Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Fantasy Football Talk Fantasy football and video games

Old 09-16-2010   #21
Ckw

Default Re: Trade advice

Alright it's done. Both of us feel uneasy about it but we just did a trade of Rashard Mendenhall, Michael Crabtree, and Cadillac Williams for Wes Welker, Cedric Benson, and Chester Taylor.

I really feel like with Welker and Benson, I have a consistent RB as well as consistent WR. I hate giving up Mendenhall. Absolutely hate it, but I feel like I got good value and made up for a mistake I made in not drafting Welker over Crabtree.

I plan to drop Chester Taylor. Available options as backup RBs are Peyton Hillis, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Javon Ringer, and Leon Washington.

My RB depth took a bit of a hit losing Cadillac and Mendenhall, but I feel like I gained more with Welker and Benson than I lost. What are your thoughts? Also, what FA would you recommend I go after to make up for the loss of Cadillac?
Old 09-16-2010   #22
Ckw

Really anxious to hear some opinions on the trade. Who do you think won and who lost? Did I give up too much? I feel like for the long haul, Benson and Mendenhall are essentially a wash as both were 2nd-3rd round picks. I guess the major thing this trade says is I really placed my eggs in Arian's basket. If he fails, it is fairly likely my team fails. Welker is the icing, but I had to lose a great backup in case of injury in Cadillac.

Any suggestions on who I should grab on the waiver wire? Obviously, Brandon Jackson is gone. My RB core looks like this: Foster, Charles, Benson, & Spiller. Do you think I should keep Chester Taylor or get someone like Peyton Hillis, Fred Taylor, & Leon Washington. Anyone I should be on the lookout for?
Old 09-16-2010   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I probably would have kept Mendenhall, right now he is all Pitts got, then with cheesburger comes back his touches will decrease but his yards per will increase. Welker is a plus so he may end of saving you, a consistent WR is worth his weight in gold. you have plenty of depth @ RB too.
My focus would be to upgrade QB now
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010   #24
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I probably would have kept Mendenhall, right now he is all Pitts got, then with cheesburger comes back his touches will decrease but his yards per will increase. Welker is a plus so he may end of saving you, a consistent WR is worth his weight in gold. you have plenty of depth @ RB too.
My focus would be to upgrade QB now
I have Philip Rivers and Kyle Orton. Don't feel too bad about my QBs. Only position I was weak at was #2 WR. I gave up a #1 RB to get a #2 RB (Benson) and #2 WR.

The thing that got me with Mendenhall is the stat I read about how terrible of a day he really had until he broke off that one big run they have been constantly showing on ESPN. Without that, he would have had a terrible day. I felt like this was a chance to buy low (Benson) and sell high (Mendenhall).

Still think I should upgrade at QB?
Old 09-16-2010   #25
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post

I think you are set at QB. Rivers is a great QB, and Orton isn't too bad. He definitely won't be losing his starting spot to Tebow anytime soon so you should be ok with him if Rivers ever gets injured. Plus, what would you have to give up to get a QB that may be marginally better than Rivers? Not worth it IMO.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have Philip Rivers and Kyle Orton. Don't feel too bad about my QBs. Only position I was weak at was #2 WR. I gave up a #1 RB to get a #2 RB (Benson) and #2 WR.

The thing that got me with Mendenhall is the stat I read about how terrible of a day he really had until he broke off that one big run they have been constantly showing on ESPN. Without that, he would have had a terrible day. I felt like this was a chance to buy low (Benson) and sell high (Mendenhall).

I like to carry three QB's if possible. top tier #1 Aaron Rodgers. third level like a Matt Ryan then for good measure off waivers biggest surprise like a healthy Matt Hasselback. that gives you various combinations plus if you have a flex option that includes QB you can use the top two in best match-ups for maximum points. but hey that's just me you do what you want.
Old 09-16-2010   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
I think you are set at QB. Rivers is a great QB, and Orton isn't too bad. He definitely won't be losing his starting spot to Tebow anytime soon so you should be ok with him if Rivers ever gets injured. Plus, what would you have to give up to get a QB that may be marginally better than Rivers? Not worth it IMO.
Rivers has talent but cries too much for my taste. Orton is one knock away from season ending status, his durability is always a question?
Old 09-16-2010   #28
Ckw

Quote:
I like to carry three QB's if possible. top tier #1 Aaron Rodgers. third level like a Matt Ryan then for good measure off waivers biggest surprise like a healthy Matt Hasselback. that gives you various combinations plus if you have a flex option that includes QB you can use the top two in best match-ups for maximum points. but hey that's just me you do what you want.
No need for 3 QBs in my league. We can only play 1 QB a week and cannot use one as a flex option. That is only left open for WR and RB.

Quote:
Rivers has talent but cries too much for my taste. Orton is one knock away from season ending status, his durability is always a question?
Rivers may cry a river, but you can't knock his play, especially in fantasy. The guy has been a top 4-8 fantasy football QB the last 4 years or so. I simply continues to put up numbers. Great QB IMO.

Anyway, back on topic. What do you guys think of my trade? Obviously, I should probably drop Chester Taylor as he provides me little in the rushing game. So my choices on the waiver wire, as Peyton Hillis already got picked up, are Fred Taylor, Javon Ringer, John Kuhn, Julius Jones, Leon Washington, Brian Westbrook, Laurence Maroney, Jerrious Norwood, Mike Bell, Kevin Smith, Kareem Huggins, Earnest Graham, and Tashard Choice. Slim pickings I'd say. I am leaning towards Fred Taylor.
Old 09-16-2010   #29
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90792 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No need for 3 QBs in my league. We can only play 1 QB a week and cannot use one as a flex option. That is only left open for WR and RB.

Rivers may cry a river, but you can't knock his play, especially in fantasy. The guy has been a top 4-8 fantasy football QB the last 4 years or so. I simply continues to put up numbers. Great QB IMO.

Anyway, back on topic. What do you guys think of my trade? Obviously, I should probably drop Chester Taylor as he provides me little in the rushing game. So my choices on the waiver wire, as Peyton Hillis already got picked up, are Fred Taylor, Javon Ringer, John Kuhn, Julius Jones, Leon Washington, Brian Westbrook, Laurence Maroney, Jerrious Norwood, Mike Bell, Kevin Smith, Kareem Huggins, Earnest Graham, and Tashard Choice. Slim pickings I'd say. I am leaning towards Fred Taylor.
I would go with Taylor for now. Until he gets injured he will be the starter.

edit: Just saw Leon Washington there. He might be a nice sleeper candidate.
Old 09-16-2010   #30
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I would go with Taylor for now. Until he gets injured he will be the starter.

edit: Just saw Leon Washington there. He might be a nice sleeper candidate.
Already grabbed Fred Taylor. I still might drop Chester Taylor and get Leon Washington. Is he returning kicks?
Old 09-16-2010   #31
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90792 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Already grabbed Fred Taylor. I still might drop Chester Taylor and get Leon Washington. Is he returning kicks?
He is returning kicks but not punts.
Old 09-16-2010   #32
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really anxious to hear some opinions on the trade. Who do you think won and who lost? Did I give up too much? I feel like for the long haul, Benson and Mendenhall are essentially a wash as both were 2nd-3rd round picks. I guess the major thing this trade says is I really placed my eggs in Arian's basket. If he fails, it is fairly likely my team fails. Welker is the icing, but I had to lose a great backup in case of injury in Cadillac.

Any suggestions on who I should grab on the waiver wire? Obviously, Brandon Jackson is gone. My RB core looks like this: Foster, Charles, Benson, & Spiller. Do you think I should keep Chester Taylor or get someone like Peyton Hillis, Fred Taylor, & Leon Washington. Anyone I should be on the lookout for?
I think you did a great job. You upgraded your WR core significantly, and only lost a little with the RB swap. Kudos.

Keep Chester Taylor. He would be a great play if Forte goes down. He can catch and run just like Forte.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010   #33
Ckw

Quote:
He is returning kicks but not punts.
Yeah with the 3 headed monster they are running in Seattle, I'm not sure he is the guy to pickup. As I said, I already picked up Taylor as a bit of a replacement for Cadillac but am very intrigued also by Javon Ringer (hey Chris Johnson can't stay healthy forever, right?) and Isaac Redman for the Steelers. Both guys look like they offer some potential down the road especially if injuries occur. Ringer is probably better but will only be worth anything if CJ gets hurt. Redman on the other hand is going to be the Steelers main goal line back and will definitely take some carries from Mendenhall.

I really appreciate the comments JB

Duthchman, dc txtech, where are you guys? I'm waiting for some commentary from you two. Did I really screw up with this trade? Personally, I feel pretty damn good about it, but am a little more concerned about RBs. One injury and I might be hurting unless I make some very smart early moves.
Old 09-16-2010   #34
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I think you did a great job. You upgraded your WR core significantly, and only lost a little with the RB swap. Kudos.

Keep Chester Taylor. He would be a great play if Forte goes down. He can catch and run just like Forte.
Man, I hate the whole spread reputation thing. You guys are the ones commenting on my post and would really like to rep you all again.

Interesting take. I guess it's not a bad idea to keep Taylor. He just seems kind of worthless to me.
Old 09-16-2010   #35
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Man, I hate the whole spread reputation thing. You guys are the ones commenting on my post and would really like to rep you all again.

Interesting take. I guess it's not a bad idea to keep Taylor. He just seems kind of worthless to me.
Yeah, but he is going to be on the bench anyway, unless he starts getting play time. Whoever else you pick up is also going to be riding the pine on youir team.
Old 09-16-2010   #36
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but he is going to be on the bench anyway, unless he starts getting play time. Whoever else you pick up is also going to be riding the pine on youir team.
Exactly. Ckw5814 already has his starting 3 RB's. From the FA RB's he named earlier there is no reason to drop a possible fantasy stud for someone like Hillis who had a good game, but is on a crappy team.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010   #37
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Exactly. Ckw5814 already has his starting 3 RB's. From the FA RB's he named earlier there is no reason to drop a possible fantasy stud for someone like Hillis who had a good game, but is on a crappy team.
But I'm not dropping a possible fantasy stud. I am dropping a likely fantasy dud (Chester Taylor) for a possible fantasy stud.

The only thing I dropped for Fred Taylor was the 49ers D, and I plan to just swap those out each week and pick up whatever the hot D is for that game.

So final verdict and I'm ready for everyone's honest, brutal truth? Did I win with this trade (Rashard Mendenhall, Michael Crabtree, and Cadillac Williams for Wes Welker, Cedric Benson, and Chester Taylor?

My weekly starting lineup looks like this:

QB Philip Rivers
RB Arian Foster
RB Cedric Benson
RB/WR Jamal Charkes
WR Andre Johnson
WR Wes Welker
TE Kellen Winslow/Brent Celek
K Whoever is hot
D/ST Whoever is hot
Old 09-16-2010   #38
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you're in a good spot. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Welker had a great game last week and he's their #2 guy, but gets lots of catches.
Old 09-16-2010   #39
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think you're in a good spot. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Welker had a great game last week and he's their #2 guy, but gets lots of catches.
Especially this week.
Old 09-16-2010   #40
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Better off or should I have just stayed put with what I had?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read