Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Fantasy Football Talk Fantasy football and video games

Old 09-24-2010   #1
Ckw

Default Fantasy Football Disagreement

Alright, I'd really like to get some opinions on this matter. A buddy of mine that I have been really good friends with for over 10 years and I have had a bit of a falling out. Any opinions would be much appreciated. I have asked many of my friends as well as mutual friends their opinion on the matter and all of them have sided with me so far, but I would like to get the opinions of those of you on the board that read this.

So last Friday night I get home from being out with my wife and am bored. In my bored state, I decide to try one time to log onto my buddy's fantasy football page. My very first guess turns out to be correct on his password and if only I could tell you what his password was. It was pretty funny and entertaining what his password turned out to be.

So as a joke, I decide to accept a trade I had sent him. It was a VERY minor trade (Kyle Orton for Tim Hightower) neither of which are starters for either of us. The next day, I found it hilarious to send him a text telling him thanks for accepting the trade and that he made a good decision. Well, the guy ends up flipping out. The trade takes 3 days to go through so nothing had been finalized or anything like that, but the guy gets pissed. Well, I tell him maybe he needs to change his password and hint to him that I know what his password is. He flips out and tells me to f off.

Knowing exactly what to do, I contact the league commissioner and have him veto the trade. I explain to him the situation, and he finds it funny, and I figure everything is over with. The next day my friend is texting me like nothing happened. Everything seems cool between us. Well then on Monday night, he sends an email out to the entire league basically calling me a cheater, saying that I was trying to screw over the entire league by accepting this trade for ****ing Tim Hightower (League Championship!!!) and says that he is refusing to pay his league dues which had not yet been collected. He then contacts the league manager and tells him the only way he will play is if I pay his dues. The league commissioner calls me and tells me what happened, tells me his understands and is on my side, and even offers to pay the league dues for my friend but say it was me that did it. I refuse because I am not going to give in. No damage was done to his team, he did not lose his matchup because of me, and he has no reason to quit the league.

Well, needless to say, I am PISSED. The fact that a guy that is supposed to be one of my best friends goes off and emails the entire league trying to make me look like a cheater is basically like asking for a fist fight. Then for him to say the only way he will play is if I pay his league dues was just bull shit. Nothing I did affected his team in anyway. His RBs are Mendenhall, Peterson, Barber, Cadillac, and Hightower. Nothing I did messed up his team, and I got it fixed the very same day all of this happened.

Honestly, I don't feel like I should just let this go. I'm not going to put up with someone making me out to be a cheater to a bunch of my friends and call me out in front of everybody. Also, I honestly believe he is doing this because he is pissed he is 0-2 and doesn't like his team. I think he is just using this as an excuse to not have to pay and be a cheap ass because he is pissed he is losing.

So anyway, what are your opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2010   #2
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fantasy Football Disagreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Alright, I'd really like to get some opinions on this matter. A buddy of mine that I have been really good friends with for over 10 years and I have had a bit of a falling out. Any opinions would be much appreciated. I have asked many of my friends as well as mutual friends their opinion on the matter and all of them have sided with me so far, but I would like to get the opinions of those of you on the board that read this.

So last Friday night I get home from being out with my wife and am bored. In my bored state, I decide to try one time to log onto my buddy's fantasy football page. My very first guess turns out to be correct on his password and if only I could tell you what his password was. It was pretty funny and entertaining what his password turned out to be.

So as a joke, I decide to accept a trade I had sent him. It was a VERY minor trade (Kyle Orton for Tim Hightower) neither of which are starters for either of us. The next day, I found it hilarious to send him a text telling him thanks for accepting the trade and that he made a good decision. Well, the guy ends up flipping out. The trade takes 3 days to go through so nothing had been finalized or anything like that, but the guy gets pissed. Well, I tell him maybe he needs to change his password and hint to him that I know what his password is. He flips out and tells me to f off.

Knowing exactly what to do, I contact the league commissioner and have him veto the trade. I explain to him the situation, and he finds it funny, and I figure everything is over with. The next day my friend is texting me like nothing happened. Everything seems cool between us. Well then on Monday night, he sends an email out to the entire league basically calling me a cheater, saying that I was trying to screw over the entire league by accepting this trade for ****ing Tim Hightower (League Championship!!!) and says that he is refusing to pay his league dues which had not yet been collected. He then contacts the league manager and tells him the only way he will play is if I pay his dues. The league commissioner calls me and tells me what happened, tells me his understands and is on my side, and even offers to pay the league dues for my friend but say it was me that did it. I refuse because I am not going to give in. No damage was done to his team, he did not lose his matchup because of me, and he has no reason to quit the league.

Well, needless to say, I am PISSED. The fact that a guy that is supposed to be one of my best friends goes off and emails the entire league trying to make me look like a cheater is basically like asking for a fist fight. Then for him to say the only way he will play is if I pay his league dues was just bull shit. Nothing I did affected his team in anyway. His RBs are Mendenhall, Peterson, Barber, Cadillac, and Hightower. Nothing I did messed up his team, and I got it fixed the very same day all of this happened.

Honestly, I don't feel like I should just let this go. I'm not going to put up with someone making me out to be a cheater to a bunch of my friends and call me out in front of everybody. What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Tell the guy to pay his dues or his team gets suspended. If no harm came and the trade was vetoed, then the guys is looking for a reason to not pay. You don't need guys like that for FF.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like he's got something else going on and is looking for an excuse. No harm, no foul. You did nothing wrong, his team is exactly the same as it was before. This guy sounds like he's covering up for something else
Old 09-24-2010   #4
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think you need to pay his dues,

However I don't think you should have been in his account and accepting trades for him either. Doesn't matter if you think it is a joke. I would have been very upset if someone had done that to me. Probably not to the extent he is, but very PO'D.
Old 09-24-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Grams. The dude has no case, but you were wrong to log into his account. I think whenever a password is needed it is considered to be private. You invaded somebody's privacy, IMO of course
Old 09-24-2010   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree with Grams. The dude has no case, but you were wrong to log into his account. I think whenever a password is needed it is considered to be private. You invaded somebody's privacy, IMO of course
I third it.
Old 09-24-2010   #7
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

He's being a whiny little biaaaatch.
Old 09-24-2010   #8
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Tell the guy to pay his dues or his team gets suspended. If no harm came and the trade was vetoed, then the guys is looking for a reason to not pay. You don't need guys like that for FF.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Sounds to me like he's got something else going on and is looking for an excuse. No harm, no foul. You did nothing wrong, his team is exactly the same as it was before. This guy sounds like he's covering up for something else
Sure seems that way. I think he just doesn't like his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
I don't think you need to pay his dues,

However I don't think you should have been in his account and accepting trades for him either. Doesn't matter if you think it is a joke. I would have been very upset if someone had done that to me. Probably not to the extent he is, but very PO'D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I third it.
Agree completely with all 3 of you. I apologized to him profusely and told him it was a lapse in judgment on my part. Even though it was a joke, it was an invasion of his privacy. I let him know that even if he kept the same password, it would never happen again. He has my word on that.

I'm curious if you guys think the email he sent was okay. I mean I could let it slide if he sent it the day everything happened and did it in the heat of the moment. But the guy knew it was a joke, I had already apologized a ton, and then two days later he fires off this email to everyone basically making me out to be a cheat, unsportsmanlike, and disrespectful. It was pretty low IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
He's being a whiny little biaaaatch.
And I have to agree with this as well.

I mean I have tried explaining all of this to my buddy, and he claims he is over it, yet he still wants to use this as an excuse to not pay and to not play. Pretty messed up IMO.

And rep to all of you I can for the responses. It definitely helps.
Old 09-24-2010   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO his e-mail was unneccessary and an attempt at drumming up support, I don't know what his motivation was but he needs to get away from the diva throne and talk to you about it. Just wait a few days and it'll simmer down.

You didn't cheat but the joke was in bad taste (you asked ), but seeing how there are safeguards against bogus trades and whatnot the guy could take that into consideration. His unhappiness is justified but if it were me I would have told you "uncool" and that would have been the end of it (after a few free beers of course....lol).

Maybe your guy is embarrassed that you could think on it 5 minutes and guess your way into his team, dunno.

Had the trade gone through the misdemeanor goes straight to a felony (kidding....kinda) though the trade could have been made in reverse to correct the problem, right?

Bottom line we are talking Fantasy Football (!) here and that is no reason to get real on a friend as it seems he did with you.

So, years later are you guys going to be the two old men in Central Park that scream at each other on a daily basis over checkers but wouldn't have it any other way?
Old 09-24-2010   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed.

Sure seems that way. I think he just doesn't like his team.

Agree completely with all 3 of you. I apologized to him profusely and told him it was a lapse in judgment on my part. Even though it was a joke, it was an invasion of his privacy. I let him know that even if he kept the same password, it would never happen again. He has my word on that.

I'm curious if you guys think the email he sent was okay. I mean I could let it slide if he sent it the day everything happened and did it in the heat of the moment. But the guy knew it was a joke, I had already apologized a ton, and then two days later he fires off this email to everyone basically making me out to be a cheat, unsportsmanlike, and disrespectful. It was pretty low IMO.

And I have to agree with this as well.

I mean I have tried explaining all of this to my buddy, and he claims he is over it, yet he still wants to use this as an excuse to not pay and to not play. Pretty messed up IMO.

And rep to all of you I can for the responses. It definitely helps.
I pretty much agree with this entire post. I agree with the people that stated it was invasion of privacy. I agree it looks like he's making up excuses now and being whiny.

You owed up to your mistake and apologized. And from what I am gathering he accepted it and moved on.....until the email. If he accepted it and moved on he needs to shut his pie hole at this point. Maybe it started to bother him after and he stewed over it? That might explain and is somehat understandble it would bother him later on, but by gones are by gones at this point.

That being said, I would pretty much take the high road but I would email the entire league as reply and state the facts, the intention of it, the fact you informed him and cancelled the trade and you notify the commish. And you apologized. I would get that out there to basically counter act the idea you're cheat.

People make mistakes. You apologized, what are you supposed to do, beg him to be your friend? Hell no. At some point you just got to shrug your shoulders, knowing you did what you could to smooth things over.
Old 09-24-2010   #11
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I pretty much agree with what has been said. Me and a buddy of mine have a long standing rivalry of trying to guess each others passwords or if someone leaves their account open while they're not at the computer, free reign to make comments. It's usually something like "My name is Jake and I'm a big fat asshole". But I think either of us would be upset if the other person touched the roster or accepted a trade.

With that said, your friends being a little punk about the whole situation. There was no need send out an email to the entire league and this should not alleviate him from his responsibility to pay into the league.

Edit: I thought I heard Hookem say that Texans Talk would change ahole to Bud Adams. I was looking forward to that.
Old 09-25-2010   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Is he a Cowboys fan? That might explain his unnecessary angst. They are a little edgy right now...

And yes, he's a douchenozzle for trying to quit the league over a practical joke. I think it's funny, but I have to disagree with the above posters 'privacy' issue. It's not like you were hacking his email to read private information, that would be invasion of privacy. You got no new knowledge from going into his FF account, his team is completely public info. It's a harmless joke, which turned out to effect nothing.

If he quits the league, mail him a tampon and tell him you're sorry you did this joke at the wrong time of the month.

Last edited by Dutchrudder; 09-25-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Thought about it more...
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #13
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Is he a Cowboys fan? That might explain his unnecessary angst. They are a little edgy right now...

And yes, he's a douchenozzle for trying to quit the league over a practical joke. I think it's funny, but I have to disagree with the above posters 'privacy' issue. It's not like you were hacking his email to read private information, that would be invasion of privacy. You got no new knowledge from going into his FF account, his team is completely public info. It's a harmless joke, which turned out to effect nothing.

If he quits the league, mail him a tampon and tell him you're sorry you did this joke at the wrong time of the month.
As a retired IT admin, I've been in the possession of others passwords for years, with not one incident of me ever logging into someone elses account for anything unless I had the express permission from that individual to do so, and even then, I've always made it my practice to have the person present if possible. I do feel it's a direct violation of his privacy.

Now is he wrong in what he's done in retaliation? You bet, he seems to be very immature by not accepting this young mans apology. So, I'm going to agree with you, he's a closet Bony Homo fan, and should be euthanized
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #14
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, he shouldn't be sounding off about not paying dues and everything, it's not that big of an issue.

However, as others have said, getting hacked into is a pretty crappy experience. With the dependency on computers of people these days, combined with the fact a lot of people have 'generic' passwords across all range of email and important accounts, I can see why he'd feel really bad about it...its as said before a breech of privacy. I guess I would compare it to the old style 'I read your diary' type of issue.

But yea, two wrongs don't make a right, it just ruins FF. Oh, and for the record, I rate Hightower as a FF option.
Old 09-25-2010   #15
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
IMO his e-mail was unneccessary and an attempt at drumming up support, I don't know what his motivation was but he needs to get away from the diva throne and talk to you about it. Just wait a few days and it'll simmer down.

You didn't cheat but the joke was in bad taste (you asked ), but seeing how there are safeguards against bogus trades and whatnot the guy could take that into consideration. His unhappiness is justified but if it were me I would have told you "uncool" and that would have been the end of it (after a few free beers of course....lol).

Maybe your guy is embarrassed that you could think on it 5 minutes and guess your way into his team, dunno.

Had the trade gone through the misdemeanor goes straight to a felony (kidding....kinda) though the trade could have been made in reverse to correct the problem, right?

Bottom line we are talking Fantasy Football (!) here and that is no reason to get real on a friend as it seems he did with you.

So, years later are you guys going to be the two old men in Central Park that scream at each other on a daily basis over checkers but wouldn't have it any other way?
Thanks for the post. I especially agree with the bold and thought the line about going straight from misdemeanor to felony put the whole argument into perspective. If I had committed a felony, my friend definitely would have had more of a case. If the trade had gone through and/or if I caused his team to lose his game, I could understand his reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I pretty much agree with this entire post. I agree with the people that stated it was invasion of privacy. I agree it looks like he's making up excuses now and being whiny.

You owed up to your mistake and apologized. And from what I am gathering he accepted it and moved on.....until the email. If he accepted it and moved on he needs to shut his pie hole at this point. Maybe it started to bother him after and he stewed over it? That might explain and is somehat understandble it would bother him later on, but by gones are by gones at this point.

That being said, I would pretty much take the high road but I would email the entire league as reply and state the facts, the intention of it, the fact you informed him and cancelled the trade and you notify the commish. And you apologized. I would get that out there to basically counter act the idea you're cheat.

People make mistakes. You apologized, what are you supposed to do, beg him to be your friend? Hell no. At some point you just got to shrug your shoulders, knowing you did what you could to smooth things over.
Your post perfectly sums up what happened, and I actually emailed the league about it immediately after I saw his email. I explained it was a joke, that I wasn't trying to cheat the league, and that I got the trade vetoed. No harm done other than the invasion of my friend's privacy.

And this was my argument. Since I didn't effect his team in a negative way, the argument was between my friend and I. No need to take it to a bunch of people in our fantasy league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I pretty much agree with what has been said. Me and a buddy of mine have a long standing rivalry of trying to guess each others passwords or if someone leaves their account open while they're not at the computer, free reign to make comments. It's usually something like "My name is Jake and I'm a big fat asshole". But I think either of us would be upset if the other person touched the roster or accepted a trade.

With that said, your friends being a little punk about the whole situation. There was no need send out an email to the entire league and this should not alleviate him from his responsibility to pay into the league.

Edit: I thought I heard Hookem say that Texans Talk would change ahole to Bud Adams. I was looking forward to that.
Pretty funny you and your buddy do that. Also, changing asshole to Bud Adams would be awesome. My friend has just been a Bud Adams about this whole thing!

Quote:

Interesting the different perspectives. Honestly, this is how I feel but since my friend seems to view it as an invasion of his privacy, I guess I need to be willing to go along with that because that is his perception of what happened. Like you said though, I gained no extra knowledge that I couldn't gain by just looking at this team on the league page.

Your line at the end is hysterical! If I had read this early enough, I would have done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
As a retired IT admin, I've been in the possession of others passwords for years, with not one incident of me ever logging into someone elses account for anything unless I had the express permission from that individual to do so, and even then, I've always made it my practice to have the person present if possible. I do feel it's a direct violation of his privacy.

Now is he wrong in what he's done in retaliation? You bet, he seems to be very immature by not accepting this young mans apology. So, I'm going to agree with you, he's a closet Bony Homo fan, and should be euthanized
Nice perspective on the matter coming from an IT admin. I guess what I didn't know or think about when I did this whole thing is even though what I am looking at on the fantasy page is full public access, the invasion of his privacy occurs when I try guessing his password. Whether or not it only took me 1 try to get it doesn't matter.

Hilarious line at the end! He would have to be a closet Bony Homo fan because as far as I can tell, he is the biggest Texans fan I know other than me. Very funny though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Well, he shouldn't be sounding off about not paying dues and everything, it's not that big of an issue.

However, as others have said, getting hacked into is a pretty crappy experience. With the dependency on computers of people these days, combined with the fact a lot of people have 'generic' passwords across all range of email and important accounts, I can see why he'd feel really bad about it...its as said before a breech of privacy. I guess I would compare it to the old style 'I read your diary' type of issue.

But yea, two wrongs don't make a right, it just ruins FF. Oh, and for the record, I rate Hightower as a FF option.
Agree completely. This is why it is good to get other perspectives.

As far as Hightower, he is only much of a fantasy football option because of the injury to Beanie Wells. He isn't your everyday starting RB or even an every week flex option. On the other hand, Orton could start for him every week considering how bad he is at QB (Derek Anderson & Mike Vick).

Anyway, thanks a ton everyone for the comments. I will rep all of you I can for the comments as I really appreciate the advice. My buddy and I have actually worked it out in time to go tailgate tomorrow at the Texans game, although no tickets to the game, we will have tvs set up, and party on hoping/expecting to see a Texans victory. He ended up emailing me and apologizing for sending the email. He still is being weird though and has decided he doesn't want to play but the league commish is having someone else take over his team and pay the dues so no harm is done to the league. At least if he realizes emailing the league was a ***** move then I am cool. I wished he would have just kept playing in the league, but that is his choice. What's important is that we root on the Texans in the parking lot tomorrow while many of you root them on inside the stadium.

Old 09-25-2010   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Again, this is not an issue of privacy when the information is public. He didn't read a journal, he didn't read private email, messages or anything else that wasn't public. The only private part of this whole issue is the password, which is probably something like 1-2-3-4-5; the kind of password an idjiot would put on his luggage. You want privacy? Make your password something difficult to crack and don't tell anyone what it is.

I just can't see how anyone would feel your privacy was violated in this instance as it amounts to someone walking into your front yard and rearranging your garden gnomes. Then they say, 'nice front lawn you go there', and laugh at your reaction, then they put them back the way they were.
Old 09-25-2010   #17
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Again, this is not an issue of privacy when the information is public. He didn't read a journal, he didn't read private email, messages or anything else that wasn't public. The only private part of this whole issue is the password, which is probably something like 1-2-3-4-5; the kind of password an idjiot would put on his luggage. You want privacy? Make your password something difficult to crack and don't tell anyone what it is.

I just can't see how anyone would feel your privacy was violated in this instance as it amounts to someone walking into your front yard and rearranging your garden gnomes. Then they say, 'nice front lawn you go there', and laugh at your reaction, then they put them back the way they were.
Screw with the gnomes in my yard, and I'll fill your butt full of rock salt buddy

It doesn't matter if the password is "ABC", it's the principle of logging into someone elses account. At that point, you're not in the front yard, you've stepped across my doorstep. It's just not something I condone.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Screw with the gnomes in my yard, and I'll fill your butt full of rock salt buddy

It doesn't matter if the password is "ABC", it's the principle of logging into someone elses account. At that point, you're not in the front yard, you've stepped across my doorstep. It's just not something I condone.
Ok, breaking an entry is one thing, logging onto a worthless Fantasy Football team is another. I guess a better analogy would be if someone like JB logged onto my Ttalk account and changed my profile to really lame stuff. Like changing my icon to Barney the dinosaur and made my sig the "I love you, you love me" song, then made some stupid posts under my name. Sure we would all get a laugh out of it, but I wouldn't hate him and tell everyone I'm never posting here again. It's an easy fix, no harm done and it's a good joke.

Old 09-25-2010   #19
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for the post. I especially agree with the bold and thought the line about going straight from misdemeanor to felony put the whole argument into perspective. If I had committed a felony, my friend definitely would have had more of a case. If the trade had gone through and/or if I caused his team to lose his game, I could understand his reaction.

Your post perfectly sums up what happened, and I actually emailed the league about it immediately after I saw his email. I explained it was a joke, that I wasn't trying to cheat the league, and that I got the trade vetoed. No harm done other than the invasion of my friend's privacy.

And this was my argument. Since I didn't effect his team in a negative way, the argument was between my friend and I. No need to take it to a bunch of people in our fantasy league.

Pretty funny you and your buddy do that. Also, changing asshole to Bud Adams would be awesome. My friend has just been a Bud Adams about this whole thing!

Interesting the different perspectives. Honestly, this is how I feel but since my friend seems to view it as an invasion of his privacy, I guess I need to be willing to go along with that because that is his perception of what happened. Like you said though, I gained no extra knowledge that I couldn't gain by just looking at this team on the league page.

Your line at the end is hysterical! If I had read this early enough, I would have done so.

Nice perspective on the matter coming from an IT admin. I guess what I didn't know or think about when I did this whole thing is even though what I am looking at on the fantasy page is full public access, the invasion of his privacy occurs when I try guessing his password. Whether or not it only took me 1 try to get it doesn't matter.

Hilarious line at the end! He would have to be a closet Bony Homo fan because as far as I can tell, he is the biggest Texans fan I know other than me. Very funny though!

Agree completely. This is why it is good to get other perspectives.

As far as Hightower, he is only much of a fantasy football option because of the injury to Beanie Wells. He isn't your everyday starting RB or even an every week flex option. On the other hand, Orton could start for him every week considering how bad he is at QB (Derek Anderson & Mike Vick).

Anyway, thanks a ton everyone for the comments. I will rep all of you I can for the comments as I really appreciate the advice. My buddy and I have actually worked it out in time to go tailgate tomorrow at the Texans game, although no tickets to the game, we will have tvs set up, and party on hoping/expecting to see a Texans victory. He ended up emailing me and apologizing for sending the email. He still is being weird though and has decided he doesn't want to play but the league commish is having someone else take over his team and pay the dues so no harm is done to the league. At least if he realizes emailing the league was a ***** move then I am cool. I wished he would have just kept playing in the league, but that is his choice. What's important is that we root on the Texans in the parking lot tomorrow while many of you root them on inside the stadium.

Out of curiosity, was his team doing poorly? Or less than what he was expecting?
Old 09-25-2010   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Out of curiosity, was his team doing poorly? Or less than what he was expecting?
He's 0-2 so far, so yes that probably has more to do with it than anything.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read