Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate > Platinum & Blue Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tailgate question re $ for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I'm coming to the cowboys game. Bringing me my brother and 2 friends. How much should I bring and who should I give my money to? I've always felt welcome when I've been in the past. (shetexan I hung around and waited to say hi, but I had a kid and a long road trip home and thanks for the food/candy/conversation Joe).

I really just look forward to hanging out with some of the people on the board but I feel awkward not giving someone something. I don't know the groups (hell I don't know anyone's real name other than Joe and Ted) well enough to know who is where but I'd love to avoid the confusion. Does bringing money to one group mean that I eat there or what? I don't wanna sound rude, but I'd rather sound rude here and get straightened out than saying nothing and having everyone think I'm rude in person.

Any advice would be welcome.

Mike
If I understand Ryan correctly, (and is fairly typical of Blue Crew as a whole) I don't think he is asking for money from visitors, but those that actually share his spot.
Old 09-13-2010   #22
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We at the Blue Crew experienced one year a girl taking money from people walking up, I think she just pocketed the money when she and her hubby just walked up to boot. She was told to quit doing it, then she ended up in a hummer room at a Christmas Party one year and Went away for good. Between me and Billy we put in about a lot of dollars a game and happy to do it. If I aint got it I aint bringing it. We have never asked a person for donations in the blue crew and I do not believe we should. The blue Crew is about 69 cars strong and to get all these people to agree aint going to happen. We have now implemented the 50/50 so it is a way to get poeple to give money and they might win it back. It was successful yesterday and with time it will be very successful. Yankee you can tell your guys to pay you to subsidize your menu but that would be between yall. and that agreement should be between you and your friends as your hosting them. I also do not feel the need to have tip jars all over and the 50/50 takes care of that. We had a problem yesterday that the tickets were called and 3 people were not there. We just re called another number till we got a number that was correct. Somebody collected a substantial amount for tailgating
Old 09-13-2010   #23
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Tailgate question re $ for food

Quote:
I'm glad you brought this up. I'm coming to the cowboys game. Bringing me my brother and 2 friends. How much should I bring and who should I give my money to? I've always felt welcome when I've been in the past. (shetexan I hung around and waited to say hi, but I had a kid and a long road trip home and thanks for the food/candy/conversation Joe).

I really just look forward to hanging out with some of the people on the board but I feel awkward not giving someone something. I don't know the groups (hell I don't know anyone's real name other than Joe and Ted) well enough to know who is where but I'd love to avoid the confusion. Does bringing money to one group mean that I eat there or what? I don't wanna sound rude, but I'd rather sound rude here and get straightened out than saying nothing and having everyone think I'm rude in person.

Any advice would be welcome.

Mike
I can't speak for others, but I never feel visitors (visitor = a few games, not 10 games) need to pay or bring food.

I feel visitors are entitled to any extra food. My group usually has a little, but the Blue Crew main tent has TONS. I doubt anyone would ever tell you to bring money or food but it can't hurt to ask them. *edit* Joe just said above you are welcome to anything from Blue Crew, so no need to worry Mike!!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #24
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If I understand Ryan correctly, (and is fairly typical of Blue Crew as a whole) I don't think he is asking for money from visitors, but those that actually share his spot.
Yup - if you don't receive an e-mail from me telling you to bring me $7 and giving you the menu, you're not the subject of my post

But I'm still open for advice as how not to piss my friends off!

My problem is not moochers but those not wanting to contribute in a way that maximizes our game day consumtption.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-13-2010   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn, you called my ticket??

As far as charging money? No, never. Heck I've been known to give an extra ticket away without charging for it. It ain't about that for us. I have my deal worked out with my peeps and that's as far as it goes.

Joe and I texted each other about the liquor for our Game Day shots and without a word I picked up what was needed from Specs. That's just how we roll!
Old 09-13-2010   #26
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Yup - if you don't receive an e-mail from me telling you to bring me $7 and giving you the menu, you're not the subject of my post

When you send the e-mails asking for the $7, why don't you ask them if they are going to donate cash or bring food? If they want to bring food, get all that settled prior to your shopping. If they want to bring food, try to get dtails on what they are planning to bring. Re-inforce the idea that you are happy to do the shopping for all if they will just contribute to the cost.
Old 09-13-2010   #27
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

as stated before a menu would be cool and then letting folks pick what to cook from that. Any thing that is not left can either be kicked into some kind of find IE... 50/50 fund or stuff for the tailgate fund. I'm always down for whatever. I tend to like to cook up some different things from time to time so I'll probably still bring some extra of something or another.
Old 09-13-2010   #28
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

We were the lucky ones that benefited from the 50/50. But I am looking at mesh tarps and other things to buy with the proceeds to enhance the tailgate.

This probably needs to go in another thread, but we sent our generator with TedC and it has plenty of horsepower to handle more fans. If anyone has big fans, bring them next time.
Old 09-13-2010   #29
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My problem is not moochers but those not wanting to contribute in a way that maximizes our game day consumtption.
Sometimes you just gotta grab the bull by the horns and tell them how it is.. a friend will understand and adapt.. if they have problems or take it personal, then ya know what, you know they are more about them then the group in general.. I wouldn't sweat just saying how it is, as that is the easiest and the best way to get it across...You want things to change, that will get it squared away.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #30
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
We were the lucky ones that benefited from the 50/50. But I am looking at mesh tarps and other things to buy with the proceeds to enhance the tailgate.

This probably needs to go in another thread, but we sent our generator with TedC and it has plenty of horsepower to handle more fans. If anyone has big fans, bring them next time.
Talked to Amy's uncle who owns bullshirts and H&H tents. He said he's going to see what he can do about finding a sponser and maybe getting that tent for free and maybe even goods and such
Old 09-13-2010   #31
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that there isn't the expectation that I bring something necessarily but I do want to contribute. I'm going to try to make 4 games this year cause who knows when I get moved away and can't make them anymore and I'd really like to contribute. The only problem is I travel with two dogs and at least 3 people so I'd love to bring food but it gets a little cramped. maybe I'll just start stuffing 1's in people's pockets. Um... er... do the cheerleaders have a tailgating crew? J/k.

In all seriousness. One of the guys coming with me next week is a pies fan... no way I expect him to be fed for free!!!!

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #32
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
Talked to Amy's uncle who owns bullshirts and H&H tents. He said he's going to see what he can do about finding a sponser and maybe getting that tent for free and maybe even goods and such
I've wanted Blue Crew koozies for years!!!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-13-2010   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

Now, that 50/50 is a very cool idea!! I love it!! The beautiful thing is that it will actually go towards group equipment (i.e. tents, signs/banners, etc.)

I know you know that Katie, but it was for the benefit of those that don't know what the 50/50 is for.
Old 09-13-2010   #34
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
I know that there isn't the expectation that I bring something necessarily but I do want to contribute.

Mike
So contribute to the conversation and support the Texans
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-13-2010   #35
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Quote:
I've wanted Blue Crew koozies for years!!!
He's in New York and its a pain dealing with the people that work there so I'll see if I can't ride his butt and do what I can do.
Old 09-13-2010   #36
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So contribute to the conversation and support the Texans
There are plenty of people that hate when I contribute to the conversation!!! I'm better off sitting in the corner looking old!

BTW where is spec? I haven't seen him anywhere.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's been my experience that the ones you are closest to will stiff you first . Why , I think it's human nature but you have to be upfront and say if you want to participate , here's what we do . They'll either like or not but they'll respect you .
Old 09-13-2010   #38
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

The Blue Crew motto has been bring what you want and just a little more.

I kind of like the way we do it (unorganized) because you get to try someone's favorite dish. Last tailgate Big Toro brought some really great breakfast tacos, Dissacks does some great chicken, Joe does some great fajitas, don't get me started on Katie's Crack Weenies, and I can't wait to see what the next tailgate will bring.

To me organization is too hard and not quite as fun.

The 50/50 is just something we are doing for equipment and banners. It will not subsidize food or drink.

The first thing we are looking at is a big azz Blue Crew flag and flag pole.

Katie- I have two BIG fans.

Mike- Don't even try it. The last one who tried stuffing ones in my pocket married me. Just bring what you want to drink, if possible, and come out and have a great time.
Old 09-13-2010   #39
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
The Blue Crew motto has been bring what you want and just a little more.

I kind of like the way we do it (unorganized) because you get to try someone's favorite dish. Last tailgate Big Toro brought some really great breakfast tacos, Dissacks does some great chicken, Joe does some great fajitas, don't get me started on Katie's Crack Weenies, and I can't wait to see what the next tailgate will bring.

To me organization is too hard and not quite as fun.

The 50/50 is just something we are doing for equipment and banners. It will not subsidize food or drink.

The first thing we are looking at is a big azz Blue Crew flag and flag pole.

Katie- I have two BIG fans.

Mike- Don't even try it. The last one who tried stuffing ones in my pocket married me. Just bring what you want to drink, if possible, and come out and have a great time.
And that's why Blue Crew is the best!
Old 09-13-2010   #40
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Next time I am fortunate enough to get tickets to a game, I am bringing a couple of these fully cooked and ready to eat, for all the Blue Crew who made us feel welcome Sunday:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...hlight=brisket
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate > Platinum & Blue Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read