Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate > Platinum & Blue Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Tailgate question re $ for food

Let us say hypothetically after years of tailgating, you decide the best way to do your tailgate is everyone brings $7.

In return you get chips and some kind of dip, appetizer, lunch, some kind of booze and sometimes another thing here or there.

You also never are asked to chip in for forks, plates, etc.

And you honestly spend more than you collect, but you are happy to do it.

Primary reason? When you tell half a dozen folks to bring something it never goes right. One person forgets a vital ingredient. Or you ask for burger fixins and someone brings a whole tomato and whole head of lettuce (whereas you decide it is easier to do all the prep work at home the day before than bring extra knives, cutting boards, etc).

If you have tailgaters that ignore your request for $7 and keep bringing food (that honestly is not needed), how do you broach the topic without offending anyone?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #2
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tailgate question re $ for food

Been trying to understand this for eight years Ryan. Finally gave up and just decided to "go with the flow." Regardless of how many times I ask, "what is everyone bringing" or try to establish a "menu" it went over like a dead colt! lol Kimberly and I use to try to "organize" the Blue Crew, and finally figured out that it was NOT gonna happen. BUT, over all, it seems to be working out just the way it is. Our overall group is HUGE, and a lot of members don't frequent this board, so everyone doing their own "thang" and bringing a little extra for friends, just seems to work out. Maybe with the "ticket" sales we can eventually improve the LOOK of the area. Get rid of the green and white stripped tents, get some cool banners or flags, get David some help with his grill. I've been with the BC since the beginning, and I don't believe we have ever ask anyone for money.

Also, the Blue Crew has about 5-6 sub groups. Yours, Justins, Wills, Dean, Jeff, and Andy's group, Joe's, Bills, and sometimes the motorhome group. Some of us feel ok wandering from group to group and checking out what you have, but, others don't. Sometimes I wish we could all be just ONE big happy family and pool ALL our goodies, but, I know that's not gonna happen. Have all the food in the middle, and have all the sub areas for entertaining, visiting, playing games, a separate place to sit down and eat, etc. That would increase our "grill" space and get folks out of the "food" space and out and about the different areas. I know that's a pipe dream of mine, and I accept that.

To answer your question a little better, you're probably spinning your wheels. People don't like for fork over money, and are usually offened if you bug them to do things YOUR way. I learned that from experience. Just bring what you want, or what you assigned yourself to bring. If the rest of the group doesn't do their part, they can spend mega bucks inside the stadium to eat. Most of all, don't fret about it. HAVE fun, it always works out.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #3
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

That's been a "problem" for a few seasons... some people think that a bag of chips or cookies every week entitles them to unlimited food, drinks and snacks, not just for themself, but for the one or two extras they bring with them..
Now I call or email people who "used" to do that and tell them this is what is expected for them to bring this time.. believe it or not, I was expecting to get a little flak back from them, but it actually went over good, as they really never knew what they should have brought. This way they know that everyone else is dependant on them to bring whatever it is they were asked.
So if they do not, they are putting everyone else in a bad place by not having what was needed there..Sometimes knowing you will let down a lot of people in your group, friends, makes you not forget to bring things...
Money is never the right thing to do...as then they can say, I paid, I can have whatever is there...thus some people will take advantage..
Decide on the menu a few days out, get everyone on board, commit to who is bringing what, then just plan on it being taken care of.. You will know soon enough who is not reliable... then just make needed changes after..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #4
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that there is a tactfull way that you can get your point across to this person. Maybe having a discussion with the group as a whole and letting them know that in order to continue enjoying all the perks of your tailgating section a small fee will need to be collected from them. If that still does not work then you can go directly to that person, and make he or she aware that there food is really not needed and that coughing up that small fee would help alot more than bringing a tomato a head of lettuce.

7 dollars, if that is your fee is very cheap, I think everyone in blue crew could save alot of money if there was some kind of menu and there was some organization, But like Gma says it would be hard to get everyone to go in one direction.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129553 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I now feel bad for showing up, unhinging my jaw and swallowing that entire meatloaf while taking a bottle of wine as an IV.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Let us say hypothetically after years of tailgating, you decide the best way to do your tailgate is everyone brings $7.

In return you get chips and some kind of dip, appetizer, lunch, some kind of booze and sometimes another thing here or there.

You also never are asked to chip in for forks, plates, etc.

And you honestly spend more than you collect, but you are happy to do it.

Primary reason? When you tell half a dozen folks to bring something it never goes right. One person forgets a vital ingredient. Or you ask for burger fixins and someone brings a whole tomato and whole head of lettuce (whereas you decide it is easier to do all the prep work at home the day before than bring extra knives, cutting boards, etc).

If you have tailgaters that ignore your request for $7 and keep bringing food (that honestly is not needed), how do you broach the topic without offending anyone?
Rule #1

Whenever you're in charge , it's gonna cost you .

Rule #2

The folks who ignore what you request or complain about what you request decline to take charge because they're busy .
Old 09-13-2010   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Tell me where you're at, & I'll bring $20. I'd love to get in on the tailgating thing, but I don't feel right just walking into someone's "house" & start eating.

Is there normally a tip jar or something?
Old 09-13-2010   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Tailgate question re $ for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Rule #1

Whenever you're in charge , it's gonna cost you .

Rule #2

The folks who ignore what you request or complain about what you request decline to take charge because they're busy .
I don't mind eating the extra cost, but, hypothetically - if the menu is steak then why do you insist on bringing more steak instead of giving me $7? If I didn't think it would just damage friendships I would say great, we said the menu is steak, you brought steak, don't touch all the extra stuff we brough until you pay me the $7 because more steak didn't benefit the group. /rant

I just don't get it. I guess I wrote this post to understand the psyche of the person wanting to bring something that doesn't really benefit the group/fit the menu so I can address the issue???

So if you're the guy who just wants to bring 'something' and refuses to chip in, please tell me why so I can understand and try to fix things
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-13-2010   #9
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Tell me where you're at, & I'll bring $20. I'd love to get in on the tailgating thing, but I don't feel right just walking into someone's "house" & start eating.

Is there normally a tip jar or something?
Come by Blue Crew any time. The group in general doesn't really ask for anything other than BYOB. There is always plenty of food.

I just plan a menu with my sub group of the Blue Crew and we all pitch $7 in.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-13-2010   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan, are you talking about all of Blue Crew or wihin our own little tailgates in Blue Crew???
Old 09-13-2010   #11
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Ryan, are you talking about all of Blue Crew or wihin our own little tailgates in Blue Crew???
That was my next post.

Getting the ENTIRE Blue Crew together plum doesn't make sense (see the demise of FILO).

I'm just referring to the people in my corner - we shoot around menu e-mails a few days prior to the game, Lindsay and I go buy all the food, supplies and booze (and prep everything) and we ask that people bring $7; not everyone plays that way apparently and I would to find a tactful way to do so.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-13-2010   #12
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
More so you TB... take this posting to heart !!
Old 09-13-2010   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Come by Blue Crew any time. The group in general doesn't really ask for anything other than BYOB. There is always plenty of food.

I just plan a menu with my sub group of the Blue Crew and we all pitch $7 in.
I ended up paying up and not eating much cause I was to busy horsing around and drinking ... do I get a refund .
Old 09-13-2010   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
I ended up paying up and not eating much cause I was to busy horsing around and drinking ... do I get a refund .
LMAO - that would NOT be funny.

I'll write a waiver that it is your responsibility to eat
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-13-2010   #15
hobie
Site Contributor

Quote:
That was my next post.

Getting the ENTIRE Blue Crew together plum doesn't make sense (see the demise of FILO).

I'm just referring to the people in my corner - we shoot around menu e-mails a few days prior to the game, Lindsay and I go buy all the food, supplies and booze (and prep everything) and we ask that people bring $7; not everyone plays that way apparently and I would to find a tactful way to do so.
Well speaking from the Orange Lot... there was a time when there was many sub groups like ya'll have, and one day it seemed as everyone got together, which wasn't bad, until someone decided that they were going to be the said group leader... bad idea.. well it lasted all of a year and everyone split up... was not a good thing... Things are better now, certain people are gone, but getting a bunch to "merge" when everyone has their own special thing about themself, only asking for problems !!
Good Luck on fixing your problem !!
Old 09-13-2010   #16
hobie
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, seems that we drop a lot of $ on stuff and just pick or whatever.. I cannot tell you the last time I had a plate of anything at our own tailgate.. Damn, Yankee, I am screwing myself !! 7 bucks, I am crashing yours weekly !!
Old 09-13-2010   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was my next post.

OKay cool. 'Cause my little tailgate handles our business very well. Gibbs goes shopping every Saturday (as do I). He tends to go in the morning and I go in the afternoon. RIght before I go in, I call him to see if he forgot anything that I can grab..

BTW, TK, we accept no tips or money. We only wish people would bring what they want to drink, although there is usually plenty if someone needs something.
Old 09-13-2010   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
More so you TB... take this posting to heart !!
Old 09-13-2010   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
LMAO - that would NOT be funny.

I'll write a waiver that it is your responsibility to eat
When your wife brought that spiked sweet tea for MNF , I got more than my fair share .
Old 09-13-2010   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm coming to the cowboys game. Bringing me my brother and 2 friends. How much should I bring and who should I give my money to? I've always felt welcome when I've been in the past. (shetexan I hung around and waited to say hi, but I had a kid and a long road trip home and thanks for the food/candy/conversation Joe).

I really just look forward to hanging out with some of the people on the board but I feel awkward not giving someone something. I don't know the groups (hell I don't know anyone's real name other than Joe and Ted) well enough to know who is where but I'd love to avoid the confusion. Does bringing money to one group mean that I eat there or what? I don't wanna sound rude, but I'd rather sound rude here and get straightened out than saying nothing and having everyone think I'm rude in person.

Any advice would be welcome.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate > Platinum & Blue Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read