Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-07-2004   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't broken down the figures but we weren't playing catch-up too often even though we had a losing record. We just got pounded in the 4th quarters of most games due to the offense not being able to convert any first downs. There were not too many comeback scenarios. Mostly just a team falling apart in crunch time due to inexperience and lack of depth.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004   #22
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by __V__
I haven't broken down the figures but we weren't playing catch-up too often even though we had a losing record.
would you say we played catch up often enough to make a 1% diffrence?
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
nice post infantry. good info. but wouldnt those numbers be somewhat jaded from a team with a 5-11 record? to get a better idea of what the coaches intend our offense to be (what % pass run etc...) wouldnt we have to look at the playcalling when the score for both teams was even ,and the clock was a non-factor?

i would think most of the teams with losing records pass more then run inorder to catch up. just a thought.

i think carr's freedom to finally call plays at the line will be a huge factor this season as well. that maybe a another good reason we throw deep more often.
As Vinny said, I don't think we were playing for behind as were say the Cardinals. In fact, as we know we lost a number of games on come from behind wins where we were trying to protect leads so the offense was playing safe and playing even more run than normal and the D failed--in other words our late games were not always attempts to come from behind throw it all the time desperation attempts. Basic point was that overall compared to the NFL last year we were slightly run oriented--not surprising for a team with rookies and a rotation of wounded QB's. Add even better pass protection this year and expect the pass % to be from 52-54%. Capers is not going to get away from ball control, but it isn't as out of line as many feel. People that like a wide open offense will always feel we are running 60+ % of the time even when we pass 53% of the time. I also think/hope that giving Carr more flexibility will result in the Texans moving a bit more to an open offense--hopefully those attempts succeed.
Old 07-07-2004   #24
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Capers is not going to get away from ball control

People that like a wide open offense will always feel we are running 60+ % of the time even when we pass 53% of the time.

i agree on both accounts. i think a contributing factor to the widespread notion we're so conservative is that so many of our passing plays last year were for such short yardage.

but while we were in plenty of games last year for an extended period of those games, i still think that come from behind mentality (i.e. pass to catch up and perserve the clock) had a statistical effect. we were behind in enough games to make a diffrence in the numbers you shared. at least 1-3 %.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004   #25
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we will change the % of pass much (52-54% range), but I suspect we will move the range of throws a bit further down field. Last year we threw short and hoped the reciever, typicaly AJ, would get good YAC. A more than 5 yard throw was not very common, but sometimes we wound up with 15-20 yards as a result. This year I look for the 10-20 yard range to be the common throwing range and the good YAC after that could result in some NICE gaines, because once your past 15-20 yards, there aren't to many defenders left and AJ or Bradford can out run almost anyone in the league and AJ is a BEAR for any DB to bring down.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #26
donbmt
Veteran

That article is exactly what I've been saying for two years, just look at my signature.
Old 07-12-2004   #27
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbmt
That article is exactly what I've been saying for two years, just look at my signature.
The difference between this year and the last two years is that this year we have talent at every position on offense...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #28
H-TownRules
Veteran

Exclamation

I'd like to see more of Derrick Armstrong. I keep hearing good things about him from the players and coaches and I'd like to see his stuff. If he has as good of hands as some are saying, he may find his way into more plays this season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read