Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Fantasy Football Talk Fantasy football and video games

Old 07-15-2010   #1
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FF Draft Suggestions?

Soooooo, in one of my leagues, I recently got my draft order. It's a CBS 12 team league using normal scoring. All TD's are worth 6, 1 point per 10 rush/rec yd, 1 point per 25 passing yards, etc. No PPR

I got the 3rd pick in the draft, and I know that the first two picks will be Chris Johnson followed by Drew Brees.

So who should I take?

I'm leaning towards Andre Johnson, just cause I like to have him and root for him every game, but I know this league is heavy on QB points, so maybe Peyton would be a good pick.

Suggestions, ideas? Who are your top 10-20 picks in order right now?
Old 07-15-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FF Draft Suggestions?

If you want AJ, I would say draft him. Pick up Rodgers are Schaub or Cutler with your second.

Do you have espn insider? If so, go look at Matt Berry's draft manifesto.
Old 07-15-2010   #3
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

When it comes to fantasy football, if you're serious about winning, you need to draft with your head and not your heart. In your scoring rules (no ppr), receivers are weak. You should be considering Peyton or Adrian Peterson. Personally, I'd go Peterson, and hopefully Rodgers or even Schaub is still there in the 2nd. If you really really must have AJ, and if your league allows it, try trading down.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If you want AJ, I would say draft him. Pick up Rodgers are Schaub or Cutler with your second.

Yeah, I just read that, and he makes a lot of good points. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
When it comes to fantasy football, if you're serious about winning, you need to draft with your head and not your heart. In your scoring rules (no ppr), receivers are weak. You should be considering Peyton or Adrian Peterson. Personally, I'd go Peterson, and hopefully Rodgers or even Schaub is still there in the 2nd. If you really really must have AJ, and if your league allows it, try trading down.
For this league, it's just for fun. No money for the winner, but you get your name on a huge football trophy that resembles the Lombardi trophy and you get to keep it on your desk so long as you are the reining champion. If you get dead last, you get a trophy with a toilet on top of a wooden block with your name on it
Old 07-16-2010   #5
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, I just read that, and he makes a lot of good points. Thanks!

For this league, it's just for fun. No money for the winner, but you get your name on a huge football trophy that resembles the Lombardi trophy and you get to keep it on your desk so long as you are the reining champion. If you get dead last, you get a trophy with a toilet on top of a wooden block with your name on it
If AD is sitting there at the 3rd pick you would be crazy not to pick him IMO. There are basically 3 elite RB's in the league (AD, MJD, and Chris Johnson) and CJ has only done it once. On the other hand there are a bunch of good QB's, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Brady, Schaub, Rivers, Favre (I could see any of these guys leading their position in points). Plus you have a lot of decent tier 2 guys like Romo, Mcnabb, Cutler, Eli Manning, or even Kolb.

That's 12 QB's that I would feel comfortable starting for my team. I would grab the best of the big 3 backs in round one then see how many QB's come off the board by your next pick. If you still have one of your top rated QB's sitting there, then grab him. If every team grabs a QB with one of their first 2 picks then I would stockpile RB's and WR's and grab my signal caller in the 6th or seventh.
Old 07-16-2010   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Don't draft division rivals or players on teams that you really hate. It's suicide all year trying to deal with pulling for people for fantasy purposes and hoping that team can still lose. But i drafted CJ and Peyton in two seperate drafts this year so i am a hypocrite.
Old 07-16-2010   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Don't draft division rivals or players on teams that you really hate. It's suicide all year trying to deal with pulling for people for fantasy purposes and hoping that team can still lose. But i drafted CJ and Peyton in two seperate drafts this year so i am a hypocrite.
I've gotta really disagree with this line of thinking, for the same reason you don't overvalue players on "your" team. For one thing, taking all Colts out of play is pretty much FF suicide.

Draft who you believe will get you the most points - screw who they play for.
Old 07-16-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I've gotta really disagree with this line of thinking, for the same reason you don't overvalue players on "your" team. For one thing, taking all Colts out of play is pretty much FF suicide.

Exactly right. I just watch to make sure I don't get too many players that share a bye week.
Old 07-16-2010   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Soooooo, in one of my leagues, I recently got my draft order. It's a CBS 12 team league using normal scoring. All TD's are worth 6, 1 point per 10 rush/rec yd, 1 point per 25 passing yards, etc. No PPR

I got the 3rd pick in the draft, and I know that the first two picks will be Chris Johnson followed by Drew Brees.

So who should I take?

I'm leaning towards Andre Johnson, just cause I like to have him and root for him every game, but I know this league is heavy on QB points, so maybe Peyton would be a good pick.

Suggestions, ideas? Who are your top 10-20 picks in order right now?
In any league where all TD's are worth 6 points I suggest you take a QB in the top 8. Brees, Schaub, Manning, Rodgers, Maybe Brady.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #10
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

AJ will go first round. LOCK. I doubt Rodgers or Schaub are around at the bottom of the 2nd.
Old 07-16-2010   #11
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

My post was very tongue-in-cheek, i guess no one caught it. I pick players on division rivals nearly every year, and although i win, i hate myself for doing it. That's the point i was trying to make.
Old 07-16-2010   #12
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
AJ will go first round. LOCK. I doubt Rodgers or Schaub are around at the bottom of the 2nd.

In my draft yesterday i got Schaub in the 4th.
Old 07-16-2010   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
In any league where all TD's are worth 6 points I suggest you take a QB in the top 8. Brees, Schaub, Manning, Rodgers, Maybe Brady.
This is now my thinking. Looking at the top 10 scorers in the league last year, 13 of the top 16 scorers were QBs, and the 3 RBs that fill out the top 16 are CJ, AP and MJD @ 16. Rodgers was #1, then Brees, Farve and Manning. So I think I will go with Aaron Rodgers because the Packers are my favorite NFC team and he will do wonders win an improved O-line. Just hope they don't go for more running plays...

Second round I will try to get a great RB or WR, but it will all depend on how the other 17 picks go in between.
Old 07-16-2010   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
If AD is sitting there at the 3rd pick you would be crazy not to pick him IMO. There are basically 3 elite RB's in the league (AD, MJD, and Chris Johnson) and CJ has only done it once. On the other hand there are a bunch of good QB's, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Brady, Schaub, Rivers, Favre (I could see any of these guys leading their position in points). Plus you have a lot of decent tier 2 guys like Romo, Mcnabb, Cutler, Eli Manning, or even Kolb.

That's 12 QB's that I would feel comfortable starting for my team. I would grab the best of the big 3 backs in round one then see how many QB's come off the board by your next pick. If you still have one of your top rated QB's sitting there, then grab him. If every team grabs a QB with one of their first 2 picks then I would stockpile RB's and WR's and grab my signal caller in the 6th or seventh.
I get where you're coming from, but the difference between the top 3 QB's total last year, and the 10-12 QB's is about 100 points on the season in this league. QB is the most important position, followed by RB, then WR. Rodgers was very consistent last year, and I think he's ready to do it again. I can probably get him and a top WR or RB at the end of the 2nd.
Old 07-16-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is now my thinking. Looking at the top 10 scorers in the league last year, 13 of the top 16 scorers were QBs, and the 3 RBs that fill out the top 16 are CJ, AP and MJD @ 16. Rodgers was #1, then Brees, Farve and Manning. So I think I will go with Aaron Rodgers because the Packers are my favorite NFC team and he will do wonders win an improved O-line. Just hope they don't go for more running plays...

Second round I will try to get a great RB or WR, but it will all depend on how the other 17 picks go in between.
I would seriously consider taking AP if he were there and a QB in the 2nd. Look at the point differential between the top 3 rb's and the next level, and then look at the differential of the QB's. I think you can still get one of the top 10 QB in the second.
Old 07-16-2010   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Exactly right. I just watch to make sure I don't get too many players that share a bye week.
Last year I actually drafted so that 6 of my starters all shared the same bye week. I basically threw week 4, and won most of the games but missed the playoffs by 1 So that strategy kinda worked...
Old 07-16-2010   #17
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
In my draft yesterday i got Schaub in the 4th.
Is your league also 6 points for a passing TD?
Old 07-16-2010   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
I would seriously consider taking AP if he were there and a QB in the 2nd. Look at the point differential between the top 3 rb's and the next level, and then look at the differential of the QB's. I think you can still get one of the top 10 QB in the second.
Ok, just did some mock drafts and wow, all the good RBs are off the board in the first two rounds. Even Brady, Romo, Favre and Schaub all made it to the picks 32 and later in both mocks. So yeah, RB it is...

CJ will likely be #1, Brees #2 because that guy is a huge Saints fan. So, Adrian Peterson or MJD?
Old 07-16-2010   #19
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ok, just did some mock drafts and wow, all the good RBs are off the board in the first two rounds. Even Brady, Romo, Favre and Schaub all made it to the picks 32 and later in both mocks. So yeah, RB it is...

CJ will likely be #1, Brees #2 because that guy is a huge Saints fan. So, Adrian Peterson or MJD?
AP all day
Old 07-16-2010   #20
Blake
MMQB

Quote:

If you are going to wait until round 2 for a QB, then I would go with Andre Johnson. If you would rather take a RB, then go Peterson.

FYI I would consider taking Ray Rice before I took MJD. Just me talkin.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read