Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2010   #1
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gary showing his Aggie Ways

To try to get 4 more yards when you have a kicker competition and a chance to save a game with a 51 yard feild goal is not fundimental football. I am not sure but I have never seen where Gary Gambled and won that gamble. I think the two things Gary needs this preseason is a book on fundimental football and a Clock around his neck like Flave of Flave, He dont need the grill but the clock might make him reallize that the game is timed. I am a strong Kubiak supporter but come on Coach Test your Kickers!!!
Old 08-15-2010   #2
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary showing his Aggie Ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
To try to get 4 more yards when you have a kicker competition and a chance to save a game with a 51 yard feild goal is not fundimental football. I am not sure but I have never seen where Gary Gambled and won that gamble. I think the two things Gary needs this preseason is a book on fundimental football and a Clock around his neck like Flave of Flave, He dont need the grill but the clock might make him reallize that the game is timed. I am a strong Kubiak supporter but come on Coach Test your Kickers!!!
He did the same thing at Indy last year, when he had Schaub throw a ball
to Jacoby downfield with 15 secs on the clock. Schaub spiked the ball with
ONE SECOND REMAINING IN THE GAME. Chris Brown shanked the
fieldgoal though.

That's one instance he gambled and won.
Old 08-15-2010   #3
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I define winning a gamble as the ability to gamble and win the game, Chris shanking the feild goal means he lost that one too.
Old 08-15-2010   #4
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I define winning a gamble as the ability to gamble and win the game, Chris shanking the feild goal means he lost that one too.
I saw the gamble as moving the kicker closer to the goal before time
expired. Schaub spiking the ball with a second left on the clock means
"mission accomplished."
Old 08-15-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I saw the gamble as moving the kicker closer to the goal before time
expired. Schaub spiking the ball with a second left on the clock means
"mission accomplished."
I agree with you Dex. Gary has no control over the kickers ability to make a kick. Only get him in a better position to increase the odds.

Sometimes people want to blame the coach for everything, but it is the players on the field that have to make it happen.
Old 08-15-2010   #6
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

1) The thread title is dumb.

2) It's preseason, he's giving his guys a chance to go out there and execute in a pressure situation; one of the situations that can't be replicated on the training fields playing against your own team.

3) No coach or player EVER wants overtime in preseason games, it's just asking for an injury.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

But I heard there was only 10 seconds on the clock (with no TOs) last night ? How do you run a play, complete a pass, get back up to the LOS, take a snap from center and spike the ball in under 10 secs ? Maybe with 15 or 20, but 10 secs ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
But I heard there was only 10 seconds on the clock (with no TOs) last night ? How do you run a play, complete a pass, get back up to the LOS, take a snap from center and spike the ball in under 10 secs ? Maybe with 15 or 20, but 10 secs ?
Sideline pass maybe? It was a go route. Into the endzone maybe?
Old 08-15-2010   #9
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
In last night's case, they were expecting a sideline route or incompletion.
Booty took a sack, which is what you CAN'T do.
Old 08-15-2010   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would you play for overtime in a preseason game? It's like going to extra innings in spring training. Nothing is really going to come out of it and you risk suffering an injury if you go to OT.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Sideline pass maybe? It was a go route. Into the endzone maybe?
SL route maybe (not what they did in Indy last year), but would still have to be really quick. Down only 3 points EZ pass would be your walk-off victory scenario right there, no more points needed, game over, end of story.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #12
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

when you have 10 seconds and a 51 yard feild goal and a kicker competition, It would be best to try the kicker to see if he could rise to the occasion in a game type situation. the way itn was played we will never know and a decision on which kicker hangs in the ballance. It is evident that Brown is the man to beat and there really is no competition.
Old 08-15-2010   #13
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree. Thought GK allowed some bone headed play calling tonight. Much of it was good though, which is why its so infuriating. Like the Slaton up the gut on goal line situation. Isn't that why we drafted bigger backs? Isn't that the idea, foster/tate up the middle, slaton next to Schaub out of the shotgun?
c10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think complaining about playcalling in the pre-season is pretty damn silly. Remember, the objectives in pre-season are completely different than the objectives in the regular season (which is to win). Boneheaded playcalling is not really going to be able to be measured by games in which coaches are more looking at how certain players are playing, and not trying to win the game at all costs.

Oh no, boo hoo, Neil Rackers didn't get an attempt on a second FG, here let me change my avatar to something with pink soap on it to reflect my anger at my favorite NFL team! I am angry I tells ya! *writes a long post on a message board* *Opens a beer at 11am on a Sunday because I miss football and argument*
Old 08-15-2010   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You were looking for fundamental football in the first preseason game? Making the 51 yard kick meant overtime. I'd rather take the meaningless loss than stay out there and risk getting someone hurt for a meaningless win. The decision was based on the bigger picture. You already lost your 2nd round rookie RB. Go home, look at the film, stay healthy.

Preseason games should be allowed to end in a tie.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
when you have 10 seconds and a 51 yard feild goal and a kicker competition, It would be best to try the kicker to see if he could rise to the occasion in a game type situation. the way itn was played we will never know and a decision on which kicker hangs in the ballance. It is evident that Brown is the man to beat and there really is no competition.
The only reason you wouldn't try a FG in that situation is if you were trying to rig the K competition. Oh well atleast if Rackers had made the FG we wouldn't have been put through the torture of wacthing K.Brown miss a game winning FG in OT.

Looks like K.Brown is goiung to be the K next year. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

To answer the Aggie ? the answer is that's just what Aggies do. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #17
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Why would you play for overtime in a preseason game? It's like going to extra innings in spring training. Nothing is really going to come out of it and you risk suffering an injury if you go to OT.
I don't look at it as playing for OT, but giving Rackers a fair chance to win the kicking competition. It would be much easier on the coaches to eliminate OT in preseason.
Old 08-15-2010   #18
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Please tell me you are not that ignorant. Every coach does the same exact thing Kubes did. You don't play for overtime in a preseason game. What if Rackets makes it and we lose a few players to injuries? Well at least we know one of our kickers can make a non pressure kick in a meaningless game. Where do you guys come up with this crap?
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #19
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The only reason you wouldn't try a FG in that situation is if you were trying to rig the K competition. Oh well atleast if Rackers had made the FG we wouldn't have been put through the torture of wacthing K.Brown miss a game winning FG in OT.

Looks like K.Brown is goiung to be the K next year. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

To answer the Aggie ? the answer is that's just what Aggies do. LOL
No, the ONLY reason you do not try a FG in that situation is it would have been beyond moronic to send a pre-seaon game into overtime when you have 3 others to see what kicker comes out on top...

Use your heads for more than hat racks people.....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #20
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This whole thread is an epic fail from the start... YOU DO NOT KICK GAME TYING FGs TO SEND PRE-SEASON GAMES INTO OVERTIME!!!!

think before you post, please....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read