year but he failed to post a record better than Capers last year. He's working on year 3. If he's successful then he only proves it does take time.

I'm not saying it can't happen but would say it'd be very rare for team that's considered "good" to give up on it's head coach and have the next coach come in and immediately improve the team for the longterm. Just like all coaches, Capers needs to win. I think he has a longer rope than most head coaches because of the expansion process. He has had MUCH less to start with than Parcells or Gibbs so he should get more time. How much time is up for debate but I'd place the number at 6 years. Less if the team collapses this season.

Bottom line: Coaches need talent to win.
Save your breath. I have heard all that over and over and over again on these boards. It doesn't change my opinion of Capers. IMHO Capers is a DC that is out of place in a HC position.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #48
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a question. If Capers is such a 3-4 Defensive Guru, why cant we get a decent pass rush? I mean, isnt this is forte?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read