Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2010   #41
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fire Frank Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
No, I'm saying that Frank Bush's scheme sucks, it's vanilla and easy to scope out wtf we are doing. We are not what I would consider an attacking defensive team. When you play quality QB's and let them sit back there 3-5 seconds unmolested and show your hand before the snap you are gonna get smoked..
It's the same scheme that was effective last year. I agree that it was vanilla, but it worked most of the time.

The personnel is the only thing that's changed.

There's no excuse to give up 400+ yards a game. Agreed that something will need to change in the scheme. We don't have any other choice.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #42
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
It's the same scheme that was effective last year. I agree that it was vanilla, but it worked most of the time.

There's no excuse to give up 400+ yards a game. Agreed that something will need to change in the scheme. We don't have any other choice.
We didn't really play any QB's that were worth a crap last year in the second half of the year other than Manning.. Brady maybe, and Chad Henne?
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #43
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread but

I am wondering about Ray Rhodes if things keep getting worse and (I seriously doubt anything will happen) the Texans decide they need a spark in the coaching staff

If I recall he is still the defensive assistant but I don't ever hear much about him..
I remember reading somewhere that Rhodes took the job as an assistant because of health issues, and he doesn't want a major job where he has to put in countless hours of hard work in that could put stress on his body.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #44
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Rhodes took the job as an assistant because of health issues, and he doesn't want a major job where he has to put in countless hours of hard work in that could put stress on his body.
This is correct.
Old 10-18-2010   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Hmm could have sworn they rested their starters quite a bit during that game..
Wilfork and Kevin Faulk did not play that game but obviously Wilfork being out didn't affect Brady.
Old 10-18-2010   #46
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wilfork and Kevin Faulk did not play that game but obviously Wilfork being out didn't affect Brady.
I'm willing to conceded and say ok but still come on they didn't have Wes Welker either after the first quarter. Overall though the level of offensive talent teams we played last year wasn't all that hot, I mean we made David Garrad look like a good QB in week 13 as well...

I just think people have a short memory of how bad then good our defense went last year, we were very inconsistent, and there wasn't much good in the first 4 weeks either..
Old 10-18-2010   #47
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Firing Frank Bush right now fixes nothing so there's not much point in doing that. We are who we are for the remainder of the season and then we need to look at what this year looks like in total and make a decision. If we're a lousy defense all year long then Frank should be shown the door. The Texans are either serious about this stuff or they're not. Running a coaching staff where almost nobody on the staff has ever held the level of responsibility they currently hold prior to this job is.... well it's 31st or 32nd place.

We go about this DC crap all wrong. A number of very good defensive minds have become available in the time it's taken us to figure out that Gary Kubiak doesn't know **** about picking himself a DC. We all talk about how "This guy runs a 3-4 so he's off the table" or "He'll want to bring in his own players so no... best stand pat" but if we'd gone out and hired a proven DC to begin with and then let him go get the players he needed to run said system all this change we seem to dread would be over by now.
Old 10-18-2010   #48
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

why this guy got hired is still a mystery to me....

but whatever, we are 4-2 and with the impending lockout, coaching moves will be tough to do this offseason much less in-season. The defense just isn't NFL-caliber. Everything about our defense sucks except Smith has really come along as a competitor and Okoye/Williams, though invisible at times, both have had their moments. No one fears us, that is for sure.

And that sucks because once people know your defense sucks, they start doing things like going for it on 4th down all the time and playing with loads of confidence.

As for Bush's performance, no one needs to say anything. It speaks for itself.

you can pull a guy off the street to play QB against the Kubiak-era defenses and they will have a career day and look like Dan freaking Marino. It's getting old and both his DCs have been bottom of the barrel and cheap. Maybe we should try and get someone with a proven record that can actually coach.

This all being said, the defense has made enough plays to help us get to 4-2, and that is something. Hopefully they can turn it around.
Old 10-18-2010   #49
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak, RS, nor Daddy Bob will fire anyone during the season, so, posts like this are pointless. JMO. BUT, leads to interesting discussion.

Kubiak decided during the off season to STICK with a young, inexperienced secondary, and Kubiak being Kubiak, he will not budge. I have heard him say TOOOOO many times that he believes in them, and he will not change anything. The only thing that will make a difference of some type, might not be better, is if someone gets hurt. Personally, I don't want that to happen. KJ seems to be getting better, and Nolan has been a plus. Pollard can't do it all by himself. The rest are just to damn lazy IMHO and don't hussle enough. Losing Meco in the LB core just might have a positive effect on our D. MAYBE those young dudes won't depend so much on the vets up front to do the job for them. I can't comment much on schemes and that sort of thing, but, I can comment on attitude, and I think most of our D has a lousy attitude. Sometimes I think our secondary has that "wait and see" attitude. Let's just wait and see what Mario, Cush, AS, and Meco do before we make a move. That's a coaching problem IMHO and needs to be fixed. Truthfully, some of those guys are still in the "college" mode, and they need to SNAP out of it. JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #50
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all need to shut the f up and become a team player, that or step off the wagon just to jump back on after the next win
Old 10-18-2010   #51
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Y'all need to shut the f up and become a team player, that or step off the wagon just to jump back on after the next win
We need to shut the f up?
I thought this was a public forum..

Wanting to improve the d seems important
Just sayin...I don't think anyone is being a bad fan except maybe yourself

No big deal though, we are all in this together and want the same thing

Go texans
Old 10-18-2010   #52
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How is that even possible to be a team player when nobody on the board plays for the team?

Is there a bandwagon team that I didn't know about?
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Not taking action blows up the accountability measure Kubiak is trying to instill.
This I do agree with. However, just because we don't have a press conference saying what actions were taken, doesn't mean that someone hasn't been held accountable.
Old 10-18-2010   #54
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How is that even possible to be a team player when nobody on the board plays for the team?

Is there a bandwagon team that I didn't know about?
Nope just the usual Joe Texan drivel of the day post.

Who needs reason and logic when you can be a "super fan" and just tell everyone to shut the F up?!

Whatever.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #55
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't hear anybody call for a cheerleader? Did you hear someone ask for a cheerleader Joe? If nobody asked for a cheerleaders opinion then what business do you have flapping your gums....err "fingers"?
Old 10-18-2010   #56
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think it's that they are in zone "too much" more than they don't understand zone.

Passing lanes seem to hold no meaning for them. When receivers enter their zone, they don't seem to know what to do, until he catches the ball. It seems like they don't have any peripheral vision.

The two tips, by Adibi & Ryan led to INTs..... made Nolan look like a starter (albeit Wilson probably would've dropped those)... we need more of that.

I made a thread last yr talking about 3 level defense. The opponets passing success isnt just because of the young corners, but it has more to do with the lb's other than cushing are terrible in coverage. Demeco and diles especially.

Linebacker coverage is so importat because they are suppose to sqeeze the windows between the wr,cb,and qb. Notice how davis and clark killed the texans on simple seam routes? Look at the top 5 defense and you will see lb's who understand route combinations against leverage. Thats why i said they shouldve brought adelius thomas couldve filled multiple roles on this team. He's very good in coverage and a very good blitzer. He's a joker and that would really work when trying to create pressure on opposing offenses. He can also play all 3 lb's spots and would be a better option on 3rd down nickel than ryans. Thats why the giants went and signed boley. He is one of the best lb's in coverage. Since teams use 3 wrs over 60% of the snaps, a cover lb is sorely missing. Now that ryans is hurt, they should bring thomas in for a workout.
Old 10-19-2010   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

One thing I find interesting, is that many people thought we would go 2-2 or 1-3 over the first 4 games of the season, because of missing Brian Cushing. I suppose they felt that we would go 1-3 or 2-2 while dominating the other team on defense.

I think we got ourselves into some bad habits trying to compensate for Cush & the rook..... & we just need to break our selves of those habits. I think we'll see our old defense after the bye.
Old 10-19-2010   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Agreed.

People want to get on me for saying that our problem is the offense, not the defense. They are ok with the "easy" answer, the answer the stats point to.

IMHO, you have to look at who our head coach is, and how our team is built.

Kubiak came from Denver & San Francisco. Their defenses only looked good (great??) because of the offense. Get ahead early on the score board, shut down the run, get after the QB. That's the way it was done. If we can get out early on offense, our small quick defensive line will get you a 3 & out. They've done it this year several times, giving the offense the ball, giving us an opportunity to get on the board, tie the game, or take the lead.

You don't go down by 24 points, (or whatever we spotted Washington) then come back to tie, then take the lead, unless the defense gets a few stops in there somewhere.

We've got a DL with 4 quarter horses.... no thoroughbreds. We aren't built to spend 40+ minutes on the field on defense. I know, you're saying if they get their 3 & outs, they won't be on the field...... check the play by play, go watch the games again.... it's ridiculous how many opportunities our offense had to put points on the board, yet they couldn't get a first down.

Kubiak is playing it up, letting the media jump all over his defense, allowing the offense to figure it out, without a lot of outside pressure. The defense is taking one for the team.

But our problem is on offense.

Show me a game where Schaub & the O click coming out of the gate, & I swear you will see a dominating defensive performance.

Understand the Colts game was game 1 without Cushing & with a rookie CB..... but any game after week 3, if our O would have showed up early, we would have seen a show.
Old 10-19-2010   #59
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
We need to shut the f up?
I thought this was a public forum..

Wanting to improve the d seems important
Just sayin...I don't think anyone is being a bad fan except maybe yourself

No big deal though, we are all in this together and want the same thing

Go texans
All of your couch drivel is giving me a headache, Yall couldn't defend yourselves out of a wet paper bag so STFU. And I am sorry Herv I do not take up your bad habbits of wearing womens skirts around cheering that all is good and save the poor little stray dogs.

This is the team we have and unless Kubes, lets his staff talk him into getting another player then your drivle is crap. We have a young defense and we have a young team and we will make mistakes, the important thing is they are overcoming the mistakes to win the game and here you all are saying fire a coach. kinda pathetic if you ask me. I bet all of you camp fire girls could not wait to start a Fire somebody thread, Well congratulations, you have started one and it is a great reflection of just why you all sit on a couch while the coach keeps his job.
Old 10-19-2010   #60
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that perhaps the problem is that our D is vanilla like last year, teams are picking up on it, and then they have the entire 16 games to look at from last year to spot tendencies.

One of the same reasons second year players faces adversity, people have had 1 year to check them out.

just my 0.02...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read